king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) (11/17/86)

   From: mg@unirot.UUCP (Mike Gallaher)
   Newsgroups: comp.emacs
   Date: 14 Nov 86 20:16:43 GMT

   That message was a (heavily-encoded, sorry, but not sarcastic) response to
   statements such as "Gnuemacs is the best Unix Emacs around".  I certainly
   do pay attention to constructive well-researched comparisons, but these
   were not couched as such, so I interpreted them as being religiously
   motivated.  I don't take them seriously, any more than I am serious myself
   when I say things like "Unipress Emacs is the greatest text editor in the
   solar system" (which it is).  (After working on it for more than two years,
   naturally I think so!)  But for those who don't know better, such comments
   could give Gosling Emacs a poor reputation that I don't think it deserves.
   I want to encourage people to try the choices themselves, and then decide.

We did just that.  At our site (30 people, using editors mostly for
TeX files (and editor customization files :-) )) we made both
available for six months.  At the end of the six months, the
last-reference date on Unipress emacs was three months in the past,
and when it was removed from the system nobody noticed.

This experiment took place in 1985.

   For the record, I am not anti-Gnuemacs; it's got some spiffy things in it,
   although RMS and I will probably never agree on various design issues.

I, for one, would show Unipress EMACS a lot more respect if it had
conses.

As an example, I got annoyed that UNIX doesn't have file version
numbers, so I hacked up version numbering in GNUmacs in 2 hours.  I
then tried to do the same thing in Unipress EMACS, after having had
"practice", and gave up after about 8 hours.

I submit this, neither to be argumentative, nor to "run down"
unipress; I submit this to try to send you a message, stronger than
the one I used to send every couple of months by calling Unipress,
that this one feature is important.  No, we're not going to spend our
days hacking .ml or .el files, but the rare occasions when we notice a
nagging splinter in our sides and want to fix it, certain things are
vital!  Note that I did NOT harangue you for things like the rather
baroque argument passing method.  It is annoying but not fundamental,
and to change it now would obselete code.

Mr. Gallaher, PLEASE GIVE US AN EXTENDED DATA STRUCTURE OF SOME SORT.
Conses would be easier and what we're used to.

(I still use Unipress EMACS for my PC.  Before you respond something
like "see, conses make GNUmacs too bulky" I will point out that the
LISP system I wrote for the PDP-11 devoted only about 2K bytes to
garbage collection, and you could make that swappable.)

   Btw, the GOSDIFFS file in the GnuEmacs distribution (whatever the last
   17.xx was) is out of date, but I think someone besides me should fix it :-).

   Mike Gallaher
   Emacs Hacker Boss
   Unipress Software

Please counterflame to me as well as to the group.

-dick

bandy@lll-crg.aRpA (Andrew Scott Beals) (11/21/86)

In article <14582@kestrel.ARPA> king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) writes:
>[some things in response to Mike Gallaher's notette, among them:]
>(I still use Unipress EMACS for my PC.  Before you respond something
>like "see, conses make GNUmacs too bulky" [...]

No, RMS makes Gnumacs too bulky.  That thing is a *pig*.  Not to
mention that the source code is gigantic.  And that they don't
provide a compress'ed version of the distribution on prep for people
to ftp off, thus doubling the amount of network traffic out of
mit-prep ["But you could login to prep and fix it yourself!"
However, most people don't know that and clog the gateways.]..

Perhaps this is why there is such a problem with the arpanet <->
milnet gateways as of late?

Also, in His great wisdom, RMS decided to bind ^H to be the "Help"
key.  Way back when, during the true emacs days, the help key was
^_.  I don't know if they're listening out there, but there are a
*lot* of people who use ^H to delete the last character typed.  "But
you can rebind that."  People say, however it is a number (five?) of
non-obvious changes to totally rebind things -- my users, Gosmacs
users, couldn't figure it out from the provided documentation.

And let's not mention the maintainability of c-code written with the
help of a bunch funny pre-processor defines that makes it look
something like lisp.  I think of the "baby" in Eraserhead whenever I
look at that code.

The code in Unipress Emacs and in Jove, on the other hand is just
plain beautiful.

	andy
--
Andrew Scott Beals	(member of HASA - A and S divisions)
bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,ptsfa,pyramid}!lll-crg!bandy

gjditchfield@watrose.UUCP (Glen Ditchfield) (11/21/86)

>a *lot* of people who use ^H to delete the last character typed.  "But
>you can rebind that."  People say, however it is a number (five?) of
>non-obvious changes to totally rebind things
>Andrew Scott Beals	(member of HASA - A and S divisions)
>bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,ptsfa,pyramid}!lll-crg!bandy
>LLNL, P.O. Box 808, Mailstop L-419, Livermore CA 94550 (415) 423-1948
I would like to see a list of things to do to rebind ^h.
(I'm a Macintosh owner, so I'd like to rebind ^z, ^x, ^c and ^v, too. You just
can't please some people...)
Glen Ditchfield                      {watmath,utzoo,ihnp4}!watrose!gjditchfield
Dept of Computer Science, U of Waterloo         (519) 885-1211 x6658
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Flame not, lest thou be singed" - Mr. Protocol

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (11/22/86)

bandy@lll-crg.UUCP writes:
>And that they don't
>provide a compress'ed version of the distribution on prep for people
>to ftp off, thus doubling the amount of network traffic out of
>mit-prep ["But you could login to prep and fix it yourself!"
>However, most people don't know that and clog the gateways.]..

False.  The normal file people pick up for distribution is
edist.tar-mm.nn.Z, i.e., it's a compressed version.  The uncompressed
version is there, too, but I doubt anybody bothers when the .Z version
is there.

Lately, it's been available as a file split into 100,000 byte chunks,
so you don't have to keep retrying from ground zero every time the
arpanet chokes with timeouts, "network is unreachable," or "connection
reset by peer."  Rather nice.
--
Karl Kleinpaste