[comp.mail.headers] fidonet <-> usenet

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <149@4gl.UUCP> honzo@4gl.UUCP (Honzo Svasek) writes:
>	I am working on a gateway Usenet <-> Fidonet, and like to know
>	what type of addressing this gateway should accept according
>	to the Usenet communitie.
>
>			Honzo.Svasek@333.500.FIDO

In order to conform to the standards, this should be:

	Honzo.Svasek@333.500.FIDO.NET

>	This is totally in line with current Usenet practice, but might
>	need a registration of the domains. (And I hate filling in
>	registration forms (Any Volunteers :)).

I'll fill out the forms; you pay the $150/year (1/4 a :-))

>	The other way (quick and dirty) would be
>
>			mcvax!4gl!FIDO!500_333!Honzo.Svasek
>
>	but this would prevent getting the mail to the nearest fido
>	gateway (there must be more people interested in providing
>	such a service).
>
>	Comments please!

The syntax you should use is:

	...!4gl!333.500.FIDO.NET!Honzo.Svasek

since this would be compatible with how mail would be addressed (in
the envelope) under the domain scheme. 4gl should recognize that it is
processing a FIDO-bound message by the FIDO.NET at the end of the
hostname.

What you need to do:

Get the person who maintains the map entry for the UUCP machine 4gl,
and get them to add a line like this to their map entry:

4gl	.FIDO.NET($COST$)

Where you would replace "$COST$" with one of the standard UUCP map
link cost values (e.g. HOURLY, DAILY, etc.) indicating how expensive
it is to get the message from 4gl into FIDONET.

Then they should send their uucp map entry to uucpmap@cbosgd.ATT.COM.

If there are any other FIDONET gateways on uucp, they should also send
such an line to their map entries (and send in their updated entry)

Once this is done, mail would then be routed from UUCP hosts to the
nearest (to the sender) FIDOnet gateway.

I don't know the specifics of FIDONET topology, but if the subnets are
organized according to low-cost communications (i.e. local calls), it
makes sense to also put in a line like:

4gl	.500.FIDO.NET($COST$)

(again, replace $COST$ with a valid UUCP cost).  With lines like this
for each UUCP->FIDO gateway (indicating which FIDO subnet it talks
to--if it talks to more than one, you'd have more than one such line),
the mail will be routed via UUCP to a UUCP->FIDO gateway on the same
subnet as the destination address, if one exists, otherwise to a
general UUCP->FIDO gateway (one with a .FIDO.NET($COST$) line) closest
to the sender.

The next step is to apply to register your domain.  Having the domain
registered will extend FIDO mail accessiblilty to the Internet
(including the ARPAnet, the MILNET, CSnet, etc.).  It will also
guarantee you exclusive use of the FIDO.NET name, preventing someone
else from 1) using it and screwing you up or 2) registering it and
forcing you to give it up.

Hope this answers your questions.

Jeff Siegal

plocher@hobbes.UUCP (04/12/87)

+---- In article <149@4gl.UUCP> Honzo Svasek writes:

|			How to address a Fido node!
|			===========================
|
|	I am working on a gateway Usenet <-> Fidonet, and like to know
|	what type of addressing this gateway should accept according
|	to the Usenet communitie.
+----

The unofficial standard already in use (by Bob Hartman, John Galvin, and
others) is to use the following address syntax:

    ...uucppath!uucpgateway!Fidogateway!NET!NODE!USER_NAME

Propogation from the Fido gateway to non-local nets *must* be up to
the sysop of the Fido gateway!  ie.  in Madison, WI, the sysop of
'circle' (aka 121/0) will only propogate mail to machines within
net 121.  He can not send email to other nets (long distance) unless
they make arrangements to poll him for their mail.

His address as currently implemented and functioning is:

    ...rutgers!uwvax!uwmacc!hobbes!circle!121!0!John_Galvin

This syntax leaves inter-net mail delivery up to the Fido gateway
admin; the uucp node hobbes never worries about it.  This gets a
bit unwieldy for people wanting to send email to Fido.  They must
remember the uucp path, the uucp name of the Fido node (circle),
the Fido net number of that node (121), and the node/name of the
recipient (0!John_Galvin).  It might be better for the Fidonet
gateways to be known to Usenet by their net numbers instead of a
fanciful name like 'circle'.  Thus the address would be:

    ...rutgers!uwvax!uwmacc!hobbes!121!0!John_Galvin

This leaves the inter-net mail delivery up to the admin of hobbes.
Mail delivery then would depend on the Unix gateway calling up the
receiving fidonet gateways when mail was waiting for them.

