[comp.mail.uucp] uucp problems

frr@altger.UUCP (Francesco Rossi) (03/11/88)

Hiya world
I ve got problems with the Unix to Unix Copy In Copy Out program
I am running with SCO Xenix 2.1.0 under an XT machine using a NEC V20
My problem is that I can't call out with uucico
when I call it doesn't accept any connection, it runs only with a
Xenix 2.3.0 running on a 286 10Mhz system.
the error messages follows:

bad header 177655,h->ccntl 177611
rec h->cntl 45

this error for 10 times
after this, the timeout and it drops the carrier..
have you any suggestion ?
Thanks
				  Francesco
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unix,comp.unix.xenix,comp.mail.uucp,muc.xenix
Subject: UUCP problems
Expires:

Hiya world
I ve got problems with the Unix to Unix Copy In Copy Out program
I am running with SCO Xenix 2.1.0 under an XT machine using a NEC V20
My problem is that I can't call out with uucico
when I call it doesn't accept any connection, it runs only with a
Xenix 2.3.0 running on a 286 10Mhz system.
the error messages follows:

bad header 177655,h->ccntl 177611
rec h->cntl 45

this error for 10 times
after this, the timeout and it drops the carrier..
have you any suggestion ?
Thanks
				  Francesco

hjg@amms2.UUCP (Harry Gross) (06/24/89)

HELP!!
	I have a small network of 4 Unix boxes, each running S5R2 vanilla Unix.
They are interconnected in a complete four node star, minus one two-way link
between machine 1 and machine 3.  We have several software systems running on
them which share data back and forth.  Information is transmitted via regularly
scheduled invocations of uucp.  (No, an ethernet is not the answer, as the
hardware is not available - these are Plexus machines, and Plexus went belly
up - sigh :-)

	Now for the problems.  Most of the time, everything works just fine.
However, on occasion (and it is too frequent to ignore), a uucico will get
started, a file transmission will begin, and all of the sudden, from out of
nowhere, a second uucico will start up, clobbering the first one.  The second
one fails to log in, and the connection drops.  Examination of the LOGFILE
shows that the second uucico was started by the same process as the first one.

	I have no ideas as to what is going on here.  All the proper lock files
seem to be in place when this happens.  Any and all help would be appreciated.
I MUST get this problem solved.

	Problem number 2: (again, occuring too frequently to ignore)  Sometimes,
a copy of uucico will be started from a cron entry, it will make contact with
the target machine (not one of mine for this problem, one of the other machines
out there in UUCPnet land), the contact will complete, and the uucico will NOT
terminate.  On one occasion, I found a copy of uucico that had been hanging
around for over 300 minutes (as revealed by the ps listing).  This, of course,
hangs up the dialout port, preventing anything else from getting out of the
machine.  Once again, I am unable to locate any clues as to the cause of the
problem.

	Please note that patching the source is not available to me as a
corrective action, as we do not have a source license.  If uucp (uucico) is
buggy in this version, I will need workarounds, not fixes, as I am unaware of
any way to obtain updates to the code, now that Plexus is no longer with us.

	Any and all help will be appreciated.  I would be happy to e-mail
further details (LOGFILES, etc.) to anyone who deems it necessary.  Just drop me
a note spelling out what you need.

			Thanks
--
		Harry					 |  reserved for
							 |  something really
Internet: hjg@amms2.UUCP   (we're working on registering)|  clever - any
UUCP: {jyacc, qtny, rna, bklyncis}!amms2!hjg		 |  suggestions?

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (06/29/89)

As quoted from <375@amms4.UUCP> by hjg@amms2.UUCP (Harry Gross):
+---------------
| nowhere, a second uucico will start up, clobbering the first one.  The second
| one fails to log in, and the connection drops.  Examination of the LOGFILE
| shows that the second uucico was started by the same process as the first one.
+---------------

I assume you're running Sys5.2 1.5.  Try to get the 1.7 release; it is fixed
there.

+---------------
| 	Problem number 2: (again, occuring too frequently to ignore)  Sometimes,
| a copy of uucico will be started from a cron entry, it will make contact with
| the target machine (not one of mine for this problem, one of the other machines
| out there in UUCPnet land), the contact will complete, and the uucico will NOT
| terminate.  On one occasion, I found a copy of uucico that had been hanging
| around for over 300 minutes (as revealed by the ps listing).  This, of course,
| hangs up the dialout port, preventing anything else from getting out of the
| machine.  Once again, I am unable to locate any clues as to the cause of the
| problem.
+---------------

I think this was also fixed in 1.7; there was a special patch (I forget
which, but I can try to find out) to 1.5 to fix this as well.  (In fact,
there were two patches to 1.5 for two separate UUCP problems; both of these
that you mention, if I recall.  --The hanging uucico is fixed with a *kernel*
patch.-- Plexus does still seem to be around after a fashion, by the way (at
least, they seem to be on the Usenet still); you can try to contact them and
see if they still have the latest O/S or perhaps the UUCP and kernel
patches.)

I suggest you try to find someone with Sys5.2 1.7; if Motorola has taken
over the software support the same way they did the hardware support, they
may have a copy still.  Or possibly even Plexus, as mentioned above.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

ksr@ipsa.reuter.com (Ken Rother) (02/07/91)

Hi, can anybody tell me what causes the following messages to be mailed
to the UUCP admin account.