[comp.mail.headers] DEC Mail-11 & headers

davis@mtgzz.att.com (p.a.davis) (07/03/89)

Are there any opinions, informed or otherwise, concerning DEC's
Mail-11 protocol and its refusal to handle non-VMSmail headers ?
I find it infuriating to have mail with a reply-to routed through
a VAX running a Mail-11 gateway system, only to hear from the
recipient that the reply-to has been "excised" from the header,
and now, as far as RFC???-compliant mailers are concerned, is
actually part of the message ? Does anyone know if DEC plan to
do anything about this appallingly parochial approach before X.400 ?

Paul Davis

Internet: davis@mtgzz.att.com 		Bitnet: bartonb@duvm
Voice1: 201-957-5569 (day) 		Voice2: 215-981-0614 (night)

"All opinions are my own, which may or may not increase their value."

"To shatter tradition makes us feel free,
    But tradition is a static defence
	against a chaotic community ... "    Annette Peacock, 1981

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (07/04/89)

DEC will never "fix" the Mail-11 protocol.  It is not too far from the
truth to say that Mail-11 is braindamaged on purpose -- DEC's attitude
is that if you want "real" mail, you buy Mailbus products.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

moore@CYGNUSX1.CS.UTK.EDU (Keith Moore) (07/05/89)

In article <5217@mtgzz.att.com> davis@mtgzz.UUCP (p.a.davis) writes:
>Are there any opinions, informed or otherwise, concerning DEC's
>Mail-11 protocol and its refusal to handle non-VMSmail headers ?

Mail-11 and VMS MAIL are toys.

It's a royal pain to have to translate from MAIL-11 to "real" mail
protocols, but this is because VMS MAIL was never designed to talk
to anything but other VMS MAIL (or very similar) programs.

>I find it infuriating to have mail with a reply-to routed through
>a VAX running a Mail-11 gateway system, only to hear from the
>recipient that the reply-to has been "excised" from the header,
>and now, as far as RFC???-compliant mailers are concerned, is
>actually part of the message ?

Some SMTP-to-MAIL-11 gateway programs scan the RFC822 headers to
determine the "best" reply-to address, and insert that address in
the MAIL-11 "From" line, so replies go to the correct addresss.
(PMDF does this, and so does my mail-11 gateway for UNIX systems.)

>Does anyone know if DEC plan to
>do anything about this appallingly parochial approach before X.400 ?

I'm sure your DEC customer relations person will tell you that they
have done something about the problem, and it's called "Mailbus".
--
Keith Moore			Internet: moore@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore@utkvx