[comp.mail.headers] Eliot Lear's final words aren't about this problem

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/13/88)

The folks at Rutgers seem intent on making us all work harder -- these obscene
message-id's they generate keep making RN blow up.  Yes, I know I can fix my
software, but why is it always Rutgers that makes things stretch to their
breaking point?  Sigh.  Not my topic, please ignore.

In article <Aug.11.20.43.05.1988.26993@NET.BIO.NET>
					lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
# My final words on the subject....
#
#         Note:  The use of source routing is discouraged.   Unless  the
#                sender has special need of path restriction, the choice
#                of transmission route should be left to the mail  tran-
#                sport service.
#
# [RFC-822: Section 6.7.2, Page 32]

Eliot,

The person you need to yell at for this offense is Dave Taylor.  ELM is the
only user agent I know of that has an option for automatic source routing.
Perhaps you can tell at Dan Heller, MUSH has everything else, it probably
has this too.

But you aren't addressing my complaint.

My mail transport software (sendmail) is selecting a source route.  Your
mail transport software (who knows?) is overriding it.

And note "unless the sender has special need of path restriction" -- this
means that if the sender has some reason to select a certain source route,
the mail transport software should respect that choice.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

taylor@hplabs.hp.com (Dave Taylor) (08/18/88)

Paul Vixie replies to a comment of Eliot Lear with:

> The person you need to yell at for this offense is Dave Taylor.  ELM is the
> only user agent I know of that has an option for automatic source routing.

Yo!  Vixie!  Yer wrong, mon!

The gig here is that software should be concerned with the *user*
not the *specification* or the *machine*.  Elm (not ELM) has the
builtin hooks to pathalias and the domain rewrite database because
it's something that *users need* (caveat: most sites can rephrase
that as `needed' instead, but there are still leaf Unix nodes on
the periphery...).

I don't know, this is a pretty serious issue, actually.

I guess we're just disagreeing on some fundamental issues
here, that of the system modifying its behaviour to match
the needs and expectations of the user, or vice versa.

The counter-example, one that happens with `lower level
routing', is that you send mail to a host and accidentally
mistype the hostname.  You have to wait for your system to
choke on it and return it as a dead letter before you are
notified something is wrong.

That's wrong.

In the same way, sendmail is *not* the right place to have
personal aliases -- if I want to be able to send mail to
"vixie" from my computer, I should *not* have an alias in
the /usr/lib/aliases file "vixie:vixie@DEC". That's too
far down, and too late for the cognitive process of composing
and sending a message.  I want to know IMMEDIATELY that if
I type in 'vixe' instead, it's wrong.

Comments?
						-- Dave Taylor

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/23/88)

Dave Taylor felt misused when I said:

# > The person you need to yell at for this offense is Dave Taylor.  ELM is the
# > only user agent I know of that has an option for automatic source routing.
#
# Yo!  Vixie!  Yer wrong, mon!

Hey, like, you're right.  I rather like ELM's source-routing and aliasing
features; they're cute, harmless, and occasionally very helpful.

I brought up ELM because Eliot seemed confused about what we were talking
about -- if he really was upset about source routing in user agents, the
thing to yell about is ELM, not Smail.  I think he got the point.

Sorry to rope you into this.  I really don't mind this feature of ELM.

But as long as we're talking about where user-name aliasing should go, I
agree that there should be a way to do it in the user agent, but I like
having it available in the MTA as well -- .forward files are a pain when
someone leaves the host and you don't want to keep their account online.
--

tron@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Ronald S. Karr) (08/25/88)

In article <432@hptsug2.HP.COM> taylor@hplabs.hp.com (Dave Taylor) writes:
 >The gig here is that software should be concerned with the *user*
 >not the *specification* or the *machine*.  Elm (not ELM) has the
 >builtin hooks to pathalias and the domain rewrite database because
 >it's something that *users need* (caveat: most sites can rephrase
 >that as `needed' instead, but there are still leaf Unix nodes on
 >the periphery...).

 >The counter-example, one that happens with `lower level
 >routing', is that you send mail to a host and accidentally
 >mistype the hostname.  You have to wait for your system to
 >choke on it and return it as a dead letter before you are
 >notified something is wrong.

Hey, man.  Like, my Sun, it don't even have much of an alias file, or a
path database.  It just goes and sends everything it gets off to some
other host (over UUCP).  ELM aint ever going to get no verification out
of that.

But more seriously, the mailer we are using at amdahl has multiple
path databases, an alias file, a mailing-list directory (which is not
tied to the aliases file), and some other features that neither ELM
nor any other UA knows about.  If you want to verify addresses in
the UA, why don't you just ask the MTA?  This will work in sendmail.
It will also work with Smail3 (still in alpha release, sorry :-).
Just connect to the mailer and engage in an interactive SMTP dialog
with it.  The VRFY command should work nicely.

If you can connect to an existing mailer process (over a socket, or
over a named pipe), then the response time for requests is generally
good, and you do not have to worry about which MTA is being used.

Of course, if you can't query your MTA for valid addresses, there is
not much you can do except emulate what the MTA will do.  But them's
the breaks.

Some other interesting problems are that MTA's should not be designed
with synchronous behavior being a requirement.  If Smail3 can't
route an address because a lock file is being held for an extended
time period, or because a remote host with routing information is
down, or whatever, it tries again later.  In response to an SMTP
VRFY operation, it will return a non-fatal error code indicating
a temporary failure.  A User Agent would have to be prepaired to
handle these problems.

The upshot of this is that a User Agent should be concerned with the
*user* and the Mail Transfer Agent should be concerned with *mail*, and
the *specification* and the *machine*.  As long as there exists more
than one UA on a system, or as long as alias and path information can
be used by remote hosts, the system alias and routing databases should
be in the MTA.  It is reaonable for a UA to ask the opinion of the MTA,
it is counterproductive for a UA to do the work of the MTA.
--
	tron	|-<=>-|		ARPAnet:  amdahl!tron@Sun.COM
      tron@uts.amdahl.com	UUCPnet:  {decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!tron