[comp.mail.headers] administration fascism

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (01/28/89)

leres@helios.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) writes:

>Richard Childers writes:

>> When I find .forward files in the LAN ... I cat /dev/null into them and
chown them to root and chmod the sucker to 444 and that's that.

>This sounds gratuitously fascist to me. Luckly, it's not hard to remove
>such a file ...

But it is impossible to edit it until it is removed, and provokes the required
dialogue between user and administrator ... which is all I ask.

>The advanced reader might want to use "rm -f .forward"

One presumes that the advanced reader doesn't mangle his .forward ...

Actually, I have been at enlightened sites where /usr/lib/aliases was writeable
by the world. But if you can't trust your users to edit /usr/lib/aliases, then
you probably can't trust them to edit .forward, either.

>		Craig

-- richard

--
 *                    -= If it works, it must be a Fluke =-                   *
 *                                                                            *

mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (02/01/89)

In article <445@avsd.UUCP> childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:

>One presumes that the advanced reader doesn't mangle his .forward ...
>
>Actually, I have been at enlightened sites where /usr/lib/aliases was writeable
>by the world. But if you can't trust your users to edit /usr/lib/aliases, then
>you probably can't trust them to edit .forward, either.

Hmmm...I disagree.  We are an "enlightened" site which lets people edit
/usr/lib/aliases.  If someone f*cks up, then we have the simple solution
of asking "who changed the XXX alias to YYY?" and then we can explain to
them the necessity of being more careful in the future.

But if we decided that people were not trustable, then there is a hell of
a difference between mangling your OWN .forward (which only screws up your
own mail) and mangling /usr/lib/aliases (which can steal other peoples' mail,
break vital mailing lists, etc.).

In short, it may be quite rational to protect users from eachother (by
protecting /usr/lib/aliases), but it IS facism to "protect" people from
themselves.
  Michael I. Bushnell       \     This above all; to thine own self be true
         GIG!                \    And it must follow, as the night the day,
mike@turing.cs..unm.edu      /\   Thou canst not be false to any man.
  Hmmmm..............       /  \  Farewell:  my blessing season this in thee!

leres@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) (02/01/89)

More recently Richard Childers writes:
> But it is impossible to edit it until it is removed, and provokes the required
> dialogue between user and administrator ... which is all I ask.

When one of my users botches his/her .forward file (this is a rare
event, perhaps my users are smarter than yours) I find that mail(1)
provides an interface that is completely sufficient to "provoke"
dialogue with the user. Not once have I had to play power games with
superuser privileges to achieve this goal.

		Craig

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/01/89)

In article <2253@unmvax.unm.edu>, mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
> Hmmm...I disagree.  We are an "enlightened" site which lets people edit
> /usr/lib/aliases.  If someone f*cks up, then we have the simple solution
> of asking "who changed the XXX alias to YYY?" and then we can explain to
> them the necessity of being more careful in the future.

Thus the cost of providing the flexibility of letting people edit
/usr/lib/aliases is that, when they screw up, mail screws up -- sometimes
a little, sometimes a lot.  I don't know if I would call this policy
"enlightened."  I would say it balances things a little more toward
ease-of-use at the cost of reducing reliability.  Why do they need to
edit /usr/lib/aliaes anyway?  How often does this happen?
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "We've been following your progress with considerable
-- karl@sugar.uu.net |  interest, not to say contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (02/02/89)

>But it is impossible to edit it until it is removed, and provokes the required
>dialogue between user and administrator ... which is all I ask.

Maybe yes, maybe no; they may just get ticked off, as I presume Mr.
Leres would (and as I probably would, too), and just remove it without
talking to the administrator.

>Actually, I have been at enlightened sites where /usr/lib/aliases was writeable
>by the world. But if you can't trust your users to edit /usr/lib/aliases, then
>you probably can't trust them to edit .forward, either.

Incorrect.  You can screw more people by monkeying with
"/usr/lib/aliases" than you can by editing ".forward"; by editing the
former you can foul up the delivery of mail to people other than
yourself without their consent.

mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (02/02/89)

In article <3376@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>In article <2253@unmvax.unm.edu>, mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
>> Hmmm...I disagree.  We are an "enlightened" site which lets people edit
>> /usr/lib/aliases.  If someone f*cks up, then we have the simple solution
>> of asking "who changed the XXX alias to YYY?" and then we can explain to
>> them the necessity of being more careful in the future.
>
>Thus the cost of providing the flexibility of letting people edit
>/usr/lib/aliases is that, when they screw up, mail screws up -- sometimes
>a little, sometimes a lot.  I don't know if I would call this policy
>"enlightened."  I would say it balances things a little more toward
>ease-of-use at the cost of reducing reliability.  Why do they need to
>edit /usr/lib/aliaes anyway?  How often does this happen?

