[comp.mail.headers] Real data to support my claim that '-d sun' is the way to go.

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (08/06/88)

[ By the way, I'm sure Sun is grateful for my decision.  They pass an awful
  lot of mail for free there, and they don't need my traffic at all. ]

I ran a test tonight to see how Sun.COM's MTA was behaving.  The results
are unsurprising.

I sent three messages from my home machine, vixie.UUCP, to myself on
decwrl.dec.com.  I used this path in all three: pacbell!sun!decwrl!vixie.
I edited the messages in the UUCP spool directory before they were sent
to pacbell, so I could try several different "From:" lines.  The original
text of the "From:" line is duplicated in the "Subject:" line -- luckily,
Sun.COM does _not_ rewrite "Subject:" lines -- yet :-).

Note that in all three cases, the "Return-Path:" header has the correct
contents.  (For those not in the know, Return-Path: is where MH puts the
UUCP From_ line.)  A value of "sun!pacbell!vixie!paul" is correct because
this is in fact an exact reverse of the route the message took to get here.

Note also that the "To:" line is in its original form, which is correct.
Many MTAs incorrectly strip their own name out of the To: header; one can
probably assume that if "sun!" had been on the front of the "To:" value,
it would have been stripped.  Since it was hiding behind a "pacbell!", it
was safe.

::::::::::::::
inbox/140
::::::::::::::
To: pacbell!sun!decwrl!vixie
Subject: test, From: line in @ notation (From: paul@vixie.uu.net)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 88 19:12:42 PDT
From: Paul A Vixie <sun!vixie.uu.net!paul>

---
This first one is replyable, though for a strange reason.  decwrl would send
it to "sun!" who would see "vixie.uu.net!" and say "ah, uunet.uu.net is the
MX for *.uu.net, so I'll send it to uunet.uu.net who will deliver it
further."  The message didn't come through uunet to get to decwrl; why
should it have to go back that way?

If decwrl were running a passive router, the message would still have to go
to "sun!" since passive routers (as I define the term) will only route to the
first host/domain in a path.  Perhaps hosts like Sun.COM are the reason
why hosts like Rutgers.EDU exist?  (Rutgers is an active rerouter, it will
start on the right end of a path and route to the first thing it recognizes;
this is evil and rude, as I explained yesterday).

::::::::::::::
inbox/141
::::::::::::::
To: pacbell!sun!decwrl!vixie
Subject: test, From: line in @ notation (From: paul@vixie.UUCP)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 88 19:09:37 PDT
From: Paul A Vixie <sun!vixie!paul>

---
This message is unreplyable.  This is why I have "-d sun" in my makepaths
script.  I can't fault Sun.COM for rewriting u@h.UUCP to h!u since they
mean the same thing; adding "sun!" to the front of the result is just
plain wrong and there is no modern defense for the practice.

::::::::::::::
inbox/142
::::::::::::::
To: pacbell!sun!decwrl!vixie
Subject: test, From: line in ! notation (From: vixie!paul)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 88 19:10:20 PDT
From: Paul A Vixie <sun!vixie!paul>

---
See comments from #141.

--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/07/88)

In article <3703@palo-alto.DEC.COM> vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) writes:
>I ran a test tonight to see how Sun.COM's MTA was behaving.  The results
>are unsurprising.

Yeah, but none of the results came up with vixie!paul@sun.com like
you claimed it would ... hmmm

I'm not real sure how the mail got from sun to decwrl.  In all the cases
the Received: line has full.domain.names for both sun and decwrl, something
which I assume would happen only when it's being delivered over the internet.
But the From: and To: lines are in bang format, something I would expect
for mail delivered over a uucp link.  Perhaps sun is putting a sun.com
in the From_ lines of uucp mail?

Oh, MH may put uucp routes into Return-Path:.  What it's *really* for
is in the SMTP protocol, for recording the path the message took
through the network.  When a message arrives at some place with
SMTP you add your own hostname to the Return-Path: line.  So, in the
general case, Return-Path: means the return-path in the 'envelope'.
For UUCP mail the 'envelope' is the From_ line(s) and the command
line given to rmail.  (forward-path).

