[comp.mail.headers] routes vs addresses

wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (04/07/88)

I can send mail from killer to uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck and Joe
will get it. killer doesn't know uunet, but the mailer will find a route
there. This is an address, not a route. To further illustrate the
point, classify the following as route or address.

jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net
@uunet.uu.net:jbuck@epimass.epi.com

..b

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (04/07/88)

] Killer has no link to uunet, and uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck works so
] u!e!j must be an address.
Nope.  The agent that created that address is telling killer give this
to uunet, with info so uunet will give it to jbuck.  Your machine is
smart enough to know how to get there, but there is no requirement
that all machine be so smart.  Is cca!pineapple!rsalz a route or
an address?  It's an address, because it all depends on where you're
coming from.  To most folks "cca" will be cca.cca.com; however we
have a bbn.cca.com ...

If there is more than one ! in a path, it's a route.  If it were an
address, then people would not be getting upset at Rutgers for
modifying them, right?

>classify the following as route or address.
>jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net
This is an address of the form "local-part@uunet.uu.net" the "%" hack is
nowhere defined.  Also, you're confusing things because epimass has
a direct uunet link.  Is "rs%mirror.uucp@harvard.harvard.edu" a route
or an address?  There never was a mirror<->harvard UUCP link.  (The
question's rhetorical:  it's an address.)

>@uunet.uu.net:jbuck@epimass.epi.com
This is an RFC822 route.

	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (04/09/88)

In article <603@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>>classify the following as route or address.
>>jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net
>This is an address of the form "local-part@uunet.uu.net" the "%" hack is
>nowhere defined.  Also, you're confusing things because epimass has
>a direct uunet link.

Nope.  Such mail will actually go from uunet to wrl.epi.com and then
to us, or take a completely different route depending on what's in
the map data.  epimass does not talk directly to uunet.  I give that
address so people with obsolete Internet mailers that don't
understand MX records (and there are a hell of a lot of them) can
mail to me.  Since MX records for .epi.com point to uunet.uu.net,
it's really equivalent to jbuck@epimass.epi.com for those purposes.
--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old Internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (04/09/88)

Joe:
    classify the following as route or address.
    jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net
Me:
    This is an address of the form "local-part@uunet.uu.net" the "%" hack is
    nowhere defined.  Also, you're confusing things because epimass has
    a direct uunet link.
Joe:
    Nope.  Such mail will actually go from uunet to wrl.epi.com and then
    to us, or take a completely different route depending on what's in
    the map data.  epimass does not talk directly to uunet.

Okay, so I had the right answer for the wrong reason:  it's an address
because it does *not* specify any routing information...
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.