They (the faculty) maintain several mail aliases for various groups.
They even *create* such aliases relatively frequently.  No one's
*ever* screwed up anyone else's mail.  This makes creating mailing
lists easy for arbitrary users.

dik@uva.UUCP (Casper H.S. Dik) (02/03/89)

In article <2253@unmvax.unm.edu> mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
>In article <445@avsd.UUCP> childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
>
>>Actually, I have been at enlightened sites where /usr/lib/aliases was writeable
>>by the world. But if you can't trust your users to edit /usr/lib/aliases, then
>>you probably can't trust them to edit .forward, either.
>

>Hmmm...I disagree.  We are an "enlightened" site which lets people edit
>/usr/lib/aliases.  If someone f*cks up, then we have the simple solution
>of asking "who changed the XXX alias to YYY?" and then we can explain to
>them the necessity of being more careful in the future.

Hmmm... you must trust your users very much.
People can not only steal other peoples mail, but can add an alias like
myalias: |/myhome/myprogram

The program /myhome/myprogram will be executed with the uid sendmail uses
for untrusted mailers. If it is daemon (it is on my systems) the user
could then 'do some things I will not disclose here' and become root
in a matter of minutes.

At that point he can do more damage to your system than you can repair
in the time saved by letting your users edit /usr/lib/aliases.

>In short, it may be quite rational to protect users from eachother (by
>protecting /usr/lib/aliases), but it IS facism to "protect" people from
>themselves.

Agreed

>  Michael I. Bushnell       \     This above all; to thine own self be true
>         GIG!                \    And it must follow, as the night the day,
>mike@turing.cs..unm.edu      /\   Thou canst not be false to any man.
>  Hmmmm..............       /  \  Farewell:  my blessing season this in thee!

Casper H.S. Dik
University of Amsterdam     |		      dik@uva.uucp
The Netherlands             |                 ...!uunet!mcvax!uva!dik

mike@turing.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (02/05/89)

In article <608@uva.UUCP> dik@uva.UUCP (Casper H.S. Dik) writes:

>Hmmm... you must trust your users very much.
>People can not only steal other peoples mail, but can add an alias like
>myalias: |/myhome/myprogram

Our goal for security is to prevent users from doing accidental
damage.  We can restore the system from tape in a matter of
hours--with little loss of data.  The offending person is easily
determined, and we can easily use administrative means to can them.

>The program /myhome/myprogram will be executed with the uid sendmail uses
>for untrusted mailers. If it is daemon (it is on my systems) the user
>could then 'do some things I will not disclose here' and become root
>in a matter of minutes.

In the interests of letting people know what we mean, you could, for
example, modify the atq and have jobs executed as root.  The atq is,
on most systems, owned by daemon, so daemon can modify it and have
jobs run under any uid.

>At that point he can do more damage to your system than you can repair
>in the time saved by letting your users edit /usr/lib/aliases.

As I said, not too much damage.  We don't worry.  Administrative
control is far better than online security.

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (02/07/89)

dik@uva.UUCP (Casper H.S. Dik) writes:

>mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:

>>In short, it may be quite rational to protect users from eachother (by
>>protecting /usr/lib/aliases), but it IS facism to "protect" people from
>>themselves.

>Agreed

I beg to disagree, gentlebeings. I am not intent on 'protecting users from
each other' when I forbid ~{user}/.forward files ... I am protecting myself.

It's not a matter of facism. It's a matter of functionality. I have a mandate,
as it were, to maintain the mail subsystem. I also have an unofficial mandate
to order my tasks in such a way as to avoid wasting my time. Reading mail to
'root' from 'MAILER-DAEMON', time after time, is a waste of my time. I know
what the problem is, I know there is no way I'll ever be able to educate the
entire user community, there's always someone browsing the manual - and that,
in itself, is a blessing of sorts, since they aren't asking me - so I created
a solution, the simplest, cheapest solution I could think of. It works.

The meter for determining if the mailer subsystem works, is whether you get
any mail from users or MAILER-DAEMON complaining. That's the only meter that
really counts. I'm not interfering in anyone's productivity, I'm keeping them
from impinging on mine.

You may call it administrative fascism ... but I think of it as facilitating
things, overall ... maintaining functionality, at the cost of an occasional
damaged ego, perhaps, but maintaining functionality. One person objects, but
they are inevitably a minority. Is this fascism ?

>>  Michael I. Bushnell       \     This above all; to thine own self be true
>>         GIG!                \    And it must follow, as the night the day,
>>mike@turing.cs..unm.edu      /\   Thou canst not be false to any man.
>>  Hmmmm..............       /  \  Farewell:  my blessing season this in thee!

-- richard

--
 *       "Do not look at my outward shape, but take what is in my hand."      *
 *                            -- Jalaludin Rumi, 1107-1173                    *
 *      ..{amdahl|decwrl|octopus|pyramid|ucbvax}!avsd.UUCP!childers@tycho     *
 *          AMPEX Corporation - Audio-Visual Systems Division, R & D          *

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (02/07/89)

comp.mail.headers, right?  Yeah, I thought so.  There *is* a
comp.mail.misc, folks.

leres@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) (02/08/89)

Karl Kleinpaste writes:
> comp.mail.headers, right?  Yeah, I thought so.  There *is* a
> comp.mail.misc, folks.

Why so uptight, Karl? Too much caffeine?

		Craig