[comp.mail.uucp] Smail 3.1 config question

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (06/02/91)

I just set up smail 3.1.19 for a department here at the university, and
have a question about a sticky configuration problem.

Both math sciences and Computer sciences maintain "large" well-connected
systems, so both could serve as a smart host.  One is better connected to
bitnet; the other is better connected to the internet.  So how can
I tell smail that unrecognized addresses ending in .bitnet go to one host,
while the rest go to the other?

The site in question has bsd style networking (it's a Sysv/386 machine
with an add-on package) but no name service besides what's in /etc/hosts.
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                       +1 606 257 2975

kdenning@genesis.Naitc.Com (Karl Denninger) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun2.135507.5532@ms.uky.edu> kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>I just set up smail 3.1.19 for a department here at the university, and
>have a question about a sticky configuration problem.
>
>Both math sciences and Computer sciences maintain "large" well-connected
>systems, so both could serve as a smart host.  One is better connected to
>bitnet; the other is better connected to the internet.  So how can
>I tell smail that unrecognized addresses ending in .bitnet go to one host,
>while the rest go to the other?
>
>The site in question has bsd style networking (it's a Sysv/386 machine
>with an add-on package) but no name service besides what's in /etc/hosts.

First, think about going to smail3.21.

To solve this problem, add a router entry to /usr/lib/smail/routers
that is a pathalias type of entry that matches only ".bitnet", sending those
address where you want it to go.  Put it in the appropriate place, and set
the "always" flag so anything that matches isn't considered by later router
entries.

This kind of "address/policy" based routing is one reason I love smail3 --
it is very easy to adapt to this kind of situation.

On other smail3 notes....

I've taken Syd's patches to enable multiple MX/A record support, and hacked
in my own transport (another smart router with some brains this time) so as
to permit the easy use of smail3 as a gateway between UUCP and Internet
sites without fear of mail loops.  When I get done testing it, it'll be
available for all who want it.  Looks REAL nice at this point; it doesn't
appear that I've broken anything in the process of hacking this stuff in..

There is one more change I want to make -- it is common to NFS mount a mail
spool for a subdomain off one machine.  I am working on getting support
figured out for having all machines in a subdomain considered "local"; that
is, "test1.naitc.com" and "test2.naitc.com" are both local to the subdomain
gateway "nis.naitc.com".  I haven't got this one figured out yet for the
general case ("hostnames" doesn't do it when you have a half-hundred
machines involved!)

This last change, of course, has to be a config option.

--
Karl Denninger - AC Nielsen, Bannockburn IL (708) 317-3285
kdenning@nis.naitc.com

"The most dangerous command on any computer is the carriage return."
Disclaimer:  The opinions here are solely mine and may or may not reflect
  	     those of the company.

wisner@ims.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (06/03/91)

Karl Denninger:
>This kind of "address/policy" based routing is one reason I love smail3 --
>it is very easy to adapt to this kind of situation.

You plug your pet mailer; I'll plug mine.  Zmailer does this too.

Bill Wisner <wisner@ims.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
"One should try everything once, except incest and folk dancing." -- Arnold Bax