[comp.emacs] GNUemacs on SysV

murthy@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) (12/12/86)

As I remember, there was a problem with GNUemacs version 17.57 (I think)
core dumping on System V UNIX systems, to wit Vax-11/780 and NCR Tower XP,
after running for a while.  That is, you could run a GNU invocation for
a while, until it suddenly needed memory for something, failed to get it,
and failed with a core dump.  The problem turned up very often when running
the rmail.el package, but it turned up frequently in other places also.
The data segment on these machines was limited to 1Meg, but this should have
resulted in problems with visiting lagre files, not in core dumps.
Has this been fixed?  has this disappeared in 18.32?  Anybody run GNUemacs
on SysV out there?  If so, could you please mail me with your feelings
on this subject?

I am looking for an editor for a SysV system, and the only real choice right
now is Gosling Emacs, since they don't have this problem.

--
	--chet--
In Real Life:		Chet Murthy

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/15/86)

In article <821@svax.cs.cornell.edu> murthy@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) writes:

>As I remember, there was a problem with GNUemacs version 17.57 (I think)
>core dumping on System V UNIX systems, to wit Vax-11/780 and NCR Tower XP,
>after running for a while.

We had similar problems with our earlier version of 17.<5 something>.

>Has this been fixed?  has this disappeared in 18.32?  Anybody run GNUemacs
>on SysV out there?  If so, could you please mail me with your feelings
>on this subject?

We have been running 18.30 successfully for about a week now on our
Series 8000 systems (68020, System V Release 3) without any observed
glitches.

-Fred
Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976