[comp.emacs] MS-DOS GNU?

EWBY@CORNELLA.UUCP.UUCP (02/26/87)

Does there exist, or is someone working on,
a version of Gnuemacs to run on MS-DOS machines ?

David Dean (EWBY%CORNELLA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU)
Cornell Computer Services
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14850

rusty@weyl.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (02/27/87)

Speaking of emacs for MS/DOS, how about a version of Gnu Emacs for
CPM/80?  We have a couple of CPM machines around here and it would be
nice if we had emacs for them.

--------------------------------------

	rusty c. wright
	rusty@weyl.berkeley.edu
	ucbvax!weyl!rusty

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <1033@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> rusty@weyl.Berkeley.EDU (Rusty Wright) writes:
>Speaking of emacs for MS/DOS, how about a version of Gnu Emacs for
>CPM/80?  We have a couple of CPM machines around here and it would be
>nice if we had emacs for them.

If this is a joke, it's not very funny, and is a waste of net $.  If
it isn't, and for the benefit of those who don't realize why it should
be...

The size of GNU Emacs at startup is almost 600K, and after loading a
few packages, and editing a few files (i.e. buffer space), 1.5 Meg is
closer to what you'll need.  It might be possible to get an MSDOS
version up on a system with 640K, but this would require a lot of work
(if it is even possible).

A more practical solution (it might even work on CPM!) is
MicroGNUEmacs (or other MicroEmacs variants), available from
mod.sources.

Jeff Siegal