[comp.mail.uucp] Annex outdial in UUCP

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (03/08/91)

Has anyone added support for direct telnet outdial to an Annex terminal
in some flavor of UUCP?

We do this now by using Annex's rtelnet, a user process that presents
a device interface to a telnet connection, which does work. I just think
we would get better performance without dragging the data through an
extra process.

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

dave@exloghou.portal.com (Dave St.Clair) (03/14/91)

In article <7132@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
> Has anyone added support for direct telnet outdial to an Annex terminal
> in some flavor of UUCP?
>
> We do this now by using Annex's rtelnet, a user process that presents
> a device interface to a telnet connection, which does work. I just think
> we would get better performance without dragging the data through an
> extra process.
>

> --
> Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED

We use an ANNEX terminal server and circumvent the use
of rtelnet by connecting directly to the port on the socket
level.  I didn't see too much change in performance, but at
least I don't have an unneeded process running.

The following are sample entries from my Devices and Systems
file.  Since I'm using the built-in TCP "dialer", I've had to
include the modem DIALER entry(MultiTech V.32/V.42) in
the Systems file.  This method assumes your UUCP supports TCP.
The name of the terminal server in the sample is "annex", the
port is 3.

Devices
-------
TCP,et - - Any TCP -

Systems
-------
machineA Any TCP,getfx 7003 annex "" AT&W1Z OK ATDT123456 CONNECT login: test

In the Systems file, I'm forcing a preference for the 'g' protocol since
I'm going over phone lines.

For the ANNEX, I've set the mode = adaptive and type = dial_in.  You may
want to set mode = slave if your modem is only outbound.

This method should work for most terminal servers, we use it
on Emulex and Lantronix as well.

Hope this helps.

Dave St.Clair
dave@exloghou.portal.com

P.S.

If anyone knows of a way to not include the Dialers entry in the Systems
file, let me know.