[comp.emacs] Source for MicroEmacs

holtz@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Fred Holtz) (01/09/87)

Could some kind soul please email me the latest version (3.17, 3.18??)
of MicroEmacs for the IBM PC?  The version I currently use has a few
shortcomings.  Sources would be nice but I'll take what I can get...
--

Fred Holtz
holtz@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU

len@geac.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (01/09/87)

In article <2436@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> holtz@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Fred Holtz) writes:

>Could some kind soul please email me the latest version (3.17, 3.18??)
>of MicroEmacs for the IBM PC?  The version I currently use has a few
>shortcomings.  Sources would be nice but I'll take what I can get...

I would also like a copy of the latest version, but I need object
because I do not have a C compiler for my PC. As long as you are
taking the trouble to prepare the source for transmission can you
also please include the uuencoded object as well. Thanks.
Leonard Vanek
Geac Computers

UUCP ... {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid} !utzoo!yetti!geac!len

sbanner1@uvicctr.UUCP (S. John Banner) (01/12/87)

In article <2436@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> holtz@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Fred Holtz) writes:

>Could some kind soul please email me the latest version (3.17, 3.18??)
>of MicroEmacs for the IBM PC?  The version I currently use has a few
>shortcomings.  Sources would be nice but I'll take what I can get...
>--
>
>Fred Holtz
>holtz@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU

Ditto.  Many thanks,

                      S. John Banner

...!uw-beaver!uvicctr!sbanner1
ccsjb@uvvm
sbanner1@uvunix.UVIC.CDN

pitaro@savax.UUCP (Michael Pitaro) (01/12/87)

If you send me a floppy disk with a self addressed mailer and postage
I'll be glad to send MicroEmacs 3.7i to whoever needs it.
If you want to put some software on the disk you send me (no pirated
stuff please) I'd be even more glad but that isn't necessary.

Michael Pitaro
46-D Hampshire Drive
Nashua, NH 03063

decvax!savax!pitaro

glidden@morgoth.UUCP (Ken A. Glidden) (01/12/87)

I was able to get sources, executables, and documentation for uEMACS 3.7i form
the following bulletin board:

The Programmer's Room
(312)742-5533

The executables worked fine on my IBM PC.

LIVE:   Ken A. Glidden, (617) 969-0050
ARPA:	adelie!morgoth!glidden@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
UUCP:	{harvard | ll-xn | mirror | axiom}!adelie!morgoth!glidden

    ^
    |________ should be (317)

LIVE:   Ken A. Glidden, (617) 969-0050
ARPA:	adelie!morgoth!glidden@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
UUCP:	{harvard | ll-xn | mirror | axiom}!adelie!morgoth!glidden

w8sdz@brl-smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (01/17/87)

MicroEmacs 3.7i is alive and well at SIMTEL20.ARPA.  It's available to
Internet users via FTP using the standard anonymous login.  Others
who do not have Internet access may obtain the files via netmail.

To obtain up to five files in a single request message by netmail from
the public domain archives kept on SIMTEL20.ARPA, send a message to:

ARCHIVE-REQUEST@SIMTEL20.ARPA

or via uucp:
   ...!ucbvax!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!uw-beaver!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!decwrl!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!lll-crg!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!ut-sally!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!harvard!simtel20.arpa!archive-request

[do NOT use host "seismo" - they are blocking messages from the server]

The message body must contain lines beginning with the keyword SEND,
one SEND line for each file requested.  Case is not significant.

The general syntax of a SEND line is:

SEND format filename

In general, a filename consists of the following components:

device:<directory>file.type.generation

"device:" is usually PD:, and the combination of PD:<directory> is
expected unless an alias has been advertised of the form "alias:",
which takes the place of both device and directory fields.  The
generation field should be left off in order to default to the highest
generation number so you can be sure of getting the latest version of
the file requested.  "file.type" follows the usual filenaming
conventions.

In all formats listed below, if the file to be sent is larger than
55K, the file is sent in numbered parts.  The parts must be
reassembled in order and edited to remove any headers, preface, and
trailers before the process can be reversed to reconstruct the
original file.

Allowable formats are:

SEND HELP
        This file you are reading now.

SEND INFO
        A detailed description of the SIMTEL20 Archives, which
        includes this file, pointers to certain key files, and
        descriptions of various file transfer programs and related
        utilities.

SEND BOOTSTRAP
        A brief quick reference listing of filenames of the key
        utilities used to reconstruct files sent by the compression
        and encoding techniques listed below.

SEND DIR filespec
        This format returns a CRC list of the requested files, and is
        the only format which allows wildcard filenames (but not
        wildcard directory names).  The list is sent as an ASCII text
        file.  The wildcard characters are "*" and "%".  The asterisk
        means any number of characters, while the percent sign means
        exactly one character.  Either or both may appear in any
        combination in either or both the file or type fields, while
        only the asterisk may appear in the generation field.

SEND RAW filename
        If the file is ASCII, it is sent as-is, regardless of size.
        This format is the least efficient over network and mail
        gateway resources.  Use this format only if you absolutely
        must.

With the four formats listed below, if the file is ASCII and under 25k
characters, it is sent as-is, as if RAW format was requested.  Binary
files are always processed according to the requested format.
However, a request for ARC or SQ processing of files with type ".ARC",
".LBR", or ".%Q%" is ignored and the original file is either uuencoded
or hexified (if possible), according to the requested format.  If the
file was not sent RAW, a short preface is inserted at the front of the
message describing the process actually taken and a CRC entry
describing the original file.

SEND ARE filename  or  SEND filename
        The original file is made into a uuencoded ARC file.

SEND ARH filename
        The original file is made into a hexified ARC file if the ARC
        file is under 64K bytes long.  Otherwise, an apology is
        returned instead of the requested file.

SEND SQE filename
        The original file is made into a uuencoded SQueezed file.

SEND SQH filename
        The original file is made into a hexified SQueezed file if the
        Squeezed file is under 64K bytes long.  Otherwise, an apology
        is returned instead of the requested file.

To get started in finding your way around the SIMTEL20 archives, send
a message to the server with the request: SEND INFO

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