[comp.mail.headers] simple encryption in mail

wyle@solaris.UUCP (Mitchell Wyle) (01/19/89)

I am in need of a simple encryption scheme for mail messages which can
be used by many different mail readers.  I'd prefer if it could work
with mh, mailx, /usr/ucb/Mail, mm, and mush.  A simple "pager" such as
more with encryption built-in might do the trick.

A mail administrator (Hi Hannes!) here reads my mail as it goes out,
and I assume he reads mail when it arrives as well.  Please flame him
at: lubich%komsys.inf.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net or lubich@ethz.uucp.

There are some standards coming in this regard, but I'd prefer something
I can use now.  Thanks,  -Mitch (wyle@ethz.uucp)
--
-Mitchell F. Wyle                         wyle@ethz.uucp
Institut fuer Informationsysteme          wyle@inf.ethz.ch

MICHAEL@MAINE (01/23/89)

I can't quite tell where you are located, but if it is inside the USA then your
mail administrator should know that by reading your mail as it comes and goes
he is (unless he can reasonably cite system security, which I doubt) breaking
the law. There is a law in this country (PL99-508, "The Electronic
Communications Privacy Act of 1986") that specifically prohibits intercepting
and reading of electronic mail and other forms of electronic communication.
You could probably sue him and win on the grounds of privacy invasion.

Secondly, a good simple encryption scheme is ROT-13, but it does not require
a key, so your administrator could also decrypt your stuff, assuming he reads
this and wants to continue his illegal activity. Just rotate each alphabetic
letter through the alphabet 13 positions. Thus, 'A' becomes 'N' and 'Z' becomes
'M', etc. To reverse it, simply do the same rotation again and things go back
to their previous state.

Hope this helps you.

Michael Johnson                           "We are the Priests of the Temples
University of Maine System                 of Syrinx. Our great computers fill
Computing and Data Processing Services     the hallowed halls." - Neil Peart

steve@raspail.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) (01/25/89)

In article <1119MICHAEL@MAINE>, MICHAEL@MAINE writes:
> I can't quite tell where you are located, but if it is inside the USA then
> your mail administrator should know that by reading your mail as it comes
> and goes he is (unless he can reasonably cite system security, which I doubt)
> breaking the law. There is a law in this country (PL99-508, "The Electronic
> Communications Privacy Act of 1986") that specifically prohibits intercepting
> and reading of electronic mail and other forms of electronic communication.

This is not correct.  Any place that provides mail may choose whether to be
follow this law or not.  The law is that a mail provider must do everything
possible to ensure the privacy of communications if they say their mail is
private.  By saying their mail is private, they bring themselves under the
same body of law that keeps the Post Office and telephone companies from
inspecting communications that they pass.

The advantage of this to a mail provider is that having the provider legally
bound to be secure is a good selling point, because people like secure mail.
The disadvantage is that they are liable for criminal (not just civil)
penalties if they breach that privacy, and possibly civil penalties if someone
outside their organization invades their privacy through flaws in their
security.

If someone is unable to provide communication security comparable to a
telephone conversation (the case with _all_ mail going through the net),
doesn't want to bother making it that secure (the case within most sites),
or just doesn't want to put themselves at legal risk, they can state that
their system is not guaranteed secure, at which point they can do whatever
they feel like to their mail.

A lot of local bulletin board systems I use have statements saying that it is
not their policy to read or alter mail, but that they refuse to guarantee that
it is secure.  By saying this they free themselves of any legal responsibility
connected with that law.

I do not know what that law says about the default case.  In other words, I
am not sure if a mail provider is assumed to guarantee privacy if they don't
specifically disclaim it, or if they are assumed to disclaim it unless they
specifically guarantee it.  I'd be curious to know, if anyone can provide a
direct quote of the law on that matter.

To bring this all back to the topic of this newsgroup, I think that the only
way you can expect mail to be private, legal guarantees or not, is to encrypt
it.  A standard mail header to indicate encryption would be a good thing,
though the message looking like garbage data accomplishes the same thing.