>Subject: test, From: line in @ notation (From: paul@vixie.uu.net)
>From: Paul A Vixie <sun!vixie.uu.net!paul>
>
>---
>This first one is replyable, though for a strange reason.  decwrl would send
>it to "sun!" who would see "vixie.uu.net!" and say "ah, uunet.uu.net is the
>MX for *.uu.net, so I'll send it to uunet.uu.net who will deliver it
>further."  The message didn't come through uunet to get to decwrl; why
>should it have to go back that way?

Why are you surprised at this?  Maybe you haven't read rfc976?  Though
I'd be surprised if you hadn't.  Anyway, this is a classic case of
garbage-in garbage-out.  You told it to do something (i.e. that you're
part of the uu.net domain) so it's merely doing the right thing for
what it knows.  If you were to advertise in the uucp maps that you
are the gateway for vixie.uu.net, AND your mailer is ready to accept
vixie.uu.net as an alias for itself, THEN sun would know some path
which merely went through the bay area and would reach you.

>Subject: test, From: line in @ notation (From: paul@vixie.UUCP)
>From: Paul A Vixie <sun!vixie!paul>
>
>---
>This message is unreplyable.  This is why I have "-d sun" in my makepaths
>script.  I can't fault Sun.COM for rewriting u@h.UUCP to h!u since they
>mean the same thing; adding "sun!" to the front of the result is just
>plain wrong and there is no modern defense for the practice.

If they are running a passive re-router then it would be replyable.
I do not know what they are running, but passive re-routing (to use
your terms) is simple to put up -- even under sendmail :-) -- and
does wonders for the usability of the system.

I agree that simply prepending sun! to a From: line is *wrong*.  emory
used to (still does?) get this very wrong ... They'd prepend emory! to
the beginning of From: & To: lines which went out via uucp.  So we'd
end up with messages From: emory!speck@arizona.edu (I forget the exact
address, but it was Don Speck I think ...).
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (08/08/88)

According to RFC822, the Return-Path header is added by the final
mailer that delivers the message to its recipient. It's supposed to
contain definitive information about the route back to the
originator. It's not supposed to appear in a message until the
very end of that message's travels. It's not supposed to be added
to as a message wends its way through the network.

The only MTS I know of that handles this correctly is Smail 3.1,
which puts a copy of the From_ line into a Return-Path line if a
message is being delivered by the "local" transport.

There is a compile-time option to MH that makes it transform From_
lines into Return-Path lines.

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (08/08/88)

In article <10139@g.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
# In article <3703@palo-alto.DEC.COM> vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) writes:
# >From: Paul A Vixie <sun!vixie.uu.net!paul>
# >
# >---
#
# Why are you surprised at this?  Maybe you haven't read rfc976?  Though
# I'd be surprised if you hadn't.  Anyway, this is a classic case of
# garbage-in garbage-out.  You told it to do something (i.e. that you're
# part of the uu.net domain) so it's merely doing the right thing for
# what it knows.

Nope.  If something comes in from the outside in user@dom.ain format,
RFC82{1/2} says that the "dom.ain" part must be registered with the NIC.
Therefore it makes no sense to rewrite into "sun!dom.ain!user" UNLESS
THE MESSAGE IS GOING INSIDE SUN'S INTERNAL NETWORK and even then it's
of questionable value.  user@dom.ain is replayable on its own, I tell
you!  RFC82{1/2} _demands_ that it be replyable on its own.

One could charitably assume that Sun.COM sees the bang-path in the "To:"
or envelope recipient and decides that it is gatewaying between two
different networks -- except that the message _came in_ from the same
network it would be leaving on: UUCP.

What's actually going on is that Sun.COM doesn't run IDA or any other
variant of Sendmail that lets you rewrite the envelope differently
than you rewrite the headers.  They don't see this problem as important
enough to justify the extra headache of not doing unto the "From:" line
as they do to the "From_" line.  Pfaa.  I obviously disagree.  I could
almost make a case for them rewriting "vixie!paul" into "sun!vixie!paul"
since the next site in the path might not know what "vixie!" means.
But they could at least see if Sun.COM (itself!) knows what "vixie!"
means, since they are _mandating_ that the reply come back through them.

