[comp.mail.uucp] FTPmail: silent, very silent ...

a3@rivm39.rivm.nl (Adri Verhoef) (06/25/91)

Before Paul Vixie announced ftpmail on USENET several weeks ago,
we were here already making use of it on a small base.

During the last few weeks I have sent some five requests to ftpmail,
among which some 'help' messages, but I have had no response
whatsoever.  I'm not the only one at my site who has experienced
null response from ftpmail.
  Do other people in European maildomains have had any luck?

I even sent mail to Paul Vixie two weeks ago, but got no response
so far.
  What's the story?

merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.140135.22715@rivm.nl> a3@rivm39.rivm.nl (Adri Verhoef) writes:
>Before Paul Vixie announced ftpmail on USENET several weeks ago,
>we were here already making use of it on a small base.
>
>During the last few weeks I have sent some five requests to ftpmail,
>among which some 'help' messages, but I have had no response
>whatsoever.  I'm not the only one at my site who has experienced
>null response from ftpmail.
>  Do other people in European maildomains have had any luck?
>
>I even sent mail to Paul Vixie two weeks ago, but got no response
>so far.
>  What's the story?

i think that ftpmail has picked up the slack from the BITNET clamp down.

Paul posted some stats showing a marked (severe) increase from the date that
the BITFTP server restricted access to only BITNET sites.

the delays/lost mail(?) may be related to overload on their system.

[ just speculating ]

also, i believe that the ftpmail server restricts flow to X meg a day or
by some similar criteria.

--
[ Jim Mercer   work: jim@lsuc.on.ca  home: merce@iguana.uucp  +1 519 570-3467 ]
[   "If you've got the technology, you can party."  Labatt's beer commercial  ]