[comp.emacs] GNU-emacs on Sun or Iris

MANSFIEL@EMBL.BITNET (Niall Mansfield) (11/11/86)

We are looking at purchasing Un*x workstations, and the
likely choices are Suns (plural) or Iris (singular). We are
already using GNU emacs on VMS, and it would be very nice to
have the same editor all over (with uEmacs on Macintoshes
just to be complete).

1. Is there a version of GNU for
   (a) Sun?
   (b) Iris?

2. If so, how well do they integrate into the software
   development environment, how are windows handled, can the
   mouse be used, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Niall

kjl@BBN-PINEAPPLE.ARPA (Ken Lebowitz) (11/12/86)

Hi,

Out of curiousity, are you happy the GNU Emacs version for VMS?  Which
version are you using?  How hard was it to bring up on VMS?  We have
been running GNU Emacs on our Suns (2's and 3's) with great success.

Thanks,

Ken Lebowitz
BBN Labs
<kjl@pineapple.bbn.com>

billp@elxsi.UUCP (Bill Petro) (11/21/86)

In article <8611112131.AA03525@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MANSFIEL@EMBL.BITNET (Niall Mansfield) writes:

>We are looking at purchasing Un*x workstations, and the
>likely choices are Suns (plural) or Iris (singular). We are
>already using GNU emacs on VMS, and it would be very nice to
>have the same editor all over (with uEmacs on Macintoshes
>just to be complete).
>
>Niall

I am not familiar with the 'uEmacs' for the Macintosh.  I have seen something
called 'microEmacs' but it is not very customizable, ie. you cannot modify the
key bindings.  If you have any information about 'uEmacs' please eMail it
to me.

Bill Petro
 ({ucbvax!sun,altos86,styx}!elxsi!billp)