# >From: Paul A Vixie <sun!vixie!paul>
# >
# >---
# >This message is unreplyable.  This is why I have "-d sun" in my makepaths
# >script.  I can't fault Sun.COM for rewriting u@h.UUCP to h!u since they
# >mean the same thing; adding "sun!" to the front of the result is just
# >plain wrong and there is no modern defense for the practice.
#
# If they are running a passive re-router then it would be replyable.
# I do not know what they are running, but passive re-routing (to use
# your terms) is simple to put up -- even under sendmail :-) -- and
# does wonders for the usability of the system.

True, _if_ they ran a passive router, the message would be replyable and I
would not be bitching as loudly as I am.  They don't.  The message is not
replyable -- "sun!" bounces it on the way back through.

Note that running a passive router doesn't make it okay to rewrite headers
that don't belong to you; it just makes the crime less heinous (sp?).  The
only time when the header sender or recipient can be correctly rewritten is
when the message is crossing the boundary between one network and another --
and that is decidedly not the case here.

# I agree that simply prepending sun! to a From: line is *wrong*.

The implication is that rewriting into a homogenous form and adding one's
host name in that form would be okay -- and it's not.  That is, rewriting
	vixie!paul       into  sun!vixie!paul
   or	paul@vixie.uucp  into  paul%vixie@sun.com
is no better than rewriting
	vixie!paul       into  vixie!paul@sun
   or	paul@vixie.uucp  into  sun!paul@vixie.uucp

In _neither_ case is it okay to mess around with the header addresses AT ALL.
They can do this if the message is bound for BITNET or the inside of their
own network; they cannot do this when the message is passing from one Internet
site to another with Sun.COM as simply an intermediary.

The assumption is that if it comes in over UUCP or is going out over UUCP
then it's not Internet traffic.  This is false.  UUCP is one of several
common transport mediums over with Internet mail can flow.  So by all means,
do unto the envelope sender and recipient what you must do to make the
message palatable to the medium it's going out over.  But please leave the
header sender and recipients alone!  (Unless you're a gateway, as I said.)
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP
Western Research Laboratory	 uunet!decwrl!vixie	   uunet!vixie!paul
Palo Alto, California, USA	  +1 415 853 6600	   +1 415 864 7013

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/08/88)

Paul, I think we really do agree (now that we've iterated the argument
a couple of times) ... Possibly there's a slight disagreement over exactly
when it's kosher to rewrite things and when it's not.  But then the system
I oversee *is* a gateway between uucp/bitnet/internet.  I view my internal
network as not being part of the internet and EVERY piece of mail which
comes from the outside has to be converted to proper rfc82{2,1} format.

But then MMDF makes that real nice to because it does such a good
job at rewriting headers and keeping envelope information seperate
from header information.

I am curious why nobody from Sun is here defending their honor.
Yoo Hoo!  Anybody home at Sun?  Anybody wanna defend their sendmail
configuration there?

I tried a test message to you at vixie!paul@sun.com just to see what
would happen.  Here's the result:

Oh well.  I had a higher opinion of the people at sun...  A place
that can make a >$1 billion company off of 4.3bsd (not to mention
become a major player in the computer biz) *ought* to have better
talent than this in their e-mail department.

] Date: Sun, 7 Aug 88 09:17:24 PDT
] From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@SUN.COM>
] Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
] To: david@ms.uky.edu
] MMDF-Warning:  Parse error in original version of preceding line at e.ms.uky.edu
]
]    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
] bad system name: vixie
] uux failed ( 68 )
] 550 <vixie!paul>... Host unknown
]
]    ----- Unsent message follows -----
] Date:     Sun, 7 Aug 88 12:13:02 EDT
] From: David Herron E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>
] To: sun!vixie!paul@ms.uky.edu
] Subject:  this is a test
]
] to see if I can send mail to a supposedly unmailable route
] --
] <----

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (08/08/88)

In article <5124@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
>[ explanation of Return-Path According to RFC822 ]
>
>The only MTS I know of that handles this correctly is Smail 3.1,
>which puts a copy of the From_ line into a Return-Path line if a
>message is being delivered by the "local" transport.

