[comp.mail.headers] Mail header wishlist

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (12/01/88)

[ I've added comp.mail.headers and directed followups there since this thread
  seems to be moving in that direction.  -- Tim]

The Options: header is a good idea.  How about a Bounced-By: header, to make
it clear to mailing list repeaters that this mail shouldn't be broadcast to
the list?  It could include the reason the mail was bounced.

--
Timothy Ramsey, USENET Keeper-Upper
BITNET: tar@KSUVAX1

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (12/01/88)

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:
   The Options: header is a good idea.  How about a Bounced-By: header, to make
   it clear to mailing list repeaters that this mail shouldn't be broadcast to
   the list?  It could include the reason the mail was bounced.

That would be unnecessary if mailing lists would all make sure that,
when distributing out to the list's recipients, an Errors-To:
listname-request@listname-host-machine header were included.  Then
bounces would go to the admin only, and nowhere else.  Also, it helps
to have the From_ line indicate listname-request@listname-host-machine
to keep vacation(1) happily silent.

--Karl

kjones@talos.UUCP (Kyle Jones) (12/02/88)

In <KARL.88Dec1100418@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu> Karl Kleinpaste writes:
[concerning Bounced-By: header]
>That would be unnecessary if mailing lists would all make sure that,
>when distributing out to the list's recipients, an Errors-To:
>listname-request@listname-host-machine header were included.

This works only if everyone runs a mailer that supports this header.
There is no mention of Errors-To: in RFC822.  Sendmail claims to
support this header, but smail (2.5) certainly does not.  I say
'claims' because I recently had a mailing list that I run flooded with
returned mail from a host running sendmail.  An Errors-To: line was
present in the message in question.

For my money, the right way to avoid bounced mail hitting an entire
mailing list is to make the From: header say <list-name>-request
instead of <list-name>.  This means that recipients must edit the To:
line if they want to reply to the list, but that's a small price to pay.

kyle jones   <kjones@talos.UUCP>   ...!uunet!talos!kjones

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (12/04/88)

In article <359@talos.UUCP> kjones@talos.UUCP (Kyle Jones) writes:
>In <KARL.88Dec1100418@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu> Karl Kleinpaste writes:
>[concerning Bounced-By: header]
>>That would be unnecessary if mailing lists would all make sure that,
>>when distributing out to the list's recipients, an Errors-To:
>>listname-request@listname-host-machine header were included.
>  An Errors-To: line was
>present in the message in question.
>
>For my money, the right way to avoid bounced mail hitting an entire
>mailing list is to make the From: header say <list-name>-request
>instead of <list-name>.  This means that recipients must edit the To:
>line if they want to reply to the list, but that's a small price to pay.

No no no no ...

The *right* way to do this is to change the out-of-band return
address to be <list-name>-request@list-host.domain.  I think this
is even documented in an RFC somewhere, but is certainly the
preferred practice on the Internet.  And the main offenders are
mailing lists run at sites running SendMail.

On the internet the out-of-band information is carried as part of
the SMTP conversations in the MAIL FROM:<> and RCPT TO:<> lines.
In BITNET there isn't any good place to carry the information
unless you're using BSMTP, and this is one of the reasons why
BITNET should be converting to BSMTP.  In UUCP, this information
is carried in two places, the TO information is carried along as
arguments to rmail and the FROM information is carried along
in the "From<space>" line.  Most rmail's allow only one argument,
which ends up requiring physically seperate messages be sent out
for each person on the mailing list.

This is one of the things which MMDF does right.  Part of the
package is the List Channel.  It accepts messages meant for
a mailing list and

	expands the TO portion of the out-of-band information
		to be all the people on the list.
	if <list-name>-request exists as an alias in the system,
		changes the out-of-band FROM information to
		reflect this.
	resubmits the message to the system.  (no header munging)

A similar program would be easy to do to run under sendmail.
Part of how this happens in MMDF is that you have a sequence
of aliases like:

	<list>:		<list>-outgoing@list-processor
	<list>-outgoing: :include:/file
	<list>-request:	joe-blow

In other words, you have to set up a pseudo-host so that you can
direct mail to it.
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (12/07/88)

Karl Kleinpaste writes:
> [include] Errors-To:

the Errors-To: address IN ADDITION to the From: address.

You should use Sender: as per rfc822.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.

marvit@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Peter Marvit) (12/07/88)

To prevent massive repostings to a distribution list, I use the addres form
(described in RFC-822):

	To: NiceName-of-List: real-address@host, address-alias;

I also include a

	From: List-request@myhost

as well as the usual X-Errors-to and anything else I can think of.

The above addressing convention works well for small mailing lists as well
(inside an organization).

	-Peter marvit
 	HP Labs

mike@turing.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (12/07/88)

In article <359@talos.UUCP> kjones@talos.UUCP (Kyle Jones) writes:

   In <KARL.88Dec1100418@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu> Karl Kleinpaste writes:
   [concerning Bounced-By: header]
   >That would be unnecessary if mailing lists would all make sure that,
   >when distributing out to the list's recipients, an Errors-To:
   >listname-request@listname-host-machine header were included.

   This works only if everyone runs a mailer that supports this header.
   There is no mention of Errors-To: in RFC822.  Sendmail claims to
   support this header, but smail (2.5) certainly does not.  I say
   'claims' because I recently had a mailing list that I run flooded with
   returned mail from a host running sendmail.  An Errors-To: line was
   present in the message in question.

Hmmm...It appears I (who said the same thing as Karl) that you are
correct.  On the other hand, the Sender: field is unquestionable the
proper location for errors to be sent.

   For my money, the right way to avoid bounced mail hitting an entire
   mailing list is to make the From: header say <list-name>-request
   instead of <list-name>.  This means that recipients must edit the To:
   line if they want to reply to the list, but that's a small price to pay.

Hmmmm...yeah.  But then I suspect you will have to manually forward
lots of postings from users who didn't manually edit the To: line.

The best way is for mail addressed like so:

From: Joe.User@my.machine

to be transformed by foo.bar.bax when it resends the mail into

From: Joe.User@my.machine

The mail should be delivered using the Resent-* headers in preference
to the originals...according to the RFC.  How much you wanna bet that
smail and sendmail both don't actually do this right...:-)

The best defacto solution is probably to have the mail set to
individual list subscribers be addressed

To: mailinlist@foo.bar.bax
From: Joe.User@my.machine

If you want the from line changed, then go ahead--but you are asking
to be filled with pain if you don't fix the Reply-To: line...

--
Michael I. Bushnell         \  	  This above all; to thine own self be true
HASA - "A" division   GIG!   \    And it must follow, as the night the day,