[comp.emacs] Emacs 18.37

rms@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/13/87)

Emacs 18.37 is now available in the usual places on prep.
It contains a new version of GDB and the C preprocessor.
This is a great deal of change, so there are no diffs yet;
it's not clear that diffs are worthwhile.

There is no split or compressed tar file yet, but I expect
those of you who create them will do so soon.

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (02/14/87)

/ rms@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard M. Stallman) / 10:26 pm  Feb 12, 1987 /
> Emacs 18.37 [...] contains a new version of GDB and the C preprocessor.

	"I do not question, Master, but seek enlightenment"
				-- one of "Kung Fu" episodes, I think...

How do GDB (the GNU Debugger, I take it) and the C preprocessor relate to
Emacs?

Another question:
When I use "M-x shell", all control-characters sent during the communication
with the inferior shell (including ^M) get put into the buffer.  Is there any
way to avoid this?

Jacob Gore
Northwestern University, Computer Science Research Lab
{ihnp4,chinet}!nucsrl!gore

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/16/87)

In article <8702130423.AA14089@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> rms@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard M. Stallman) writes:
>Emacs 18.37 is now available in the usual places on prep.
>There is no split or compressed tar file yet, but I expect
>those of you who create them will do so soon.

The compressed tar file exists, but it is 3,201,173 bytes long.  The
split version would really help.  Would whoever does this, please let
us know when you do, and where the files are on prep?  Many thanks!
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

drw@cullvax.UUCP (02/26/87)

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (Jacob Gore) writes:
> When I use "M-x shell", all control-characters sent during the communication
> with the inferior shell (including ^M) get put into the buffer.  Is there any
> way to avoid this?

I suppose you could hack the code in Emacs that receives the output of
the shell and stuffs it in the buffer to ignore ^M, if you've got a
lot of programs that produce ^M^J for newline.  But what do you want
to do with the other control characters?

Dale
--
Dale Worley		Cullinet Software
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

bryant@endor.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <842@cullvax.UUCP> drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:
>gore@nucsrl.UUCP (Jacob Gore) writes:
>>When I use "M-x shell", all control-characters sent during the communication
>>with the inferior shell (including ^M) get put into the buffer.  Is there any
>>way to avoid this?
>
> I suppose you could hack the code in Emacs that receives the output of
> the shell and stuffs it in the buffer to ignore ^M, if you've got a
> lot of programs that produce ^M^J for newline.  But what do you want
> to do with the other control characters?

we don't get any of the control characters in emacs shells on the
machines at the harvard science center, and i don't think they hacked
the code to relieve the problem.

harvard university/graduate school of arts & sciences/jim bryant -k6
... ihnp4!think!harvard!bryant    bryant@harvard.harvard.edu
--
do not want to die for us, do not want to live for us: live with us.
- ryszard krynicki

ken@argus.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <3910004@nucsrl.UUCP>, gore@nucsrl.UUCP (Jacob Gore) writes:
> / rms@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard M. Stallman) / 10:26 pm  Feb 12, 1987 /
> > Emacs 18.37 [...] contains a new version of GDB and the C preprocessor.
>
> 	"I do not question, Master, but seek enlightenment"
> 				-- one of "Kung Fu" episodes, I think...
Hm. I think I remember that from an episode of "Battlestar Galactica".

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

Gillian: "Are you sure you won't change your mind?"
Spock: "Is there something wrong with the one I have?"

jr@ALEXANDER.BBN.COM.UUCP (02/27/87)

The control characters from shells are generally provided courtesy of
the terminal driver.  Try 'stty nl' to the shell, which tells the
terminal driver that the ``terminal'' (i.e. emacs) will automatically
provide carriage returns for newlines and the tty driver needn't
insert them.

The reason this ``works'' some places and not others is probably
related more to individual users' .profile or .cshrc files than
anything else.

Also, a while back, Robert Wells posted some mods to shell-mode (I
think based on telnet-mode) which work if you let the tty driver echo
- they delete all typed input as it is sent to the shell and then the
tty driver's echo (or the shell's for that matter) pops back just as
though you weren't typing through an emacs window.  One nice feature
is that non-echoed things such as passwords disappear from you buffer
once you hit return.  I don't know if they also suppress the unneeded
CR's or not - I expect not.  I can dig these changes up for anyone
who's interested, as can Robert I expect (rwells@bbn.com).

/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbnccv.uucp

Without life, there wouldn't be chemical companies.

dan@math.uiuc.edu.UUCP (03/01/87)

Just say 'stty nl -echo' as your first command to the shell.
Actually, this seems to be taken care of automatically on my gnu emacs,
except when I rlogin to another machine within one of those shells.

neil@sunybcs.UUCP (03/01/87)

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (Jacob Gore) writes:
> When I use "M-x shell", all control-characters sent during the communication
> with the inferior shell (including ^M) get put into the buffer.  Is there any
> way to avoid this?

How about putting the line
	stty -echo
into your .emacs_csh file - This is assuming that you are using csh.
I assume that the same would work if you put it into .emacs_sh but I
don't know - Neil

pinkas@mipos3.UUCP (03/02/87)

I had the same problem with 17.64.  I solved it by removing all occurances
of tset and xs from my .cshrc.  I found that xs (an alias that ran resize)
was waiting for input and I had to hit some returns before it would
continue.  This input used to be supplied by xterm.  tset run without the
-I option caused the ^M's and the echoing of input.  I moved them all to my
.login or into alias that I run to set ther terminal type.

-Israel
--
User (n.): A programmer who will believe anything you tell him.

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%mipos3.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas%mipos3.intel.com