[comp.mail.uucp] uumail & smail

wrl@wdl51.wdl.loral.com (Bill Lewandowski) (05/31/91)

Hi,

I have been having trouble with "uumail" to resolve
paths like "mips!ames!user". uumail looks up the
complete path in the "pathalias" database instead
of just looking up "mips" (uucp neighbor).

This happens on all mail going out that specifies a
whole path instead of "ames!user".

Can anyone help me out ???? uumail works great except
for this error. I'm using uumail 4.2, Patchlevel 1
at this time.

Also, I have been looking at using "smail" instead
oof "uumail" for my uucp mail. I want to still use
sendmail as the smtp agent but I have not been able
to figure out how to configure smail to act as the
uucp agent. If would handle the complete uucp-path
problems I'm having, that would be great.

Thanks,

Bill Lewandowski
Bill Lewandowski		LORAL Western Development Labs
(408) 473-4362			Internet: wrl@wdl1.wdl.loral.com
FAX: (408) 473-4093		UUCP: wdl1!wrl

ken@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Sallenger) (06/04/91)

In <1991May31.151208.29782@wdl1.wdl.loral.com>
wrl@wdl51.wdl.loral.com (Bill Lewandowski) writes:

>I have been having trouble with "uumail" to resolve
>paths like "mips!ames!user". uumail looks up the
>complete path in the "pathalias" database instead
>of just looking up "mips" (uucp neighbor).

>This happens on all mail going out that specifies a
>whole path instead of "ames!user".

Right.  Of course, the whole point of uumail is to avoid _having_ to use
the whole path.  However, users will inevitably have mail aliases
already set up, etc...  But when they find out about UUMAIL, they are
only too happy to revert to the simpler method.  You can also teach
them about UUPATH, so that they can sanity-check the results.

We're using the Colorado sendmail config files, which have one
mailer specified for UUCP to known neighbors, and another
which calls UUMAIL.

A "system!user" path is handled by:

    Canonicalize (in ruleset 3) to user<@system.UUCP>

    Check (in ruleset 0) whether "system" is a UUCP neighbor.
    If so, pass to the "uucp" mailer (calls UUX, old-style).
    If not, pass to the "palias" mailer, which calls UUMAIL.

In the case of "system-A!system-B!user" (presumably the complete
path) or any longer path it's:

    Canonicalize to system-B!user<@system-A.UUCP>.

    Perform the same check on system-A, presumably
    a UUCP neighbor.  It then resolves to the "uucp" mailer
    with "system-B!user" as the user (for the RMAIL command
    on the other end).

so UUMAIL never gets it.

I've done some local hacking to allow our UUCP system to gateway to
domain-based mail for our UUCP neighbors.  Original and hacked versions
can be made available for FTP
	[the compressed tar file is 112355 bytes],
_but_ there's probably a newer and better version out there somewhere.

Does anyone know where it may be?  I hope to know more after
Summer Usenix.  ;-)
--
     Ken Sallenger / ken@bigbird.csd.scarolina.edu / +1 803 777-6551
     Computer Services Division / 1244 Blossom ST / Columbia, SC 29208