[comp.emacs] International emacs anyone ?

gunnar@hafro.UUCP (Gunnar Stefansson) (12/27/86)

Does anyone know of an emacs(-like) editor that is 8-bit transparent?

It seems that most emacs-es either use the 8th bit for their own
purpose, or strip it off, or insist on displaying non-ascii
characters using octal codes. All we really want is for emacs to
leave the characters alone (except for control characters and escape
sequences, of course).

Has anyone tried to make GNU emacs 8-bit transparent ?

Please reply by mail. If anyone wants me to, I'll post a summary.

Gunnar

Gunnar Stefansson                       {mcvax,enea}!hafro!gunnar
Marine Research Institute, Reykjavik    gunnar@hafro.UUCP

len@geac.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (12/30/86)

In article <304@hafro.UUCP> gunnar@hafro.UUCP (Gunnar Stefansson) writes:

>Does anyone know of an emacs(-like) editor that is 8-bit transparent?
>
>Has anyone tried to make GNU emacs 8-bit transparent ?

I am also interested in finding such an editor. Thank you.

Leonard Vanek                       phone (416) 475-0525
Geac Computers International
350 Steelcase Rd. West
Markham Ontario L3R 1B3
Canada

UUCP ... {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid} !utzoo!yetti!geac!len