Has anyone seen smail 3.1?  I was able to find 3.0 in killer's archives
but it appears not to be any substantial change over 2.5.  The dates and
version numbers are the same as 2.5 anyway.  This Return-Path looks like
a nice new wrinkle.  It also looks like something worth adding into the
"reply" function of something like Berkeley mail.

What are the new features of smail 3.1?  Where can we get it?  Is it
worth having smail look for "Return-Path" instead of re-routing if
the last site!user is the same as the one in the From:?  Don't shudder
too hard on the last one, I know the snake population and depth of
that pit :-)
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,rutgers,sun!daver,uunet!bigtex}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

nowicki%rose@Sun.COM (Bill Nowicki) (08/09/88)

In article <10141@g.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> I am curious why nobody from Sun is here defending their honor.
> Yoo Hoo!  Anybody home at Sun?  Anybody wanna defend their sendmail
> configuration there?

Sure, we are home, but only have time to deal with Usenet flames about
once a week.  Most time is spent supporting paying customers. :-)

I realize that some people will NEVER be satisfied, but please try to
understand the problem from both sides. We rewrite "From:
sitename!user" into "From: sitename!user@Sun.COM" because we want to
comply with the Internet standards for domain names.  "sitename!user"
is NOT a valid domain name, nor is "user@sitename.UUCP".  The primary
standard that we support is the domain name system, and if you use
proper domain names then the From:  line should not normally be
touched.  However, all our internal names are converted into domain
format, and we have several gateways to the outside world to hide
internal complexity, so sometimes even if it LOOKS like a message is
sent from UUCP to UUCP, it often gets converted into domain format and
then back out again.

> I tried a test message to you at vixie!paul@sun.com just to see what
> would happen.

It is not suprising.  We run standard (now System Vr3) UUCP software,
and do not do any routing of UUCP names.  So any mail to
site!user@Sun.COM will only work if the site is a direct UUCP
neighbor.  I have requested that we be taken out of the "d.Top" file as
a top-level domain router, in case that will help.  We already forward
several thousand mail messages per day between UUCP and the Internet,
so would not mind at all the reduction in traffic.

Unfortunately your claim that "all rewriting of From: lines is wrong"
is not correct unless EVERYONE is doing UUCP routing.  For example,
consider:

	siteA --uucp--> sun --uucp--> siteB

The From: line starts out as "From: siteA!user", and we rewrite it
as "From: siteA!user@Sun.COM", which then gets rewritten going out
as "From: sun!siteA!user".  The flamers are saying this is "RUDE".
But if we did NOT do it, then when the recipient at siteB replied
to the message, it would fail unless siteB were running UUCP routing
software.  Since the standard UUCP software from AT&T (AND BERKELEY!!)
DOES NOT support UUCP routing, this is usually not the case.  Thus we
try to be conservative, so that the recipient can reply if they do
UUCP routing or not. Since almost all of our mail is either directly
to us, or relayed through one hop, or relayed from all machines
that rewrite the header (i.e. standard Sun-issue software), we chose
to have a policy that causes these paths to generate replyable headers.

As you discovered, if you are NOT a direct UUCP neighbor of Sun,
but instead relay through a site that does NOT rewrite, e.g.:

	siteA --uucp--> siteB --uucp--> sun --Internet--> siteC

Then our scheme breaks down.  My response is that "siteB" is at fault,
since it did not rewrite the From: line as "siteB!siteA!user".  If it
did, then replies would work fine.  Another solution would be for siteA
to use a different path to the Internet.  We could just reject mail
relayed through these "non-rewriting" sites, and just do it for
neighbors.  Of course, we could also install the UUCP routing software,
but so far nobody has had the time to test, maintain, and document it.
If you can convince AT&T or Berkeley to put it in their releases, it
might help the situation.

Remember: just because YOU might run UUCP routing software, it does not
imply that everyone else is.

