[comp.emacs] Metaflag + rlogin on Sun3

michael@pbinfo.UUCP (12/09/86)

I have the following problem:

When I am working on a SUN3 with GNUEmacs (17.64), I can use the Meta flag.
But if I 'rlogin' to the same sun with the same account, it doesn't
work any more. Is this a known bug (of rlogin) or am I making some mistake?

	Michael Schmidt

UUCP:  ...!seismo!unido!pbinfo!michael     |  Post: Michael Schmidt
       or michael@pbinfo.UUCP              |        Universitaet-GH Paderborn
CSNET: michael%pbinfo.uucp@Germany.CSNET   |        Warburger Str. 100
                                           |        D-4790 Paderborn
ARPA:  michael%pbinfo.uucp@seismo.css.gov  |        West Germany

tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu (Timothy Freeman) (12/11/86)

The problem with meta keys not working over rlogin is that the rlogin
only passes seven bits per character, thus losing the meta bit.

I have a fix for this.  It is a little filter that translates the key
stroke meta-x to the pair of keys ESC-x for all x.  I use it as a
filter whenever I'm using telnet or rlogin, and the behavior of the
meta keys is correct if I'm using an emacs-like tool on the remote
machine.  (I'm using it this instant, as a matter of fact.)

If you're interested in this, send me mail.  If there is sufficient
interest, I'll post it to mod.sources, otherwise I'll respond to the
mail requests individually.

Tim Freeman

Arpanet: tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu

quiroz@rochester.ARPA (Cesar Quiroz) (12/11/86)

Expires:

From article <33400006@pbinfo.UUCP> (michael@pbinfo.UUCP):
%
%I have the following problem:
%
%When I am working on a SUN3 with GNUEmacs (17.64), I can use the Meta flag.
%But if I 'rlogin' to the same sun with the same account, it doesn't
%work any more. Is this a known bug (of rlogin) or am I making some mistake?
%

An option of rlogin tells it to pass 8-bit bytes, instead of
dropping the 0200 bit.  I have seen it undocumented in our VAXen/4.2
but documented in our Sun/2.0 machines, yet it works in both, so I
would give it a try even if your manual page doesn't mention it.

    rlogin <hostname> -8

=Cesar

--
Cesar Augusto  Quiroz Gonzalez
Department of Computer Science     {allegra|seismo}!rochester!quiroz

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (12/12/86)

In article <23115@rochester.ARPA>quiroz@rochester.ARPA (Cesar Quiroz) writes:
>An option of rlogin tells it to pass 8-bit bytes, instead of
>dropping the 0200 bit.

Note that the -8 option tells rlogin always to use raw mode, and
thus makes ^S/^Q virtually useless.  Nor should any of this be
necessary:  rlogin has built in a protocol by which it can detect
that the remote machine wants an eight bit data path, and will
switch in and out of raw mode as appropriate.

Unfortunately, the 4.2 rlogin (on which the Sun 3.0 rlogin is based)
is largely broken.  Install the 4.3 rlogin, with the 4.3 rcmd.c, on
the Suns.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

jr@ALEXANDER.BBN.COM (John Robinson) (12/13/86)

Not all rlogins have this problem, apparently.  The rlogin on my
sun3/v3.2 passes meta to my vax/Ultrix1.2, and to itself, but the
Vax/Ultrix rlogin won't pass it.  It seems that this has been fixed in
recent releases somewhere.

The mapping META-<foo> to ESC <foo> won't do just the right thing in
all cases - if you have the habit of terminating isearches with a
meta-character, you will find the ESC terminates the search and the
next character is inserted (or otherwise interpreted according to its
binding).

/jr