[comp.mail.uucp] 1/2-speed receiving!

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (04/19/91)

I have a very strange (seems strange to me :-) problem ..

Last week, my ESIX (sysvr3) partition table/boot sector got trashed
when I booted from a dos floppy.  As a result, I re-formatted the disk
(a Maxtor 8760S), installed the base system from floppies, and restored
everything else from cpio 1/4" backup tapes.  The boot disk used to be
a Toshiba MK156FB if that matters.

Anyway, my OUTbound UUCP transactions are still fine.  On INBOUND
transactions, though, the speed averages almost exactly 1/2 of what
it was before!  This seems very strange!  If something were wrong
causing slow speeds, that would be one things ... but like I said, the
speed is almost exactly 1/2 of what it was!  I deal with several
different sites, so I know it isn't just a problem with one site.

I may do a re-install this weekend anyway (I had some strange problems
BEFORE the restore) that can only reasonably be dealt with by a re-
install) -- but that's a different story.

I'm really interested in any ideas you people mgiht have as to why
my uucp INBOUND speeds would have halved after a file restore (and
addition of a third scsi disk - but probably not significant, because
I removed a disk and still saw the same transfer rates).  STRANGE or what?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

In article <1991Apr18.221805.13439@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>Last week, my ESIX (sysvr3) partition table/boot sector got trashed
>when I booted from a dos floppy.  As a result, I re-formatted the disk
>(a Maxtor 8760S), installed the base system from floppies, and restored
>everything else from cpio 1/4" backup tapes.

>Anyway, my OUTbound UUCP transactions are still fine.  On INBOUND
>transactions, though, the speed averages almost exactly 1/2 of what
>it was before!

If you have a uucp-spoofing modem, you probably restored a different
dialer script than what you were using last.  Or maybe even a different
uucico.  Somewhere between SysVr3.0 and 3.2 the g protocol window
was changed to default to 7 instead of 3, at least in AT&T releases.
The .xferstats file only show the time it took to send the last packet
not the time till the last packet is acked (either that or they are
totally off).  So, if you are transferring small files through a
spoofing modem, you might really be sending at half speed also, but
the xferstats only show the time it takes to get the data to your
own modem's buffer.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us