[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP on a Sparc SLC, SunOS 4.1

ericf@zurich.ai.mit.edu (Eric Feigenson) (04/20/91)

This is deja vu... I've had a similar problem before, and it went away.
It's back.

My first UUCP connection using this new setup (Sun Sparc SLC, SunOS
4.1) went smooth as silk.  Lots of files were transferred.  All was
well in the land.  The *next* time, and all subsequent times, I get
connected, the log shows that it's starting a transfer (from the
remote to my site), and I immediately get "alarm n" messages until the
converstaion fails.  I can send more detailed log info for anyone who
thinks they can help.  The modem (if it matters) is a Telebit T1000.
Everything worked fine (as far as UUCP went) on a '386 box running
various flavors or Unix.  I anyone has *any* insight into this
problem, or think they would if I gave them more info, please E-mail a
response.

While I'm at it... does anyone know why the serial port (/dev/ttya) on
the Sparc should want to hang (*completely*) so that I have to reboot
to get it back?  When it gets in this state UUCP and tip can't touch
it ("all devices busy") and stty < or > to/from it hang and I have to
kill it with a QUIT signal.  Any info on this, too, would be
appreciated.

Thanks much!

-EricF
ericf@zurich.ai.mit.edu

devil@TECHUNIX.TECHNION.AC.IL (Gil Tene) (04/24/91)

In article <ERICF.91Apr19222734@montreux.ai.mit.edu> ericf@zurich.ai.mit.edu writes:
>This is deja vu... I've had a similar problem before, and it went away.
>It's back.
>
>My first UUCP connection using this new setup (Sun Sparc SLC, SunOS
>4.1) went smooth as silk.  Lots of files were transferred.  All was
> .
> .
>While I'm at it... does anyone know why the serial port (/dev/ttya) on
>the Sparc should want to hang (*completely*) so that I have to reboot
>to get it back?  When it gets in this state UUCP and tip can't touch
>it ("all devices busy") and stty < or > to/from it hang and I have to
>kill it with a QUIT signal.  Any info on this, too, would be appreciated.

Don't know about the first problem, but as I was reading your message
I thought: "hmm... ttysoftcar", and then when I read the second part
(about ttya hanging) I knew you have at LEAST that.

SunOS 4.1 added a feature called ttysoftcar (for soft carrier). What
is NOT well documented is the fact that ttysoftcar -a (as run in the
default rc files) decides whether or not to use softcar according to
the local/remote setting in /etc/ttytab (which is usually just good
for comments). When you have ttya defined as local there (instead
of remote), which is also default, ttya is set for soft carrier.
Then hang ups don't really work, and tip/uucp/etc get hung.
The solution is simple, change local to remote...

This MAY help the first problem you mentioned too, but time tells.
In any case, look up ttysoftcar(8)...

-- Gil.
-- Gil Tene			"Some days it just doesn't pay    --
-- devil@techunix.technion.ac.il  to go to sleep in the morning." --