[comp.mail.uucp] getting UUCP expect/send scripts working

george@wciu.wciu.edu (George Peavy) (03/05/91)

I'm just learning UUCP, and am trying to get working on my system.  I'm running
Sys V r 3.0 on an Unisys 6000/51 platform.

Here's the problem: I have things working enough that I can call out manually
using cu, but when I attach to a remote system, the expect/send set up in my
Systems file are being ignored (I have checked this using cu -d).  Thus, my
attempts to get uucico to work so far have been in vain.

Is there something I'm missing? Some reference I've missed? RTFM?

Email and/or posting would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
George Peavy

(george@wciu.edu)

In article <1991Mar4.213742.17329@wciu.EDU> george@wciu.wciu.edu (George Peavy) writes:

>Here's the problem: I have things working enough that I can call out manually
>using cu, but when I attach to a remote system, the expect/send set up in my
>Systems file are being ignored (I have checked this using cu -d).  Thus, my
>attempts to get uucico to work so far have been in vain.

Cu doesn't attempt to execute the login script in the Systems file.  If you
want to debug this script, try using:
/usr/lib/uucp/Uutry -r remote_name
which is a shell script that runs uucico with debugging on and the
output redirected to a file.  You are then put into a "tail -f" of
the file so you can watch what happens.  Note that (a) you need
read permission on the Systems file or you won't see the real strings,
(b) you have to interrupt out of the tail -f, and (c) when you
interrupt out, the uucico is still running, so you either have to wait
until it fails to try the same system again or use ps to find its
process id and kill it.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

terry@jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar4.213742.17329@wciu.EDU>, george@wciu.wciu.edu (George Peavy) writes:
> Here's the problem: I have things working enough that I can call out manually
> using cu, but when I attach to a remote system, the expect/send set up in my
> Systems file are being ignored (I have checked this using cu -d).  Thus, my
> attempts to get uucico to work so far have been in vain.

'cu' doesn't use the Systems file! The only file you must configure to
get cu to work is Devices. (I am assuming that Dialers is okay).

So, when you use 'cu' with the debug option, it is displaying the
expect/send sequence from Dialers, NOT Systems.

If you want to test a uucico link, you want to run it with the
'x' option, e.g.
		   uucico -r1 -x9 -sRemote_system

where the number with the x sets the debug level (amount of detail
reported). The most detail is reported with the x9 option.

You are on the right track in trying to use a debug option to get
uucico to work. I don't think I would try to get a link working without
using the debut option. It's just that you need the debug mode of
uucico (the -x#), rather that the debug mode of cu.

Remember, when using the debugging option, is that the failure
occurs where you have a problem. Fix the problem, and do it
again, until you finally get it to work.

Also, remember that a option such as -x9 displays a *lot* of
information which you may not understand. But that's okay. You
are basically looking to see where the various expect/send
sequences fail, and you should be able to figure that out from
the output.

Good luck.
|  Terry Linhardt      The Lafayette Group      uunet!jgaltstl!terry  |

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar05.173537.14831@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1991Mar4.213742.17329@wciu.EDU> george@wciu.wciu.edu (George Peavy) writes:
>
>>Here's the problem: I have things working enough that I can call out manually
>>using cu, but when I attach to a remote system, the expect/send set up in my
>>Systems file are being ignored (I have checked this using cu -d).  Thus, my
>>attempts to get uucico to work so far have been in vain.
>
>Cu doesn't attempt to execute the login script in the Systems file.

Les, not necessarily. In quite a few HDB implementations, "cu systemname" is
quite valid, and there's even a mechanism for having individual sets of Systems
Dialers, and Devices files: a set for uucp to use, another for cu, and yet
another for ct.

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

In article <1991Mar08.054130.12990@jpradley.jpr.com> jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

>>Cu doesn't attempt to execute the login script in the Systems file.

>Les, not necessarily. In quite a few HDB implementations, "cu systemname" is
>quite valid, and there's even a mechanism for having individual sets of Systems
>Dialers, and Devices files: a set for uucp to use, another for cu, and yet
>another for ct.

True enough, but cu still doesn't attempt to execute the login script
found in the Systems file.  Otherwise you would end up logged in as
"nuucp" or something equally useless for interactive work.  Cu just
uses the device and phone number fields to set up the connection.  The
original question regarded debugging the uucico login script which is
ignored by cu.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar09.213352.3942@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1991Mar08.054130.12990@jpradley.jpr.com> jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>
>>>Cu doesn't attempt to execute the login script in the Systems file.
>
>>Les, not necessarily. In quite a few HDB implementations, "cu systemname" is
>>quite valid, and there's even a mechanism for having individual sets of Systems
>>Dialers, and Devices files: a set for uucp to use, another for cu, and yet
>>another for ct.
>
>True enough, but cu still doesn't attempt to execute the login script
>found in the Systems file.  Otherwise you would end up logged in as
>"nuucp" or something equally useless for interactive work.  Cu just
>uses the device and phone number fields to set up the connection.  The
>original question regarded debugging the uucico login script which is
>ignored by cu.

Reread what I wrote. One can set up two entirely Systems files, e.g.
Systems.cico and Systems.uucp. Thus, a chat script be run by uucico would
differ from a chat script to be run by cu.
Do you have a Sysfiles.eg in your /usr/lib/uucp?

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

In article <1991Mar10.193008.3732@jpradley.jpr.com> jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

[re: cu chatting]
>Reread what I wrote. One can set up two entirely Systems files, e.g.
>Systems.cico and Systems.uucp. Thus, a chat script be run by uucico would
>differ from a chat script to be run by cu.
>Do you have a Sysfiles.eg in your /usr/lib/uucp?

Yes, I have Sysfiles, and I have run cu and uucico both with the same
and different Systems files in different circumstances.  In no case
has cu ever executed the login script found in its Systems file even
if Sysfiles specified that it was for cu's use only.  I'm
running AT&T SysVr3 (and previous releases did the same).  Perhaps
other versions are different.  I would like to have that functionality
and have occasionally faked it with the "modem-class" specification
in the Systems file selecting a Device entry which selects a Dialer
script which performs the login chat as well.  This works but it is
somewhat contorted in that you have to repeat the Device entry for
every device capable of making the connection and this becomes difficult
if these devices might need different scripts for the dialing portion.
I would prefer for it to work as you say, even though you would be
forced to use different Systems files for cu and uucico to make
cu systemname useful.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us