[comp.mail.uucp] Getting uucico to send 1 packet at a time, wait for ack

splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) (04/05/91)

Does anyone have experience running uucp over a packet network or stat mux?
I am attempting to run uucp over an stat mux. The basic problem is that,
being a stat mux, it flows controls (xoff/xon) when you get ahead of its
available bandwidth. The version of uucico that I run is somehow set
to stream 3 packets before requiring an ack from the other side. Trouble, is
the stat mux has given an xoff by this time and everything goes to pot. The
buffer size on the mux is enough for 1 packet, but HOW DO I SET UUCICO
TO SEND ONE PACKET AND THEN WAIT FOR ACK? I cannot find any docs on this.
One side is running HP-UX version (SYS V) and the other side Sun OS.

I realize that this will slow down throughput a bit, but it's that or not
having it at all. If anyone knows how to set up uucico to wait after
each packet, I would be very grateful.

Seng-Poh Lee		splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (04/06/91)

splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) writes:

>Does anyone have experience running uucp over a packet network or stat mux?

	Well, we've been successful over our agency's Consolidated Data
Network (a PSN) and local Tellabs/David muxes.

>I am attempting to run uucp over an stat mux. The basic problem is that,
>being a stat mux, it flows controls (xoff/xon) when you get ahead of its
>available bandwidth. The version of uucico that I run is somehow set
>to stream 3 packets before requiring an ack from the other side. Trouble, is
>the stat mux has given an xoff by this time and everything goes to pot.

	Many PSN's and muxes allow for permanent or on-the-fly disabling
of XON/XOFF flow control. Our PSN's thusly configured are referred to as
"File Transfer" ports. Corrupting uucico to conform to your transport's
current configuration strikes me as bass-ackwards.

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

splee@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) (04/06/91)

In article <288@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>	Many PSN's and muxes allow for permanent or on-the-fly disabling
>of XON/XOFF flow control. Our PSN's thusly configured are referred to as
>"File Transfer" ports. Corrupting uucico to conform to your transport's
>current configuration strikes me as bass-ackwards.

Being a stat mux with limited bandwidth, disabling xon/xoff still won't
solve the problem of uucico getting too far ahead of the buffers. Yes, I
can disable the flow control, but I still want to configure uucico to send
one packet at a time. I feel this will result in the best throughput, instead
of overflowing the buffer and resulting in constant retransmission. I know
uucico can be configured to do this. I'd just like to know how.

--
Seng-Poh Lee
splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu

In article <14720@life.ai.mit.edu> splee@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) writes:

>Being a stat mux with limited bandwidth, disabling xon/xoff still won't
>solve the problem of uucico getting too far ahead of the buffers. Yes, I
>can disable the flow control, but I still want to configure uucico to send
>one packet at a time. I feel this will result in the best throughput, instead
>of overflowing the buffer and resulting in constant retransmission. I know
>uucico can be configured to do this. I'd just like to know how.

You have to disable the mux flow control anyway, since the xon/xoff
characters will appear in the uucico data stream and must be passed
through transparently.  If you have source (I don't...) you should
be able to find a value for the default packet window somewhere and
change it to anything from 1 to seven (it's stored in a 3-bit field
so 7 is the maximum allowed).  If you don't have source, the only way
to change it is to patch your binary.  I've seen postings showing how
to change to 7 packets that indicated that the number is stored in
a single place.  Happy hunting.  Maybe if you say what version you
are running some kind soul with source will compile both ways and
tell you what byte to zap.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us