    ...rutgers!uwvax!uwmacc!hobbes!1!0!FidoNews
    ...rutgers!uwvax!uwmacc!hobbes!121!10!Joe_Blow
    ...rutgers!uwvax!uwmacc!hobbes!132!42!Georgette_Public

The problem, you see, is that FidoNet is not really a store-and-forward
network like Bitnet and Usenet/uucp.  The FidoNet is more of a wide area
network where each node can comunicate directly with any other node, albeit
with quite a bit of delay built into the system.  If there was some way of
setting up a node which would act as a clearinghouse for email, then every
node (or hub) could poll it for mail on a daily basis.  In this case, the
address:

	uucppath!FIDO!121!0!John_Galvin

would work out for everyone.  Just as 'psuvax1' is the uucp <=> BITNET gateway,
'FIDO' could be the uucp <=> FidoNet gateway.

Alternitively, some uucp site could maintain the FIDO domain as a second level
domain under UUCP:

    John_Galvin@0.121.FIDO.UUCP

This site would have a database of those uucp sites which were acting as
uucp <=> FidoNet gateways, and route the email to the appropriate gateway.

    John_Galvin@0.121.FIDO.UUCP
	-- would become --
    John_Galvin%0.121.FIDO@hobbes.UUCP  (or some such)

Hope that this hasn't been too long... :-)

BTW, the link between hobbes and circle is based on uuslave and a
set of utilities to integrate News and email into the _familier_
Fido message areas.  These utilities are almost ready for distribution,
send email to me if you are interested.

--
 John Plocher		UUCP: <backbone>!uwvax!uwmacc!hobbes!plocher
==============      Internet: plocher%hobbes.UUCP@uwvax.WISC.EDU

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (Jacob Gore) (04/12/87)

>>	I can imagen the following:
>>
>>			Honzo.Svasek@333.500.FIDO
> [...]
>
>    I see the addressing working like this:
>
>     user_name@NODEn.NETn.ZONEn.FIDO.NET     or
>     Tim_Pozar@NODE406.NET125.ZONE1.FIDO.NET
>
>    This takes care of two problems.
>    1]  Smart mailers could route to the nearest Fido Gateway.
>    2]  If additional areas get added (such as POINTs) it can be added
>        with out screwing up the gateway.

The whole beauty of Internet addresses (as I see it) is that they hide the
networking details.  What network(s) is "prep.AI.MIT.Edu" on?  (That's a
rhetorical question (:-))

"Smart" mailers can figure out how to send to a host without having a network
name inplanted into the address.  It would be nice if Fido hosts could fit
into this scheme.

Jacob Gore
Northwestern University, Computer Science Research Lab
{ihnp4,chinet}!nucsrl!gore

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (04/13/87)

A lot of people seem to be confused about how to address different systems
that have different address notations (e.g. Fidonet).  I've seen suggestions
that range from having each part of the Fido address being a different
``hostname'' (e.g. gateway!node!net!user), ones that suggest .FIDO should
be a top-level domain (joe@44.24.FIDO), that should be a second-level
domain under .ORG (joe@44.24.FIDO.ORG) and a second-level domain under
.UUCP (!) (as in joe@44,24.FIDO.UUCP).

Well . . . . As Tim Pozar pointed out in his message on this subject,
there are a number of existing standards that need to be considered,
not only on OUR end (e.g. RFC-822, RFC-976, etc), but on the other
end too, on the FIDO systems.  As he pointed out, the Fido system is
most likely going to be changing to a point and zone address
notation since TJ never anticipated it catching on this well and
crushing the original addressing scheme.

So what does this all mean?  It means that:

1. All fidonet gateways should speak the same address format for mail
   TO fidonet (and from Fidonet too, but that's a subject we haven't
   talked about much yet in this group).  This address should allow for
   future expansion of the Fidonet system and be a legal set of domains
   in the UUCP/ARPA world.

2. Since the conceptual model of Fido addresses is a heirarchical domain
   system (e.g. local-user/local-host-number/host-network) (or something
   like that) it is needlessly confusing to change the notation to appear
   to be a series of hostnames (e.g. gateway!host-network!local-host-num!user).
   This is a *BAD* scheme...

3. The existing heirarchical system is designed to have a *very* small
   number of different top-level domains (including .COM, .EDU, .MIL, and
   .ORG).  One of the existing domains is ".NET" and is meant to denote
   a gateway to a different network.  For example, the CSNET gateway for
   the ARPA Internet is at "RELAY.CS.NET".   There is  *NO*  reason why
   we shouldn't fit in with this scheme (e.g. .FIDO.NET) and this not only
   means we're compatible, but that the routing software (e.g. smail) will
   know what to do with mail to Fidonet (it will, correctly, send it to the
   'cheapest route' Fido gateway on the system).

