 Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 18:32:18 EST
 From: Network Mailer <UUCPGATE@UUCPGATE.PRINCETON.EDU>
 To: CHINA-NN@ASUACAD.BITNET
 Subject: mail delivery error

 Batch SMTP transaction log follows:

 220 UUCPGATE.PRINCETON.EDU Columbia MAILER R2.08 BSMTP service ready.
 050 HELO PSUVM.PSU.EDU
 250 UUCPGATE.PRINCETON.EDU Hello PSUVM.PSU.EDU
 050 TICK 3246
 250 3246 ... that's the ticket.
 050 MAIL FROM:<CHINA-NN@ASUACAD.BITNET>
 250 <CHINA-NN@ASUACAD.BITNET>... sender OK.
 050 RCPT TO:<YIN@CODEX.UUCP>
 250 <YIN@CODEX.UUCP>... recipient OK.
 050 RCPT TO:<LOO@TOPO.UUCP>
 250 <LOO@TOPO.UUCP>... recipient OK.
 050 RCPT TO:<renwei%lilit@INESC.UUCP>
 250 <renwei%lilit@INESC.UUCP>... recipient OK.
 050 RCPT TO:<renwei%leia@INESC.UUCP>
 250 <renwei%leia@INESC.UUCP>... recipient OK.
 050 RCPT TO:<FRANCIS@FRNKMTH.UUCP>
 250 <FRANCIS@FRNKMTH.UUCP>... recipient OK.
 050 RCPT TO:<lee@DUKEAC.UUCP>
 250 <lee@DUKEAC.UUCP>... recipient OK.
 050 DATA
 354 Start mail input.  End with <crlf>.<crlf>
 554-Mail not delivered to some or all recipients:
 554-Mail service is not available for .uucp
 554-Mail service is not available for .uucp
 554-Mail service is not available for .uucp
 554-Mail service is not available for .uucp
 554-Mail service is not available for .uucp
 554 Mail service is not available for .uucp
 050 QUIT
 221 UUCPGATE.PRINCETON.EDU Columbia MAILER BSMTP service done.

 Original message follows:

 Date:         Thu, 28 Feb 91 16:28:33 -0500
 Sender:       China News Network <CHINA-NN@ASUACAD.BITNET>
 From:         cnd-editor@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
 Subject:      Feb. 28, China News Digest
 To:           Multiple recipients of list CHINA-NN <CHINA-NN@ASUACAD>

                   * C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t *

Now, am I supposed to drop '.UUCP', making the address something like
	lee%dukeac@uucpgate.princeton.edu
or
	dukeac!lee@uucpgate.princeton.edu
or maybe I should route the messages via uunet.uu.net?  And what'd be the
appropriate format for address in that case?  These are probably dumb
questions, but I've never sent UUCP mail before...
  Any response via email or on the net will be appreciated.
  Thanks,
	Lite

fenner@jazz.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (03/07/91)

In article <9103060344.AA22355@cs.wmich.edu> lin@CS.WMICH.EDU (Lite Lin) writes:

|Hello,
|  While trying to send messages from a BITNET site to some UUCP sites
|via UUCPGATE, I got the following error message.

|  with BSMTP id 8068; Mon, 04 Mar 91 18:32:18 EST

This in itself is curious; there doesn't seem to be a machine called uucpgate
in the princeton.edu domain.

In any case, this means that the mailer at uucpgate.princeton.edu says:
| 554-Mail service is not available for .uucp

Which seems to imply that either they named their site very badly, or there's
something wrong.  I might suggest sending mail to
postmaster@uucpgate.princeton.edu.  (ignoring, of course, that
uucpgate.princeton.edu doesn't exist.)

|or maybe I should route the messages via uunet.uu.net?
Don't do this unless the person you're mailing to is a direct uunet customer.
They are not a general UUCP smarthost.

  Bill
--
Bill Fenner     fenner@jazz.psu.edu     ..psuvax1!hogbbs!wcfpc!wcf