[comp.mail.uucp] restricting uucico to a specified grade

chap@art-sy.detroit.mi.us (j chapman flack) (06/04/91)

I'm running the uucp that comes with SCO OpenDesktop, which, from what I've
heard, is a QuasiHoneyDanBer of questionable parentage.

The challenge: art-sy's mail feed and news feed are the same.  art-sy always
initiates the call.  Right now, art-sy polls during the wee smalls, because
there's usually a couple of hours of news to get.

I'd like to be able to poll during the day to get mail in and out, but I
don't want to waste day connect time on news.  What would be really nice
would be a way to invoke uucico that said "transfer only jobs of grade N or
higher" during the day, and leave other grades, like news, for later.

Anybody know of such a trick?
--
Chap Flack                         Their tanks will rust.  Our songs will last.
chap@art-sy.detroit.mi.us                                    -MIKHS 0EODWPAKHS

Nothing I say represents Appropriate Roles for Technology unless I say it does.

bill@astph.UUCP (Bill Dripps) (06/06/91)

In article <9106041029.aa15659@art-sy.detroit.mi.us> chap@art-sy.detroit.mi.us (j chapman flack) writes:
>I'd like to be able to poll during the day to get mail in and out, but I
>don't want to waste day connect time on news.  What would be really nice
>would be a way to invoke uucico that said "transfer only jobs of grade N or
>higher" during the day, and leave other grades, like news, for later.
>
>Anybody know of such a trick?

Would it work to change your your machine name for news? Could your mail
be addressed to ast-sy and your mail to art-sy.news?

If you had two Systems lines - mailfeed & newsfeed - that were the
same except for system name and calling times, and if you had seperate
Permissions file entries which used different MYNAME's - art-sy &
art-sy.news, would you be able to split your news feed from your mail?

I have not tried this, but I wonder if it might work.
Are there any uucp experts that might know?

--
Bill Dripps         | attmail!astph!bill | astph!bill@attmail.com |
814-234-8592 ext.31 | psuvax1!astph!bill | astph!bill@psu.cs.edu  |