[comp.mail.headers] Shipping PD software as part of a vendor's Unix release

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (03/19/87)

In article <1342@ncc.UUCP>, lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> This still doesn't help the poor sucker who doesn't have a C compiler
> though. I don't know if there really is a solution here, other than to
> send the mailer source to all the systems vendors with an plea that they
> include it as part of their port.

Sun used to do this with netnews.  They have stopped.  The problem is
that systems vendors only make major software releases every year or
two.  Meanwhile the news software changes out from under them, they are
shipping buggy code whose bug fixes have long ago been fixed and
forgotten, and they get calls from customers claiming that it came with
their machine so the vendor should support it (i.e. document it well,
supply patches and new releases, etc).  All in all, a hassle -- and
putting out a good Unix release is already a 6-month effort at best
(*after* you have made your system work in the lab).  Easier to let
the customers get it from a neighboring system or a mod.sources archive.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
Love your country but never trust its government.

csg@pyramid.UUCP (03/28/87)

In article <1906@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>Meanwhile the news software changes out from under them, they are
>shipping buggy code whose bug fixes have long ago been fixed and
>forgotten, and they get calls from customers claiming that it came with
>their machine so the vendor should support it (i.e. document it well,
>supply patches and new releases, etc).  All in all, a hassle ... Easier to
>let the customers get it from a neighboring system or a mod.sources archive.

Pyramid has been shipping Netnews and a variety of other user contributed
packages with its OSx release for some time now. Most of Pyramid's customers
are commercial sites, hence they prefer having things like Netnews provided
for them and integrated with the rest of the release.

The problem has not been bugs and updates; much PD software is higher quality
than what we get from AT&T. And commercial sites tend to be less concerned
about the latest wizbang versions, so long as what they have is decently
supported. But documentation has been a disaster. Most PD documentation is
terrible, and when it's getting close to the release date and Tech Pubs has
to chose between doing the Netnews manual and the Virtual Disk manual, you
can guess which gets priority. But documentation is the first thing the
customer sees when they want to try out a new package, so the perception of
our PD products has not been good.

We will probably continue to supply and support PD software with the release,
since we have customers who ask for it. It sure is a goodness-of-our-hearts
issue, though; we do not and cannot charge anything for the software, and no
one is going to buy a Pyramid just because we have Netnews supported on it.
(It may even be a strike against us. :-))

I wouldn't expect anyone else to try it.

<csg>

johnc@haddock.UUCP (03/30/87)

>We will probably continue to supply and support PD software with the release,
>since we have customers who ask for it. It sure is a goodness-of-our-hearts
>issue, though; we do not and cannot charge anything for the software...

Funny how this misconception keeps coming up.  True, you can't copyright PD
stuff, or make claims that it is yours.  But there is nothing at all illegal
(or even immoral or fattening) about taking such stuff and incorporting it
into your own "product" which you sell for a price.  The work of porting,
testing, documenting, and generally "packaging" other people's PD stuff is
a valid commercial service.

Just don't try to claim a copyright on it.  To be legally safe, as well as
moral and ethical and all that, include in the documentation a prominent
statement as to who the real author is.  (In fact, you might even give an
email path to them, so you won't be bothered by bug reports. :-)

Recently, I learned that there is a company that will *sell* you a list of
all the free documents available from the U.S. government, complete with
addresses and phone numbers of the agencies.  This popped up in a sarcastic
article about people re-selling 'free' merchandise.  But just try making a
list like this yourself!  You'll appreciate why someone might want you to
reimburse them for their effort.

'Free' software is similar.  It's free only to the few hackers that can take
it and make it run.  Your typical secretary couldn't even start to bring up
usenet on the office PC or Mac.  If someone were to offer a "plug-it-in-and-
watch-it-run" package on a diskette, it could be a viable product.

The important phrase is "added value".

--
	John Chambers	(617)247-1155
	...!ima!johnc