4. As far as the individual node addresses and all, I strongly agree with
   Tim that we need to identify WHICH PART of the address each part is.
   So this means that, for example, his address is:

	Tim_Pozar@NODE137.ZONE65.FIDO.NET

   and we let the local mail system route the mail appropriately.  (Cheap
   plug: the Elm system supports the "domains" database too, so you can
   have a simple one-line entry to allow users to directly type in this
   sort of address and have it routed as needed!)

I think that the other existing Fido gateways are great, but that we really
DO need to at least keep a consistent addressing format.

						-- Dave Taylor

ps: I don't think we should have a "FIDO" host - we do *NOT* want to tie
    the entire network into having a single gateway, do we??

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (04/14/87)

In the referenced article, Jacob Gore <gore@nucsrl.UUCP> writes:

>The whole beauty of Internet addresses (as I see it) is that they hide the
>networking details.  What network(s) is "prep.AI.MIT.Edu" on?  (That's a
>rhetorical question (:-))
>
>"Smart" mailers can figure out how to send to a host without having a network
>name inplanted into the address.  It would be nice if Fido hosts could fit
>into this scheme.

I agree wholeheartedly, however, the other people working on the
gateway software don't agree with me. Among the problems with the idea
is that the existing hostnames from the FidoNet nodelist will not work
on the UUCP network or the ARPA Internet, which means that each FidoNet
host would have to pick a new name within the rules imposed by the UUCP
network and ARPA Internet. Somehow, I can't see all 1,500 sites doing
this unless it's forced on them from outside.

So for the moment we're stuck doing things with the net/node numbers...

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <18304@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>In the referenced article, Jacob Gore <gore@nucsrl.UUCP> writes:
>>The whole beauty of Internet addresses (as I see it) is that they hide the
>>networking details.[...]
>[...]Among the problems with the idea
>is that the existing hostnames from the FidoNet nodelist will not work
>on the UUCP network or the ARPA Internet, which means that each FidoNet
>host would have to pick a new name.

The existance of a working, transparant, bidirectional, gateway between
UUCP and FidoNet (is that the correct capitalization?) would allow, but
not require, any FidoNet host to register with UUCP for both a domain
and a map entry.  Such a gateway would translate low-level (i.e. bang
format) UUCP addresses into Fido addresses.  In a sense, FidoNet would
become part of UUCP, similar to the way notes sites exist on Usenet.

Jeff Siegal

pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <3380002@nucsrl.UUCP> gore@nucsrl.UUCP (Jacob Gore) writes:
>>>	I can imagen the following:
>>>
>>>			Honzo.Svasek@333.500.FIDO
>> [...]
>>
>>    I see the addressing working like this:
>>
>>     user_name@NODEn.NETn.ZONEn.FIDO.NET     or
>>     Tim_Pozar@NODE406.NET125.ZONE1.FIDO.NET
>>
>>    This takes care of two problems.
>>    1]  Smart mailers could route to the nearest Fido Gateway.
>>    2]  If additional areas get added (such as POINTs) it can be added
>>        with out screwing up the gateway.
>
>The whole beauty of Internet addresses (as I see it) is that they hide the
>networking details.  What network(s) is "prep.AI.MIT.Edu" on?  (That's a
>rhetorical question (:-))
>
>"Smart" mailers can figure out how to send to a host without having a network
>name inplanted into the address.  It would be nice if Fido hosts could fit
>into this scheme.

    I forgot one more reason to add the domain name to the front...
       3]  A RFC (which on was it Erik?) stated that domains must lead off
           with a alpha charicter, not a number.

    Fido hosts are not the culprits here.  It is how the Net(fido) is
structured and how the gateway is implemented.
    Here is a question to your question.  Where do these two pieces of
mail go?
        user_name@10.2.135.FIDO.NET
  or    user_name@10.101.2.FIDO.NET
    The first could go to point10, node2, net135, and the second could go
to node10, net101, zone2.  The problem is that a "2" could be a zone, net,
node, or point (and now someone proposed even regions and hubs as seperate
levels!)  How can smart mailers parse this when I can't?  If I receive
the first address I would asssume that he wants it to stay in the United
States (zone 1) since zones haven't gone over the one digit numbers yet.
    Are writers of smart mailers going to write all of the possiblities into
their mailers?   Doubtful.  Having the explicit name for the level of each
domain can be parsed much cleaner.  What we're trying to do is have UUCP
mailers handle fido mail and fido mailers handle uucp style mail.  The
two systems are not entirely different, but they are significantly different
to need to use each other a little different to insure the flow of mail.

hsu@santra.UUCP (04/15/87)

>     user_name@NODEn.NETn.ZONEn.FIDO.NET     or
>     Tim_Pozar@NODE406.NET125.ZONE1.FIDO.NET

How about
	user_name@f1.n504.z358.FIDONET ?

