[comp.mail.uucp] Need help getting chat scripts working

knutson@weber.sw.mcc.com (Jim Knutson) (03/16/91)

I have a problem setting up some chat scripts.  Several hosts that
I have been attempting to setup connections with are not responding
to the script in a manner that I understand.

First of all, here is an example Systems entry:

hostA Any ACU 2400 hostA "" "" login:--login:--login: mylogin ssword: mypw

If I run uucico in debug mode, I get:
expect: ("")
got it
""
sendthem (^M)
expect: (login:)
 2400^G^J^M^J^MNO ERROR CONTROL^J^M^Mtimed out
sendthem (^M)
expect: (login:)
^M^B`'^Sj77e'a~^J^M ^H^J^MIDLE^J^Mlost line errno - 0
sendthem (^M)
expect: (login:)
lost line errno - 0

Note that there is no login: prompt displayed after sending two CR.
If I use cu to call and hand type the CR, login name and password, it
all works fine.

Now if I modify the chat script to use odd parity, e.g.:

hostA Any ACU 2400 hostA "" P_ODD "" "" login:--login:--login: mylogin ssword: mypw

expect: ("")
got it
expect: ("")
got it
""
sendthem (^M)
expect: (login:)
 2400^G^J^M^J^MNO ERROR CONTROL^J^M^M^M^J^J^I^M^J^JhostA!login:got it
sendthem (mylogin^M)
expect: (ssword:)
 mylogin^M^JPassword:got it
sendthem (mypw^M)
imsg >^M^JLogin incorrect^M^Jlogin:

Does anyone out there know if the problem is on my side or the remote side
and what can be done about it?  I'm really frustrated because everything
works when using cu and typing things in by hand, but doesn't work worth
a bean when uucico tries it.

--
Jim Knutson
knutson@mcc.com

jh@moon.nbn.com (John Harkin) (03/18/91)

knutson@weber.sw.mcc.com (Jim Knutson) writes:

>I have a problem setting up some chat scripts.  Several hosts that
>I have been attempting to setup connections with are not responding
>to the script in a manner that I understand.

>First of all, here is an example Systems entry:

>hostA Any ACU 2400 hostA "" "" login:--login:--login: mylogin ssword: mypw

>If I run uucico in debug mode, I get:
[debug output deleted]
>Note that there is no login: prompt displayed after sending two CR.
>If I use cu to call and hand type the CR, login name and password, it
>all works fine.

>Now if I modify the chat script to use odd parity, e.g.:

>hostA Any ACU 2400 hostA "" P_ODD "" "" login:--login:--login: mylogin ssword: mypw
[more debug output deleted - he got a login prompt, but his login and passwd
weren't recognized]
>Does anyone out there know if the problem is on my side or the remote side
>and what can be done about it?  I'm really frustrated because everything
>works when using cu and typing things in by hand, but doesn't work worth
>a bean when uucico tries it.

I just went through this.  When I upgraded to Sun OS 4.1.1 I could no longer
login to any systems based on PC's!

I had to change my outgoing STTY setup to fix it.  You are on the right
track.  It took me days to finally figure out I had to setup as 8Z1
to make it work.  Here is the Dialers entry for hayes that I ended up
with:

[This is all one line, I split it for readability and transportibility.]
hayes	=,-,	"" STTY=cs8 "" STTY=-cstopb "" P_ZERO ""
\dA\pTE1V1X1Q0S2=255S12=255\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

I found it was important to set the STTY before dialing.  With this
entry everything works as before.  If anyone can explain it, I'd love
to know.

John
--
John Harkin    +1 415 472-2452    uunet!moon!jh    jh@nbn.com
North Bay Network - News and mail for Marin county and vicinity

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (03/19/91)

jh@moon.nbn.com (John Harkin) writes:

>[This is all one line, I split it for readability and transportibility.]
>hayes	=,-,	"" STTY=cs8 "" STTY=-cstopb "" P_ZERO ""
>\dA\pTE1V1X1Q0S2=255S12=255\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

>I found it was important to set the STTY before dialing.  With this
>entry everything works as before.  If anyone can explain it, I'd love
>to know.

I recently upgraded to SunOS 4.1 as well, and all that was necessary
for my setup was to stick ' "" P_ZERO ' at the begining of the login
chat script. 7Z1 looks a lot like 8N1 with a zero high bit, after all.

--
Nick Sayer              | Think of me as a recombinant    | RIP: Mel Blanc
mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us | Simpson: Homer's looks, Lisa's  |   1908-1989