[comp.mail.uucp] Multiple L.sys lines in UUCP

ee@lever.com (Edward Elhauge) (04/20/91)

Several of the sites we contact have several phone numbers, some of which are
busy or go down from time to time.

The obvious solution is to put multiple lines for that site L.sys, one for
each phone number. The problem I have is that after uucp tries the first
number (first L.sys entry) and fails to log in, it doesn't go on to try the
subsequent lines for that system.

What I have noticed when running uucico iteractively with -x7 is that
subsequent lines are only tried when the exit code is non-zero for a line.
This will happen if my modem is turned off for instance. If the failure is in
the chat script, which is often for the Telebit entries, the exit code is
still zero even though the chat script failed.

What to do? FYI I am runnig Sun OS 4.0.3 on a 3/60.

      Edward Elhauge      |    {hoptoad,uunet}!\    | "Pollution is a symptom
     Lever Industries     |        lever!ee         |  of man's inability to
       San Francisco      |                         |    transform waste"

ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) (04/25/91)

In article <528@lever.com>, ee@lever.com (Edward Elhauge) writes:
> What I have noticed when running uucico iteractively with -x7 is that
> subsequent lines are only tried when the exit code is non-zero for a line.
> This will happen if my modem is turned off for instance. If the failure is in
> the chat script, which is often for the Telebit entries, the exit code is
> still zero even though the chat script failed.
>
> What to do? FYI I am runnig Sun OS 4.0.3 on a 3/60.

I'm not privy to the internals of uucico, but when you use a Telebit with
SunOS pre 4.1 (pre-HDB), you have to work around the brain-dead dialer by
pretending that you're directly connected and put the dialer conversation
in the login chat script.  Since uucico thinks that you already connected,
but failed the login, it obviously does not see any point in trying again.
It only uses multiple L.sys entries to try to connect.  Once connected, it
will not try another line if the login fails.

As I said, I am not privy to the internals of Sun's uucico, but it makes sense
that this is the way that it works (which is not the same as saying that it
makes sense that this is the way that it _should_ work).

--

Ken Hardy                         uunet!racerx!ken
Bridge Information Systems        ken@racerx.com

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (04/27/91)

In article <576@racerx.UUCP> ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) writes:
>I'm not privy to the internals of uucico, but when you use a Telebit with
>SunOS pre 4.1 (pre-HDB), you have to work around the brain-dead dialer by
>pretending that you're directly connected and put the dialer conversation
>in the login chat script.

There's a better way, which is undocumented and which I learned from
reading the source.

In the hayes dialer, if the phone number field of an L.sys entry begins
with the two characters "-S", the '-' is dropped and the command is
prefixed with "AT" rather than "ATDT".  You supply the "DT" in the string.

So, for example, you might have the following in L.sys:

site Any ACU 19200 -S50=255S111=30X0DT5551212 ogin:--ogin: name sword: xxx

which would set the two S-registers to their proper values for UUCP
transfers, and disable the advanced result codes which would otherwise
confuse the hayes dialer.  (Note that I am not suggesting that this
exact entry is what you should use, just an example -- you get the idea.)

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@omni.com