>in time, there is a group of UUCP and Fido people on a mailing list called
>"spot-m@hoptoad.UUCP".  If you are interested in participating in this sort

add me on list, please, +--------------------+
                        ! hsu@santra.UUCP    !
                        ! hsu@fingate.BITNET !
                        ! Fido 504/1         !
                        +--------------------+

david@ukma.UUCP (04/16/87)

Folksies ... please correct me if I'm wrong.

In article <1589@hplabsc.UUCP> taylor@hplabs.HP.COM (Dave Taylor) writes:
>3. The existing heirarchical system is designed to have a *very* small
>   number of different top-level domains (including .COM, .EDU, .MIL, and
>   .ORG).  One of the existing domains is ".NET" and is meant to denote
>   a gateway to a different network.  For example, the CSNET gateway for
>   the ARPA Internet is at "RELAY.CS.NET".   There is  *NO*  reason why
>   we shouldn't fit in with this scheme (e.g. .FIDO.NET) and this not only
>   means we're compatible, but that the routing software (e.g. smail) will
>   know what to do with mail to Fidonet (it will, correctly, send it to the
>   'cheapest route' Fido gateway on the system).

The .net domains are supposed to be for the control centers of
other networks.  The only machines under .cs.net are those at
the csnet-relay site.  No others.  I believe that would follow
for other networks as well.

Fido won't fit well with the current scheme.  A large number of the
machines are in foreign countries, so would easily fit into some
subdomain of that countries' domain.  ('cept, some of those countries
have no existing organization using those domain names yet ....
this could be *real* interesting..).  Other machines are home
personal machines, some are owned by some business, etc.  For
all but home/personal machines, there are existing domains which
the machine can fit into.

Remember, domains aren't supposed to imply routes.  But putting
everybody on Fido into ".fido.net" (for instance) would be exactly
that.

The meta-lesson is that rfc920 doesn't work in the general case,
and that usenet/fidonet are close to the general case.
--
-----   David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, david@ms.uky.csnet
-----  (also "postmaster", "news", and the Usenet map maintainer for Kentucky.)

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (04/16/87)

You can't just create a top level domain name like .FIDO, or even a
2nd level domain name like .FIDO.NET.  You have to get the registrar
of the parent domain to agree to it.  You'll never get the NIC to create
a top level FIDO domain, and they own the root.  They also own NET and
ORG, but their position on these is less clear.  The NIC is strongly
opposed to physical network based domains like user@host.UUCP and
user@host.ARPA.  Since user@host.FIDO.NET is just a subterfuge to
get the same effect, I suspect they won't allow it either.  Certainly
you don't see CSNET members with addresses like Ohio-State.CS.NET;
the CS.NET domain is there for the use of CSNET owned machines, not
CSNET members.

FIDO.ORG is a concept that might fly, after all, FIDO is an organization
and all the proposed subdomains are members of the organization.  Also,
UUCP is putting hobbyists who want domains in 3rd level domains under ORG
(the typical hobbyist pays only $20/year for the domain when they go through
a "hobby park", which is typically a local UNIX User's group - interested
organizations should contact the UUCP Project at cbosgd!stargate!uucp-query,
interested hobbyists should go through your local group or form one.)

FIDO is really a separate large network, and as such many of their members
are likely to also belong to some other network, either today or eventually,
and to conduct business on their net.  The danger of using FIDO.ORG is that
any member who joins another network (or wants a commercial address under
.COM somewhere to appear professional to business clients) may find themselves
not wanting to be under FIDO.ORG.  If the transport mechanism (FIDO) and
the domain (FIDO.ORG) are so closely married in all the implementations,
this may be difficult to solve.  It's a gotcha lurking down the road, and
I urge FIDO to consider it carefully.

Others have pointed out that the domain used must be registered or it doesn't
count, and that the RFC's forbid domains beginning with digits.  (This last
restriction came as a surprise to me - we've already registered 3Com.COM
and they're working fine, then someone pointed out the RFC.  It's currently
under investigation, and it might turn out that leading digits are OK.)
In any case, one obvious solution is to stick a standard letter in front:
310/100 becomes f100.f310.fido.org, for example (I hope I have this right.)

	Mark Horton
	Managing Director, the UUCP Project

pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (04/18/87)

In article <5022@santra.UUCP> hsu@santra.UUCP (Heikki Suonsivu) writes:

>How about
>	user_name@f1.n504.z358.FIDONET ?

    Fine by me.  Is f = node and n = net?   I would only complain about
not having "rememberable" mnemonics.

         Tim

--
        Tim Pozar