[comp.emacs] Gnu 18.xx for the 3b2

katinsky@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David Katinsky) (01/14/87)

	I have a 3b2/400 and have been trying to get GnuEmacs running.
With a little bit of work I got it to compile, but when I try to
execute it I am met with a Bus Error. Currently the machine is running
SYSV 2.0. I am assuming [maybe presumptuously] that since m-att3b.h is
in the distribution, that *SOMEBODY* has gotten it to work. Any help
would be appreciated. I don't believe that this is of general
interest, so please send e-mail. If I receive letters of interest I
will gladly post a summary to the net. Thanks in advance.

					dmk--
"Life's a piece of shit, when you look at it......"
						Monty Python's Life of Brian
ARPA:	katinsky@topaz.rutgers.edu
UUCP:	...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!katinsky

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (01/16/87)

katinsky@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
> 	I have a 3b2/400 and have been trying to get GnuEmacs running.
> With a little bit of work I got it to compile, but when I try to
> execute it I am met with a Bus Error. Currently the machine is running
> SYSV 2.0. I am assuming [maybe presumptuously] that since m-att3b.h is
> in the distribution, that *SOMEBODY* has gotten it to work. Any help
> would be appreciated. I don't believe that this is of general
> interest, so please send e-mail. If I receive letters of interest I
> will gladly post a summary to the net. Thanks in advance.

I have had v18 since 18.26 running on all manner of 3b's with no
problem at all.  I use it on a herd of 3b2s (300s & 400s), a few
3b15s, and a 3b20 or two.  No sweat.  I currently have the latest
released level (18.35) installed.  There were a few problems in the
vicinity of 18.26, but those problems have long since been fixed.  My
OS revision levels range from SysV 2.0.4 through SysV 3.0.  Issue 4 of
the C compiler has caused a few additional warnings, but even that was
no grief.

It should have taken no hacking at all to get it to compile.  What
version do you have?  Did you get through temacs -l loadup.el?  Was
m-att3b.h changed to attempt text/data remapping (NO_REMAP removed)?
(NO_REMAP must be left in.)  I haven't seen a bus error in GNU Emacs
on a 3b since about 17.61.
--
Karl