[comp.mail.uucp] g protocol

chris@fubarsys.slo.ca.us (Fubar Guru) (06/15/89)

I am having problems with my g protocol driver. I'm wondering if anyone
has or can point me to the canonical g protocol document. Also, what other
protocols are usable over a standard 2400 baud maximum modem/phone
connection with no error correction?

Thanks in advance and all the jazz.
---
      Me: Christopher J. Ambler           Fubar Systems BBS  1525 Mill #6
    UUCP: pyramid!polyslo!fubarsys!chris  San Luis Obispo, Ca 93401-2543 USA
Internet: chris@fubarsys.slo.ca.us        (805) 546-0820 (Voice)
     BIX: cambler                         (805) 544-9234 (Data/BBS)

henderson@hamavnet.com (07/26/90)

Hello there,

Could someone please tell me where I could read about the G protocol? I am
writing a UUCP mail program for MSDOS, and I haven't been able to find a spec
for the G protocol at all.

Thanks,

Javier Henderson     | henderson@hamavnet.com           | These opinions
Engineering Services | Ham Packet: N6VBG @ KD7XG-1      | are all mine.
Hamilton Avnet       | WWIVNet: 1@2397                  |

dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis Glatting) (05/25/91)

can someone direct me to the g protocol spec?  it would be nice
to get the source for a uucico too.

--
 ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg  | Dennis P. Glatting
 dennisg@Xetron.COM     | so?

scott@skypod.guild.org (Scott Campbell) (05/25/91)

In article <2174@kgw2.XETRON.COM> dennisg@Xetron.COM writes:
>can someone direct me to the g protocol spec?

How many protocols are there?  I normally use g, but I notice that I also
have an "e" protocol for error-free lines.  Would you use that if you
are using error-correcting modems (like V.42 or MNP 4)?

What other protocols could I use and would I have to replace my uucico to
get them? (I am running System V R3.2).

>             .....it would be nice
>to get the source for a uucico too.

It would, wouldn't it? :-)

--
Scott J.M. Campbell                                   scott@skypod.guild.org
Skypod Communications Inc.            ..!gatech!dscatl!daysinns!skypod!scott

tau-ceti (05/27/91)

dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis Glatting) writes:

> can someone direct me to the g protocol spec?  it would be nice
> to get the source for a uucico too.
>
> --
>  ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg  | Dennis P. Glatting
>  dennisg@Xetron.COM     | so?

Me too, is there a group, maybe alt.sources or something where this could end
up for us? e-mail me 'cause I'm quite new at this and still a little shaky (but
I do know what uucico and the g protocol are).

--
..!dogear!kharma!cjbrown  | Christopher J. Brown

>How many protocols are there?  I normally use g, but I notice that I also
>have an "e" protocol for error-free lines.  Would you use that if you
>are using error-correcting modems (like V.42 or MNP 4)?

I probably wouldn't.  The "e" protocol assumes not only that the *line*
is error-free, but that the path from the line to "uucico" is error-free
*and* that the entire path is flow-controlled.

This means that the path from the line to "uucico" mustn't drop
characters, and must use some kind of flow control to the other system
to make sure that doesn't happen; this means that it shouldn't pass
through a typical UNIX serial port driver, because those drivers drop
characters if they get too many characters (more than then can buffer),
and the only form of flow control that they'll do is to send a ^S or
maybe fiddle with some modem-control lines, and unless you can trust
that same form of flow control to the same extent that you can trust
TCP's flow control, it's not good enough for "e".  (The "e" and "t"
protocols are intended to run atop protocols as reliable as TCP.)

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (05/29/91)

guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>>How many protocols are there?  I normally use g, but I notice that I also
>>have an "e" protocol for error-free lines.  Would you use that if you
>>are using error-correcting modems (like V.42 or MNP 4)?

>I probably wouldn't.  The "e" protocol assumes not only that the *line*
>is error-free, but that the path from the line to "uucico" is error-free
>*and* that the entire path is flow-controlled.

if the serial drivers (FAS!) and modems are 'perfect' f-proto works nice
as long as you c7encode the news batches. throughput is very close
to e-proto then.
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (05/29/91)

dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis Glatting) writes:
>can someone direct me to the g protocol spec?  it would be nice
>to get the source for a uucico too.

They're available for anonymous ftp in the src/netimpl/UUCP directory
on bu.edu -- uucp-proto* document the g protocol (also available from
ftp.cs.toronto.edu as doc/uucp-proto*)

Another good document on the g protocol is "UUCP G protocol" by Jamie
E. Hanrahan, Session UNO47, Fall 1990 DECUS Symposium, Las Vegas,
Nevada.  An electronic copy *may* be somewhere in the
src/netimpl/UUCP/DECUS tree on bu.edu -- I haven't checked.

dcp.tar.Z is the oldest uucico clone there, I think uupc is derived
from it.  uuslave-hoptoad is John Gilmore's uucico clone, gnuuucp is a
more recent/complete version. (it hasn't changed since Apr 1989 and
isn't the latest version.  John Gilmore says it isn't in a released
state, just a snapshot of his working src).  DECUS/ contains the DECUS
(VMS) UUCP (VMSNET).  A more recent uupc is on sun.soe.clarkson.edu in
pub/uupc.  fsuucp is MSDOS shareware.  A more recent fsuucp can be
found on polyslo.calpoly.edu:/pub/fsuu*.zip.

	Mark.

cwm@sooner.palo-alto.ca.us (Chris Moore) (05/30/91)

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>if the serial drivers (FAS!) and modems are 'perfect' f-proto works nice
>as long as you c7encode the news batches. throughput is very close
>to e-proto then.

Maybe there is an obvious answer to this that I've been overlooking but
how do you indicate which protocol should be used on a connection?  I'm
using error correcting modems, etc, and would like to use e or f but
can't figure out how to tell the software to use other than g which
it defaults to.  I'm using HDB on SunOS 4.1.1

  - Chris