[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP Over 7-bit connection

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (03/12/91)

I have reason to want my UUCP to call through a certain 7-bit connection...

Is this likely to be more trouble than it is worth???

I wasn't sure if UUCP required 8-bits or not...  I've managed to get my
expect/send prompts finely tuned to the new connection, but it times out
one expect/send past password...  (Debug says it got something it was
looking for, but then it just sits there...)

Can anyone tell me anything I might try???

-Leon

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (03/18/91)

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) writes:

>I have reason to want my UUCP to call through a certain 7-bit connection...

>Is this likely to be more trouble than it is worth???

no, no problem.

>I wasn't sure if UUCP required 8-bits or not...  I've managed to get my
>expect/send prompts finely tuned to the new connection, but it times out
>one expect/send past password...  (Debug says it got something it was
>looking for, but then it just sits there...)

>Can anyone tell me anything I might try???

you must use f protocol to do this. in fact i receive a full news
feed with it. of course news (and other 8bit data) should be 7 bit
encoded before transmission.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar17.224601.27427@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
> you must use f protocol to do this. in fact i receive a full news
> feed with it. of course news (and other 8bit data) should be 7 bit
> encoded before transmission.

The last time I looked at the UUCP 'f' protocol code (which was just
seconds ago), it explicitly quotes the 8'th bit using the following
conversions:
/* Byte conversion:
 *
 *   from        pre       to
 * 000-037       172     100-137
 * 040-171               040-171
 * 172-177       173     072-077
 * 200-237       174     100-137
 * 240-371       175     040-171
 * 372-377       176     072-077
 */

I.e. 'f' actually lets you transmit 8-bit data through a 7-bit only
link with UUCP.  I.e. 'f' is 8-bit transparent.

I've used 'f' several times over x.25 links (for which it was designed
to do).  Thankfully some vendors have included 'f' in their UUCP's,
since even with the file from which the following opening comment was
taken, binary only sites are stuck.

/* $Header: fio.c,v 1.20 85/04/30 12:57:32 rick Exp $ */
/*	%M%	%I%	%E%	(Mathematisch Centrum)	*/
/*
 * flow control protocol.
 *
 * This protocol relies on flow control of the data stream.
 * It is meant for working over links that can (almost) be
 * guaranteed to be errorfree, specifically X.25/PAD links.
 * A sumcheck is carried out over a whole file only. If a
 * transport fails the receiver can request retransmission(s).
 * This protocol uses a 7-bit datapath only, so it can be
 * used on links that are not 8-bit transparent.
 *
[... how to set up an X.25 PAD with X.28/X.29 ...]
 *
 * Author: Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam, Sep 1984
 */

On the other hand, AT&T's 'e' protocol may work over 7-bit paths, if
the data has the 8'th bit quoted.  I don't know if the rest of the
protocol is 8-bit transparent though.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

david@bacchus.esa.oz.au (David Burren [Athos]) (03/25/91)

In <1991Mar22.001432.1420@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:

>In article <1991Mar17.224601.27427@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>> you must use f protocol to do this. in fact i receive a full news
>> feed with it. of course news (and other 8bit data) should be 7 bit
>> encoded before transmission.

>The last time I looked at the UUCP 'f' protocol code (which was just
>seconds ago), it explicitly quotes the 8'th bit using the following
>conversions:
>/* Byte conversion:
> *
> *   from        pre       to
> * 000-037       172     100-137
> * 040-171               040-171
> * 172-177       173     072-077
> * 200-237       174     100-137
> * 240-371       175     040-171
> * 372-377       176     072-077
> */

>I.e. 'f' actually lets you transmit 8-bit data through a 7-bit only
>link with UUCP.  I.e. 'f' is 8-bit transparent.

Ah yes, but sending 8-bit data over it will blow up the transmissions by
causing multiple characters to be sent.  If you get your news batcher to
compress to 7-bit data then the only characters that need to be quoted are
those from 000-037 and 172-177.

I would have thought this would give you much better throughput on the line.

Didn't someone (in Germany?) do a 'k' protocol in their PC UUCP that sent
data over 7-bit links?
David Burren [Athos]                          Email: david@bacchus.esa.oz.au
Software Development Engineer                 Phone: +61 3 819 4554
Expert Solutions Australia, Hawthorn, VIC     Fax:   +61 3 819 5580
			[speaking for myself of course]

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar22.001432.1420@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>On the other hand, AT&T's 'e' protocol may work over 7-bit paths, if
>the data has the 8'th bit quoted.  I don't know if the rest of the
>protocol is 8-bit transparent though.

Neither the 't' nor 'e' protocols will work over what one would normally con-
sider a "7-bit path," like a PAD. 't' binary encodes its header, and 'e' has
a NULL terminated ASCII string in its header. Of course, the real problem with
't' and 'e' is that neither does an error checking. They're strictly for use
over error-free transport protocols, like TCP/IP or an OSI stack. (Can you
see it? uucico 'e' protocol over OSI Session over TP4 over SNDCF over X.25.)

On the 'f' protocol, note that for really random binary data -- like compress
output -- you are better off prefiltering the data through an encoder like
btoa or the Netnews encode program. The 'f' 8-bit quoting can add 50% to the
size of the data, while atob adds a fixed 18%, and ~news/encode 11% or so. But
if speed and/or transmission cost are not that important, then 'f' will handle
8-bit data just fine.

<csg>