[comp.mail.headers] cancelling mail messages

roman@sigma.UUCP (Bill Roman) (12/03/86)

In article <3700@watmath.UUCP> atbowler@watmath.UUCP (Alan T. Bowler
[SDG]) writes:
> [...]  I know I send enough messages
>like "coming for supper?" that have no real meaning if the person
>doesn't see them soon enough.  Being able to retract them avoids
>bothering the person with unneeded mail.

Pardon my ignorance - can this be done with the "Expires:" line?

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (12/04/86)

In <948@sigma.UUCP> roman@sigma.UUCP (Bill Roman) writes:
>In <3700@watmath.UUCP> atbowler (Alan T Bowler [SDG]):
>>[...] I know I send enough messageslike "coming for supper?" that have
>>no real meaning if the person doesn't see them soon enough. Being able
>>to retract them avoids bothering the person with unneeded mail.
>Pardon my ignorance - can this be done with the "Expires:" line?

I don't think so. I don't think it's in the default mail header (I
cannot recall ever seeing it except in news), and I don't know of
any code that supports it. Would sure be a nice idea, though.
--
    chan 'eil Gaidhlig math againn /kha nel' gal'ig' mweh ag0n'/
    (we do not speak good Gaelic)