[comp.emacs] GNU Emacs 18.31 available

rms@prep.ai.mit.edu.UUCP (11/24/86)

GNU Emacs 18.31 is now available in the usual place.

The VMS newline problems are believed to be fixed.
The remaining unsolved problems include a failure of unexec
on some kinds of V.2.2 systems (but not on all),
possibly some nonfatal problems with X (one report that
C-g takes effect synchronously under X),
and many things that don't work on VMS because they use
subprocesses on Unix.

The differences from 18.30 are around 200k.

I suspect that something was corrupted in the 18.26 to 18.30 diffs,
or else they are installed incorrectly by patch.  Please do not
propagate Emacs 18.30 distributions that were made by updating from
18.26.  In particular, don't continue updating them.  I suggest that
you get a new full distribution.

minkus@usc-oberon.UUCP (Minkus) (11/27/86)

In article <8611240122.AA22328@EDDIE> rms@prep.ai.mit.edu (Richard M. Stallman) writes:

>GNU Emacs 18.31 is now available in the usual place.

I am new to this newsgroup so would someone please tell me where the

"usual place" is.  Thanks.

asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) (11/30/86)

In article <463@usc-oberon.UUCP>, minkus@usc-oberon.UUCP (Minkus) writes:
> In article <8611240122.AA22328@EDDIE> rms@prep.ai.mit.edu (Richard M. Stallman) writes:
>
> >GNU Emacs 18.31 is now available in the usual place.
>
> I am new to this newsgroup so would someone please tell me where the

Me too.  It is pretty arrogant to force all people to make the same
poor assumptions.  It breeds elitism and does not help to spread the
"philosophy" you are trying to spread.  If you really mean what you say
about free software then you should make some effort to make it more
available than some mysterious thing like "ftp", which requires a physical
link to begin with.  The same goes for magtape.  It creates the horrible
impression that the only people you want to share this "free" software with
must either be DOD/DARPA-only sites, or sites with the $25K magtape unit,
which puts the vast majority of us, although sufficiently knowledgable
about UNIX, into second-class status.

phr@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Rubin) (12/01/86)

In article <184@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:

>...  The same goes for magtape.  It creates the horrible impression
>that the only people you want to share this "free" software with must
>either be DOD/DARPA-only sites, or sites with the $25K magtape unit,
>which puts the vast majority of us, although sufficiently
>knowledgable about UNIX, into second-class status.

Sorry, the Emacs maintainers don't have the resources to be of much
more help to you.  However, here is a message that appeared here some
time ago from some people you might want to get in touch with.

Date: 2 Apr 1986  00:29 EST (Wed)
Sender: "Richard N. Stollmin" <RNS@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU>
From: RNS%MIT-PREP.ARPA@CCC.MIT.EDU
Subject: Sample April Fools message
To: INFO-GNU@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU, RNS%MIT-PREP.KIN@CCC.MIT.EDU,
        INFO-COBOL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU

  Now available from Project Knu is our new FREE Vax-11/780 compatible
computer.
  The Free Hardware Foundation opposes the tyranny of hardware
manufacturers not allowing everyone to have one of their machines for
free.
  With volunteer labor, we have built a machine just like the
VAX-11/780, even down to its nameplate.  Just send us a note,
enclosing a self addressed, stamped shipping crate (extra large) and
we will send you our KNU machine.
  Send your request to:

  Free Hardware Foundation, Inc.
  1E+3 Weight Ave
  Camtunnel, MA 02138

  We will pack it and ship it the same day.

-RNS  "The Last of the True Packers"

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (12/04/86)

asgard@cpro.UUCP writes:
>It is pretty arrogant to force all people to make the same
>poor assumptions.  It breeds elitism and does not help to spread the
>"philosophy" you are trying to spread.  If you really mean what you say
>about free software then you should make some effort to make it more
>available than some mysterious thing like "ftp", which requires a physical
>link to begin with.  The same goes for magtape.  It creates the horrible
>impression that the only people you want to share this "free" software with
>must either be DOD/DARPA-only sites, or sites with the $25K magtape unit,
>which puts the vast majority of us, although sufficiently knowledgable
>about UNIX, into second-class status.

No, no, no, no.  You don't absolutely need FTP, nor do you absolutely
need a magtape unit.  The minimum you need to get by in order to pick
up GNU Emacs is a modem and a willingness to suffer with a 6-hour (or
thereabouts) long distance call to Columbus, Ohio, where osu-eddie
lives.  (For a really rough estimate, figure $8-$10/hour.)  I
distribute the instructions for getting it rather too often, I think,
and Bob Sutterfield just redistributed them again earlier this week.
We have 18.31 available for anybody masochistic enough to get v18
before RMS gives it the final Say-So for general release.  (But it's
doing quite nicely all around right now.)

Don't make rude accusations about supposed elitism until you're sure
of the score.  I originally set up this uucp-availability option for
GNU Emacs specifically *because* I didn't want it to become elitist.

For anyone who saw Bob's latest copy of instructions, be aware that he
referred to 18.30, but diff-18.30-18.31.Z is in place in the same
directory.
--
Karl

matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Matt Crawford) (12/07/86)

CAUTION: HARSH WORDS AHEAD

In article <184@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:

>If you really mean what you say
>about free software then you should make some effort to make it more
>available than some mysterious thing like "ftp", which requires a physical
>link to begin with.  The same goes for magtape.  It creates the horrible
>impression that the only people you want to share this "free" software with
>must either be DOD/DARPA-only sites, or sites with the $25K magtape unit,

Although postings from the likes of J.R. Stoner have been quite
few in number, I am quite sick of them already.  The Free
Software Foundation is undertaking a project of unprecedent
scale and taking great pains to ensure that the fruits of their
labor will be available at nominal cost to whining scum like
Stoner.  But this just isn't enough, is it, Stoner?  Do you want
your copy delivered by courier to your door and installed for
you?

Instead of your whining and bellyaching, why not describe what
format your hardware demands and ask if someone can provide you
with that?  And then promise that you will make copies for all
who need the same medium.  After all, all of us who have
obtained FSF software have the right (but not the obligation!)
to pass it on to others.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt