[comp.emacs] hoarding Unix

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (12/19/86)

In article <1082@ihdev.UUCP> dlr@ihdev.UUCP (55224-D. L. Ritchey) writes:
>			...  The so-called "hoarding of information" and
>"wrongness" of someone selling software for a profit are what has
>produced much of the software used to operate and use the network we are
>now reading article from.

Actually, one reason Unix runs this network is because AT&T was
prohibited from selling it!  As a result, they gave it to universities,
and it gathered a following.  Based on what AT&T has done since they
*can* sell it now, we are all lucky it got a start before the, uh,
competitive types killed that nice research result.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa
Call +1 800 854 7179 or +1 714 540 9870 and order X3.159-198x (ANSI C) for $65.