[comp.mail.headers] help

orsay@mtunf.UUCP (Joel Ratsaby) (11/13/86)

I'm looking for machine addresses that can act as gateways from USENET to
 BITNET.specifically I'm on the machine: mtunf which is on USENET ,and I
want to reach a machine on BITNET : CUNY VM  ,and  BROWN.COG .
appreciate your help.

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) (11/20/86)

The machine psuvax1 is on both USENET and BITNET.  It can be used as a gateway
as follows:

To send from USENET to BITNET use an address like:

		...!psuvax1!host.BITNET!usename

To send from BITNET to USENET something like the following might work:

		NOTE username%host.uucp at psuvax1

There is no warranty expressed or implied for the BITNET to USENET address.
It would appear that some BITNET mailers have a warped sense of what a valid
address is and what is allowed to appear in a mail header.

--Daniel Ehrlich
CSNET:	  ehrlich@penn-state.csnet	USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu	      Department of Computer Science
UUCP: 	  ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!ehrlich	      333 Whitmore Laboratory
BITNET:	  ehrlich@psuvax1.bitnet	      University Park, PA   16802
					BELL: (814) 863-1142

"The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone

Disclaimer:	The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect the
opinions or policies of The Pennsylvania State University or the Department of
Computer Science.

scott@utcs.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <2338@psuvax1.UUCP> ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:

>The machine psuvax1 is on both USENET and BITNET.  It can be used as a gateway
>as follows:
>
>To send from USENET to BITNET use an address like:
>
>		...!psuvax1!host.BITNET!usename
>
>To send from BITNET to USENET something like the following might work:
>
>		NOTE username%host.uucp at psuvax1
>
>There is no warranty expressed or implied for the BITNET to USENET address.
>It would appear that some BITNET mailers have a warped sense of what a valid
>address is and what is allowed to appear in a mail header.

You are quite right there. NOTE is an ibm command and will not accept
username%host.uucp at psuvax1 because username%host.uucp will almost for
sure be greater than 8 characters which is the longest userid that exists
on any machine (at least to the thinking of ibm who think they ARE everybody)

If you don't have a mailer on your bitnet site you have to manually put
BSMTP headers (I think that stands for Batch Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
on your mail and PUNCH it to MAILER at PSUVAX1. There are also execs to do
this for you (at least on IBM machines). I have one called CROSSNET EXEC
that I got from somewhere or other but I think it is only good for ARPA
CSNET MAILNET CCNET and MFENET addresses (ie it will send to the gateways
for those - not psuvax1) however it can probably be converted to uucp
addresses easily... (I havent bothered since we have a mailer) If anyone
wants this I can send it to them or they can get it off of one of the
servers on bitnet (NETSERV?)... maybe the latest version of crossnetexec
handles uucp - i dont know...

At least PSUVAX1 isn't as picky about the headers as WISCVM.... :-)
			scott
--
...{utzoo, decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd, utcsri, mnetor}!utcs!scott
scott%utcs.toronto.edu@csnet-relay.arpa

Disclaimer: The above is not actually the opinion of anyone at all but
	especially not the administration or staff of this institution.

perry@vu-vlsi.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <2338@psuvax1.UUCP>, ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> ..
> To send from USENET to BITNET use an address like:
>
> 		...!psuvax1!host.BITNET!usename

   We are also a gateway to bitnet now, ...!vu-vlsi!host.bitnet!username
but I have not been able to get from bitnet to here regardless of how
many ""'s I use in vms mail (e.g. To: bitnet%"uucp%vu-vlsi!perry"@vuvaxcom)

> There is no warranty expressed or implied for the BITNET to USENET address.

   You can say that again!

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (11/25/86)

> The machine psuvax1 is on both USENET and BITNET.  It can be used as a
> gateway as follows:
> It would appear that some BITNET mailers have a warped sense of what a
> valid address is and what is allowed to appear in a mail header.

Hear hear.  I've been operating an Internet to BitNet gateway since 1984,
and I have quite a mugbook of some of the utter trash various BitNet mailers
seem to think is valid.  However, I do have a comment on the PSUVAX1 gateway.

We were recently out of touch with our usual Internet to UUCP gateway
(due to unrelated problems) so I took the opportunity to try using PSUVAX1
for some of my personal mail.  I got some advisories back.  None had any
kind of "To:" field, a field required by RFC822 and used by my software to
attempt to recover from BitNet's stupidity in truncating out-of-band addresses
to eight characters.  Needless to say my software didn't appreciate the lack
of "To:" fields, and proceeded to break.  Fortunately I am notified of mail
system glitches and was appropriately chagrined to find said glitches
traceable to mine own hand...

Regardless of the lack of order and standardization on BitNet I don't think
it wise for you to criticize while your own software is part of the problem.

Apologies in advance to anyone this might offend.

---------------

From: uucp@ihnp4.UUCP
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 86 19:34:47 est
Subject: Warning from uucp
Apparently-To: psuvax1!UMD2.BITNET!ZBEN

(Message text.)

PSUVAX1 should have put a "To: ZBEN@UMD2" header field in.  UMD2 would have
done the same for PSUVAX1  :-)
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland Sperrows 1100/92

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (11/25/86)

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) wrote:
->
->The machine psuvax1 is on both USENET and BITNET.  It can be used as a gateway
->as follows:
->
->To send from BITNET to USENET something like the following might work:
->
->		NOTE username%host.uucp at psuvax1

This will never work.  NOTE (on VM/CMS systems only) causes a file to
be sent in NETDATA format.  Unless psuvax1 has recently learned about
how to deal with NETDATA, your message is likely to get trashed.

Henry Mensch /    <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   ...!mit-eddie!garp!henry