	-- Bill Nowicki
	   Sun Microsystems

(nothing official, of course, just personal opinions)

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/09/88)

In article <63372@sun.uucp> nowicki%rose@Sun.COM (Bill Nowicki) writes:
>In article <10141@g.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>> I am curious why nobody from Sun is here defending their honor.
>> Yoo Hoo!  Anybody home at Sun?  Anybody wanna defend their sendmail
>> configuration there?
>Sure, we are home, but only have time to deal with Usenet flames about
>once a week.  Most time is spent supporting paying customers. :-)

uh, well, goshy gee whillickers.  I look around the cs dept and see
a *few* Sun's so we must be paying customers ... hmmm. :-)  We even
have at least one of them nifty keano new and improved Sun 4's! (big) :-)
(Not here in CS, but there is >=1 on campus)

>Unfortunately your claim that "all rewriting of From: lines is wrong"
>is not correct unless EVERYONE is doing UUCP routing.  For example,
>consider:
>
>	siteA --uucp--> sun --uucp--> siteB

I didn't claim that.  This site rewrites From: lines all the time.
If anybody claimed that it was Paul.  Any claim I would have made
is that if you're going to rewrite From: lines then DO IT RIGHT!

>The From: line starts out as "From: siteA!user", and we rewrite it
>as "From: siteA!user@Sun.COM", which then gets rewritten going out
>as "From: sun!siteA!user".  The flamers are saying this is "RUDE".
>But if we did NOT do it, then when the recipient at siteB replied
>to the message, it would fail unless siteB were running UUCP routing
>software.  Since the standard UUCP software from AT&T (AND BERKELEY!!)
>DOES NOT support UUCP routing, this is usually not the case.  Thus we
>try to be conservative, so that the recipient can reply if they do
>UUCP routing or not. Since almost all of our mail is either directly
>to us, or relayed through one hop, or relayed from all machines
>that rewrite the header (i.e. standard Sun-issue software), we chose
>to have a policy that causes these paths to generate replyable headers.

It sounds to me as if the short version is this paragraph is

	We run primitive software!  Nyahh!  Nyahh!

Look.  Communications is important.  One of the large reasons
for the existance of the computers we have *here* (at UK) is
for e-mail with colleagues.  I suspect that any site which
takes part in Usenet also would like to have a good e-mail
system.  As would most other places where you guys sell computers.

Saying that standard software doesn't do good e-mail is not
a good excuse.  For one thing I was under the impression that
you guys were going to be able to make some strong influences
on the next version of the Standard Software.  Tho' that was
described as putting BSD features in -- like the fast file system
and some other niceties...

Be that as it may.  How are things to improve if a major player
is saying "we won't improve things"?  I, a customer speaking here,
would love to see you guys (not just Sun but AT&T, BSD, DEC, etc)
to provide capable e-mail software with your systems.  One *really*
*GOOD* way of testing the e-mail software before letting your
customers at it is to run it in house in a production environment
for awhile.

I once defended Sun's honor to a DEC salesman who was claiming
that DEC had far better communications capabilities than Sun
did.  I knew fully well that Sun has all sorts of capabilities
and that it's the equal of the capabilities in VMS.  At least,
give each their intended environment (DECNET || INTERNET) and
they'll have equivalent capabilities.  But now that I see this
attitude I'm not so sure.  At least with DEC's "primary" OS they
deliver a mailer that can route mail world-wide ... :-) (sort of)

>[Just because you're running UUCP routing software doesn't mean
> everyone is ...]

To which I say .... *SO*???

Now.  Don't take me wrong.  I'm mostly happy with the Sun equipment
we have.  It's good reasonable stuff.  The software is a little strange
sometimes, but then every company puts out strange stuff sometimes.
I just want to see the world improve is all.
--

jordan@zooks.ads.com (Jordan Hayes) (08/10/88)

David Herron <david@ms.uky.edu> writes:

	Look.  Communications is important.

Clearly.

/jordan

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (08/10/88)

