[comp.mail.uucp] Who may register in the .org domain?

ostroff@penelope.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (04/12/91)

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this question, but I'm
a little confused as to just what constitutes a .org.  In looking through
the UUCP maps, I find a variety of things.  Some of them appear to be
"real" organizations, like osf.org, decus.org, ieee.org, uniforum.org, etc.
Then there are catch-alls like fidonet.org and mi.org.  There are also
some that appear to be companies.  Then there are lots of public-access
machines and other personal systems.

Here's where I get confused, since the "domain request" info from UUNET
seems to imply that public-access systems should not be .org's:

   This domain application is for organizations which wish to have UUNET
   provide name service.  Individuals, public access systems, and others
   not represented by an organization may wish to register in the US
   domain (contact westine@isi.edu).

Can anybody send UUNET their $35 (or whatever) and register their site
as my.own.org?  It appears that's what has happened.

asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr12.151815.12030@oswego.oswego.edu>, ostroff@penelope.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
> Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this question, but I'm
> a little confused as to just what constitutes a .org.
>
> Can anybody send UUNET their $35 (or whatever) and register their site
> as my.own.org?  It appears that's what has happened.

The ORG domain is for non-profit, (IRS) 501-C3 organizations.  The
501-C3 is some IRS rule & regulation.  You actually have to register
with the IRS to be a 501-C3 organization.

We are running a service that will register domains for UUCP sites (and
provide a nameserver for that domain).  We basically check the form
over, set up the nameservers, and forward the domain registration form
to the NIC to be processed & registered.

So, if you are a non-profit, 501-C3 uucp site, then you can register
with uunet for my.OWN.ORG.

	--asp@uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (04/18/91)

In article <129382@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:

   The ORG domain is for non-profit, (IRS) 501-C3 organizations.  The
   501-C3 is some IRS rule & regulation.  You actually have to register
   with the IRS to be a 501-C3 organization.

Interesting.  Do you have the appropriate chapter and verse of the NIC
guidelines that recommends this treatment?  (I presume all existing
.org's will be grandfathered in.)  Existing practice has allowed
unincorporated entities like the "Michigan Unix Users Group" to set up
mail park domains and share service costs among the membership; I
would hope that NIC rules would not outlaw these "mail parks" or force
all such organizations to register each of their individual members in
the .US domain.

   We are running a service that will register domains for UUCP sites (and
   provide a nameserver for that domain).  We basically check the form
   over, set up the nameservers, and forward the domain registration form
   to the NIC to be processed & registered.

   So, if you are a non-profit, 501-C3 uucp site, then you can register
   with uunet for my.OWN.ORG.

Let's make this clear; these non-profit sites are registering with the
NIC, and that process is free (modulo the trauma of figuring out the
paperwork).  They are also paying uunet some small, reasonable fee (is
it still $35?) for running the .OWN.ORG name server.  UUNET does not
have an exclusive on this service -- some internet sites if you ask
them kindly will run your name server for you, and no doubt in the
fullness of time other internet service providers will offer similar
registration setups.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

"With all of the attention and publicity focused on gigabit networks,
not much notice has been given to small and largely unfunded research
efforts which are studying innovative approaches for dealing with
technical issues within the constraints of economic science."
							RFC 1216

asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) (04/18/91)

In article <129382@uunet.UU.NET>, asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:
> The ORG domain is for non-profit, (IRS) 501-C3 organizations.  The
> 501-C3 is some IRS rule & regulation.  You actually have to register
> with the IRS to be a 501-C3 organization.

I have been getting a number of questions about this.

This was based on some conversations that I had over a year ago with the
NIC about who was able to register as what.

A 501-C3 organization is a non-profit that has registered under the
501-C3 reg with the IRS.

Now even though a .ORG is supposed to be one of these things, not all
existing .ORGs are, and the NIC may not have checked this out when they
registered a group under the .ORG domain, or the NIC may have changed
their minds about who can be a .ORG.

This is just my understanding of the way that it was, *which may be
wrong*.
	--asp@uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (04/19/91)

To re-inforce Andrew's posting this what the NIC has been saying to
us for years, about ORG.

Philosophically I believe the NIC has a long tradition of grandfathering
all old decisions, so I couldn't imagine there being any real problems.

Marty