[net.unix-wizards] SVR2 Mount Points

mikel@codas.ATT.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (02/08/86)

I have been mounting filesystems atop mounted filesystems (ie: /usr/spool
being it's own filesystem mounted atop /usr which is also it's own fs) for
as long as I can remember, and I've seen many other people do it too. I
have never had any problems with this, so long as the filesystem it is
mounted on, gets mounted first.

We use this in the project I'm working on, and someone (who's credibility
I question) is telling me that this is improper, and causes the system to
behave irrationally, and that they cannot use it.

I would like to hear from anyone who is using nested mount points, and
either has or hasn't had any trouble with it, I would certainly appreciate
it if you could send me mail.

Thanks
--
			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			...{ihnp4|akgua|bellcore|clyde|koura}!codas!mikel

In article <466@codas.ATT.UUCP> mikel@codas.ATT.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) writes:
>I have been mounting filesystems atop mounted filesystems ...
>We use this in the project I'm working on, and someone (who's credibility
>I question) is telling me that this is improper, and causes the system to
>behave irrationally, and that they cannot use it.

I don't know which version of Sys V you are using.  Some cannot
support really long mount-point names.  That aside, you must be
sure that the shutdown shell command repeats its unmount-all
shell command pipe line for as many iterations as you have depth
of mounting.  The original has 2, which is fine for /usr/spool,
/usr/src, and /usr/tmp; but breaks down on (e.g.) /usr/src/add-ons.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

mn@ll1.UUCP (Mark Nettleingham) (02/19/86)

> >We use this in the project I'm working on, and someone (who's credibility
> >I question) is telling me that this is improper, and causes the system to
> >behave irrationally, and that they cannot use it.

  We have been using nested file systems for many years on this system and
so far haven't had a single problem because of it.
  The problem of unmounting in sequence during shutdown can be solved
by using df instead of mount. Df reports the file systems in reverse
order. So the line:
df | sed -n -e '/\/tmp /d' -e '/\/ /d' -e 's/^.*(\(.*\)).*/umount \1/p' | sh -
will correctly unmount all file systems in a single pass. Note: the
above line of code was given to me by Jack Allen of Bell South.

   Mark Nettleingham
   ll1!mn