In article <63372@sun.uucp> nowicki%rose@Sun.COM (Bill Nowicki) writes:
|In article <10141@g.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
|> I am curious why nobody from Sun is here defending their honor.
|> Yoo Hoo!  Anybody home at Sun?  Anybody wanna defend their sendmail
|> configuration there?
|
|Sure, we are home, but only have time to deal with Usenet flames about
|Unfortunately your claim that "all rewriting of From: lines is wrong"
|is not correct unless EVERYONE is doing UUCP routing.  For example,
|consider:
|
|	siteA --uucp--> sun --uucp--> siteB
|
|The From: line starts out as "From: siteA!user", and we rewrite it
|as "From: siteA!user@Sun.COM", which then gets rewritten going out
|as "From: sun!siteA!user".  The flamers are saying this is "RUDE".
|But if we did NOT do it, then when the recipient at siteB replied
|to the message, it would fail unless siteB were running UUCP routing
|software.  Since the standard UUCP software from AT&T (AND BERKELEY!!)
|DOES NOT support UUCP routing, this is usually not the case.  Thus we
|try to be conservative, so that the recipient can reply if they do
|UUCP routing or not. Since almost all of our mail is either directly
|to us, or relayed through one hop, or relayed from all machines
|that rewrite the header (i.e. standard Sun-issue software), we chose
|to have a policy that causes these paths to generate replyable headers.
The From_ line behaviour is exactly what he is describing.  Unfortunately,
applying From_ line behaviour to From: lines mess things up badly.

|As you discovered, if you are NOT a direct UUCP neighbor of Sun,
|but instead relay through a site that does NOT rewrite, e.g.:
|
|	siteA --uucp--> siteB --uucp--> sun --Internet--> siteC
|
|Then our scheme breaks down.  My response is that "siteB" is at fault,
|since it did not rewrite the From: line as "siteB!siteA!user".  If it
No, but it most likely rewrote the From_ line as siteB!siteA!user.  I have
yet to see a host that improperly rewrote (or didn't rewrite) the From_
line.

The From_ line *should* have an accurate indication of the path the message
took and how to get back where it came from, unless it goes through a host
like psuvax1 which breaks the From_ line.

By the From_ line I mean the line that says

From wcf (date) remote from psuhcx

  Bill
--
    Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner     |
   Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                      |        This space

jsol@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jon Solomon) (08/12/88)

I just want to put my two cents worth into this discussion. In the current
internet (little "i" internet means everybody, Capital "I" Internet means
DARPA blessed sites), we cannot reasonably satisfy everyone's complaints
about mail header munging.

About the only thing that is agreed upon is that some mailers have to
rewrite headers or they get into some form of trouble. The most responsible
thing you can do is to minimize the trouble.

A user of mine got a message from a site: texfoo.crl (I'm paraphrasing, I don't
remember the exact site). Clearly the people on this site prefer to hide the
domain system from their users, but they neglect to add the appropriate
finishing touches (.com, tektronix.com or whatever is right -- I don't know,
all I could do is give my user a guess at what I thought it was).

Like Bill Nowicki, my site sends out alot of mail every day. Most of
it goes to either Internet (large I Internet) or BITNET sites. We have
rewriting rules which make this task easy. Also, no header rewriting needs
to be done.

We have sites on campus which use uucp, but they conform to the domain system
addressing scheme and that makes our rewriting lives easier (we don't have to
in their case).

As more and more uucp sites come up, and their interdependencies with Internet
sites increases, the need for a common naming scheme will be ever-increasing.

BUT UNLESS WE ACTUALLY MAKE A CERTAIN NAMING SCHEME LAW WITH ITS APPROPRIATE
PROTECTIONS, we have no way of truly enforcing the rules.

SO, sendmail rewriters do the best they can.

Without legal precidence for naming schemes, we will not be able to
fully police the network. Flaming and peer pressure do help, but they
are not the complete answer. Only laws and lawyers will really help
this sort of thing.

Personally, I think Sun is doing a great job forwarding mail. They
seem to look at the world from the view that I share, which is that
the Internet is the center of the world, and uucp has to eventually
conform or be ousted.

Think of what chaos there would be if the Internet adopted
"bang-style" routing (that is ucbvax.berkeley.edu!bu-it.bu.edu!jsol).
The Internet tries to make routing work through the use of domains,
and not through the use of address munging. I think the powers that
be on the Internet consider header munging a bad idea (I agree).

On the other hand, the uucp sites would cry murder if we failed to
add "buita!" before the headers we pass to them. They already face
a number of problems with address resolution because they aren't
a connected-all-the-time network.

There is also some rule that says we can't tell others how to do their
own internal routing and name resolution. We just have to be sure that
they follow the protocol.

Which brings up a point, is there an rfc covering how routing should be
done in the UUCP world? If not then I think there should be. Flaming at
Sun without an RFC to point at is like flaming at the devil. It just
won't help.

--jsol