[comp.emacs] lisp-send-defun in GNU Emacs' Lisp mode

phs@lifia.UUCP (02/24/87)

  When I am editing a Lisp file with  GNU emacs,  while a  Lisp interpreter is
running (actually just waiting for input) in another  buffer, I sometimes have
problems with the lisp-send-defun function,  which should  send the  currently
edited "defun" block to the Lisp interpreter,  taking the new  definition into
account.  What I get is a message

         "writing to process: operation would block, lisp"

and the Lisp interpreter is  really blocked (I have   to send it a  Ctrl-C  to
revive it). This happens more frequently with "big" functions (maybe about  10
lines, that ain't so big).

What is happening ? Is there some way around it ?

Thanks
--
Philippe SCHNOEBELEN,
LIFIA - IMAG,  BP 68                           UUCP : ...mcvax!imag!lifia!phs

"Algebraic symbols are used when you do not know what you are talking about."

desj@brahms.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <1739@lifia.UUCP> phs@lifia.UUCP (Philippe Schnoebelen) writes:

>  When I am editing a Lisp file with  GNU emacs,  while a  Lisp interpreter is
>running (actually just waiting for input) in another  buffer, I sometimes have
>problems with the lisp-send-defun function,  which should  send the  currently
>edited "defun" block to the Lisp interpreter,  taking the new  definition into
>account.  What I get is a message
>
>         "writing to process: operation would block, lisp"
>
>and the Lisp interpreter is really blocked ...

   We have been having the same problem with Scheme running as a subprocess
of Emacs.  It definitely seems to affect only buffers larger than a certain
size (a screenful or so).

   -- David desJardins

Here
are
some
lines
for
inews.

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (02/27/87)

/ desj@brahms.Berkeley.EDU (David desJardins) /  6:34 pm  Feb 25, 1987 /
>   We have been having the same problem with Scheme running as a subprocess
>of Emacs. [...]

Same with Prolog...

Jacob Gore
Northwestern University, Computer Science Research Lab
{ihnp4,chinet}!nucsrl!gore