[comp.mail.uucp] Dbase iii & fido net...

Richard.Burbridge@p0.f338.n103.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Burbridge) (03/25/91)

Yo Dave,

  Thanks for the reply, long time no see...

  Thanks for the info on Fido, chatted with Jim Ward, and will be
sending the message into the Net as soon as I get the d'bridge program
all tightened up....

  As far as the dBase Indexing program, I was able to contact the
writer of the program that I am using, and he will is going to create a
program for me.  Also Mike Cobb offered also, just found that one out,
and will be giving him a call later on today.  Would be a cheaper fon
call.

  Be seein ya on the shore line sometime soon, for a brew, and have a
safe journey.

Richard

--- QM v1.00
 * Origin: The Archivist's Scroll (714) 996-0805 (1:103/338.0)

--
Richard Burbridge - via FidoNet node 1:324/121 (UUCP/UseNet<->FidoNet gateway)
UUCP:  wizvax!buscard!103!338.0!Richard.Burbridge
\wizvax!buscard!103!338.0!Richard.Burbridge

Richard.Burbridge@p0.f338.n103.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Burbridge) (03/25/91)

Thanks alot Chuck, I appreciate it.  However, I am not a programmer, and
am not sure what you are referencing when you talk about a Library.
This program that you called SOFTC, will that create the Indexing or is
this something else, and you have to write the program for indexing all
together ?

My situation is temporary and cannot receive calls after 11 PM, Daily,
so will have to wait until I can recieve inbound calls 24 hours before I
commit to FIDO...

I read the FIDO Policies, and will make sure that I am more permanent
with the telephone number that I am using.  I am not sure that I want to
annoy the NET by change numbers.

The D'Bridge program made reference to me just polling my messages, if
that were possible, then I could start now, but as far as other systems
calling in, that I would not be able to do right now...

Thanks for the help,

Cheers
Richard Burbridge

P.S. - what is the number to your system, so that I can check things out
over there.... ?

Chuck.McKnight@f104.n170.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chuck McKnight) (03/26/91)

 RB>Thanks alot Chuck, I appreciate it.  However, I am not a
 RB>programmer, and am not sure what you are referencing when you talk
 RB>about a Library. This program that you called SOFTC, will that
 RB>create the Indexing or is this something else, and you have to
 RB>write the program for indexing all together ?

Richard,

   A library in the programming sense is a collection of
pre-compiled routines that have been collected together in one
place.  Sort of like going to the public library looking for a
book.  SOFTC is a shareware library for the C language that
allows interfacing with dBase.  I was volunteering to write the
program for you in case you weren't a programmer.

 RB>The D'Bridge program made reference to me just polling my messages,
 RB>if that were possible, then I could start now, but as far as other
 RB>systems calling in, that I would not be able to do right now...

   You could run a part-time system (I did until I got a second
phone line).  Your entry in the nodelist would reflect this.

 RB>P.S. - what is the number to your system, so that I can check
 RB>things out over there.... ?

   It's 918 834 7402 in Tulsa, OK.  :-)

--- XBBS/HEd 1.17 & XST23a
 * Origin: The C-Shore BBS (45:540/104) (1:170/104)

--
Chuck McKnight - via FidoNet node 1:324/121 (UUCP/UseNet<->FidoNet gateway)
UUCP:  wizvax!buscard!170!104!Chuck.McKnight

Richard.Burbridge@p0.f338.n103.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Burbridge) (03/28/91)

Chuck,

  That sounds great.  I appreciate the help.  If this would create those
index files, or at least be able to convert the DBF file to something
that would work, that would be great.  The program will allow read only
of dBase Files, as long as it's indexed.  I most likely sound pretty
dumb to you right now, but BBS'ing is my expertise, not database files
and compiling.  You have me at a slight loss.... Sorry....

  Thanks for the suggestion about Part-Time System... I was hoping that
something like that    WAS   possible...  I will set it up and send the
node here a message with d'bridge as required in Policy 4....

  Again thanks, and let me know what you can do.  Will call your system,
and upload some programs to ya...