	Steve Schonberger
	steve@raspail.uucp	raspail!steve@shamash.cdc.com
	...!uunet!rosevax!shamash!rapail!steve

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (01/27/89)

In article <1178@raspail.UUCP>, steve@raspail.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) writes:
> In article <1119MICHAEL@MAINE>, MICHAEL@MAINE writes:
>> [in article <508@solaris.UUCP>  wyle@solaris.UUCP (Mitchell Wyle) writes:]
>> [looking for a simple encrypton method because his mail is watched]
>
>  [lengthy discussion about legal aspects of the SA's rights & wrongs
>           regarding interception and perusal of private mail DELETED]

Ok, this poor fellow asks for a simple way to protect his private e-mail,
and what does he get?  A meta-discussion on legalities.  Well, here is
my suggestion for implementing the simple encryption in a UNIX environment:

The sender:

 % crypt < msg.txt > cypher               (use previously agreed-upon key)
 % uuencode cypher < cypher > cypher.uu
 % mail whoever@wherever -s crypted_message < cypher.uu

The recipient:

 % mail                      (receive mail, save in appropriate file)
 % uudecode cypher.uu
 % crypt < cypher > msg.txt    (must have same key as sender)
 % more msg.txt

Simple enough?  Of course, you'll have to communicate the crypt key by
some other means in advance.

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

krueger@ndmath.UUCP (Andreas Krueger) (01/28/89)

In article <1073@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:

 >In article <1178@raspail.UUCP>, steve@raspail.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) writes:
 > >In article <1119MICHAEL@MAINE>, MICHAEL@MAINE writes:
 > >> [in article <508@solaris.UUCP>  wyle@solaris.UUCP (Mitchell Wyle) writes:]
 > >> [looking for a simple encrypton method because his mail is watched]
 > >
 > >  [lengthy discussion about legal aspects of the SA's rights & wrongs
 > >           regarding interception and perusal of private mail DELETED]
 >
 > Ok, this poor fellow asks for a simple way to protect his private e-mail,
 > and what does he get?  A meta-discussion on legalities.  Well, here is
 > my suggestion for implementing the simple encryption in a UNIX environment:
 >
 > [A few lines of commands using "crypt" which would do the job]

Unfortunately, legal aspects aren't quite over if this poor
fellow is not in the US, for (quote from man crypt):

 > RESTRICTIONS
 >      This program is not available on  software  shipped  outside
 >      the U.S.

krueger@ndmath.math.nd.edu
(* Disclaimer: Restrictions quoted herein are not my own *)

tli@sargas.usc.edu (Tony Li) (01/29/89)

Crypt isn't the best thing to use.  There's a package called Crypt
Breakers Workbench that has been posted which is quite useful when
trying to break a crypt'ed file.

Tony Li - USC University Computing Services - Dain Bramaged.
Uucp: oberon!tli
Bitnet: tli@kylara, tli@ramoth
Internet: tli@sargas.usc.edu

prc@maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) (02/05/89)

In article <1298@ndmath.UUCP>, krueger@ndmath.UUCP (Andreas Krueger) writes:

> Unfortunately, legal aspects aren't quite over if this poor
> fellow is not in the US, for (quote from man crypt):
>
>  > RESTRICTIONS
>  >      This program is not available on  software  shipped  outside
>  >      the U.S.

So let's  use DES instead. Even though not included in the export versions
of UNIX, it's  universally available and the algorithms are  well-known.
One can even use it to send mail to Russia :-).
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
"No problems." -- Alf

zap@front.se (Svante Lindahl) (02/09/89)

In article <485@maxim.ERBE.SE>, prc@maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) writes:
# In article <1298@ndmath.UUCP>, krueger@ndmath.UUCP (Andreas Krueger) writes:
[ crypt is no good 'cause: ]
# >  > RESTRICTIONS
# >  >      This program is not available on  software  shipped  outside
# >  >      the U.S.

# So let's  use DES instead. Even though not included in the export versions
# of UNIX, it's  universally available and the algorithms are  well-known.

Yes, definitely available:
In volume 10 of comp.sources.unix (summer '87):
des		DES encryption routines and a login front-end
In volume 7 of comp.sources.unix (fall '86):
des		Purported DES program in C

Also available in volume 10:
cbw		(5 parts) Crypt Breaker's Workbench

--
Svante