[comp.emacs] Gnu Emacs backups

drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) (01/06/87)

ramsey@PURDUE.EDU (Ed Ramsey) writes:
> I would like to create a directory /usr/ramsey/.gnubackup and have
> gnu emacs store all tilde and #*# files there.

This has been followed by a lot of theological discussion about
backups.  Well, I can't solve this at run-time, but if you put the
line

find ~ '(' -name '#*' -o -name '*~' ')' -exec mv -f {} ~/.gnubackup ';'

in your .logout file, then all your checkpoint and backup files will
be moved into your .gnubackup directory.  Of course, this won't happen
until you log out, but that might be better -- the really current
backups will be in the current directory, which is easy to get to if
you mung something.

One note:  If you use numeric backup versions, this will probably
screw up the version numbering.

Dale
--
Dale Worley		Cullinet Software
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw