[comp.mail.uucp] PC-NFS & UUCP

pritchet@susie.cs.scarolina.edu (Ronald W. Pritchett) (05/05/91)

I'm looking for a PC based package that will use the UUCP protocol over the
ethernet connect we have. I know there are many that do dial-ups, but this
seems like a waste considering we run PC-NFS & have direct ethernet connections
to the machine already. Any ideas?

Ron

=       'They say I'm lazy, but                                              =
=        it takes all my time...                                             =
=        Life's been good to me so far!'           -Joe Walsh                =
=----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=    Ron Pritchett   -   pritchet@calvin.cs.scarolina.edu                    =
=                    or  pritchet@hobbes.cs.scarolina.edu                    =

stenson@skyler.mavd.honeywell.com (Wayne M. Stenson) (05/08/91)

In article <pritchet.673395947@susie>, pritchet@susie.cs.scarolina.edu (Ronald W. Pritchett) writes:

> I'm looking for a PC based package that will use the UUCP protocol over the
> ethernet connect we have. I know there are many that do dial-ups, but this
> seems like a waste considering we run PC-NFS & have direct ethernet connections
> to the machine already. Any ideas?
>

> Ron

> =       'They say I'm lazy, but                                              =
> =        it takes all my time...                                             =
> =        Life's been good to me so far!'           -Joe Walsh                =
> =----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> =    Ron Pritchett   -   pritchet@calvin.cs.scarolina.edu                    =
> =                    or  pritchet@hobbes.cs.scarolina.edu                    =

I once did a NetBIOS implementation for use over our StarLAN 10BASET. Of
course, it only did the "g" protocol. It was basically an extension of one of
the earlier versions of UUPC. If anyone's interested, I could make it
available; just send me a note via mail.

Wayne Stenson
stenson@skyler.mavd.honeywell.com
wstenson@honmavd.mavd.honeywell.com
...attmail!honcim1!honmavd!wstenson

>I once did a NetBIOS implementation for use over our StarLAN 10BASET. Of
>course, it only did the "g" protocol.

Somebody might want to think about extending it to also support the "t"
protocol, if the protocol atop which the "g" protocol was running
provides flow control and error correction; the "t" protocol was
originally invented by Rick Adams because running the "g" protocol over
a TCP connection (which we were starting to do at CCI) was quite
inefficient, given that the flow control and error correction it
provided was already being done by TCP....