[comp.emacs] Emacs on Suns

drw@cullvax.UUCP (02/26/87)

I'm running Emacs on Suns.  When Emacs wants to scroll part of the
window up or down, it is *very* slow.  Is this a known problem with a
known solution?  And if so, what is the solution?

Dale
--
Dale Worley		Cullinet Software
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

dld@theory.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/26/87)

We had the same problem.  The fix (sent us by RMS, I believe) is to insert
some padding characters in the scrolling commands in the termcap entry.
This will make emacs think that scrolling is more expensive than it had
thought before (closer to its "true cost"), so that emacs will choose to
redraw the screen instead.

M-|sun-nic|sune|Sun console without insert chararacter:\
	:ic@:im@:ei@:tc=sun:
Mu|sun|Sun Microsystems Workstation console:\
	:li#34:co#80:cl=^L:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=\E[C:up=\E[A:\
	:am:bs:km:mi:ms:pt:\
	:ce=\E[K:cd=\E[J:so=\E[7m:se=\E[m:\
	:kd=\E[B:kl=\E[D:ku=\E[A:kr=\E[C:kh=\E[H:\
	:k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k3=\EOR:k4=\EOS:\
	:al=5*\E[L:dl=5*\E[M:im=:ei=:ic=\E[@:dc=\E[P:

Note on the last line the "5*" in the entries for "al" and "dl".

You can either get this inserted in /etc/termcap instead of the standard
entry, or you can set the environment variable TERMCAP to the string form of
the above on login.  I've also used the same fix for an IBM RT/PC.  Life
becomes much more pleasant.

Dave

escott%rome.uci.edu@ICSG.UCI.EDU.UUCP (02/27/87)

You don't say what kind of Emacs (or what kind of Suns, now that I think
of it), but...

Do you have that multiple line/char insertion and deletion stuff in your
termcap?  Here it is:

        :AL=\E[%dL:DL=\E[%dM:IC=\E[%d@:DC=\E[%dP:

By the way, Jeff Peck <peck@sun.com> has some very great stuff for
GNU Emacs on the Suns, if you'd like to contact him.

 Scott Menter  UCI ICS Computing Support Group   Univ. of Calif. at Irvine
                     (714) 856 7552              Irvine, California  92717

 Internet:  escott@ics.uci.edu             UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!ucivax!escott
 Bitnet:    escott@uci               CSNet: escott%ics.uci.edu@csnet-relay
 Internet (with Name Server):  TBA

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (02/27/87)

     Emacs scrolls slowly on a Sun.  No, that's not a problem,
it's due to the (incredible) overhead of the Sun's (incredible)
display.  You pay a price for all those pixels.

     Yes, there is a known cure.  RMS extended the termcap
definitions a bit.  Here's my termcap:

Mu|sun|Sun Microsystems Workstation:\
	:bs:ta:am:km:mi:ms:pt:\
	:li#34:co#80:\
	:bl=^G:vb=\E[q\200\200\200\200\200\200\200\200\200\200\E[p:\
	:cl=50\f\E[J:cd=50\E[J:\
	:up=\E[A:do=\E[B:nd=\E[C:\
	:kd=\E[B:kl=\E[D:ku=\E[A:kr=\E[C:kh=\E[H:\
	:cm=25\E[%i%d;%dH:ho=25\E[H:\
	:ce=25\E[K:al=\E[L:dl=\E[M:\
--=>	:AL=\E[%dL:DL=\E[%dM:\
	:ic=\E[@:dc=\E[P:\
	:so=\E[7m:se=\E[0m:\
	:ul=\E[7m:ue=\E[0m:\
	:is=\E[s:\
	:rs=\E[s\f:

     The indicated line is RMS's extensions.  These are multi-line
adds and deletes.  They take one parameter, like "cm".  This works
on v18 emacs, but I'm not sure about earlier versions.  I haven't
seen any standard program that gets messed up by this.
--
	David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon
	PhoneNet:	(202) 694-6900

gordon@warwick.UUCP (Gordon Joly) (03/07/87)

In article <307@hqda-ai.UUCP> merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) writes:

>     Emacs scrolls slowly on a Sun.  No, that's not a problem,
>it's due to the (incredible) overhead of the Sun's (incredible)
>display.  You pay a price for all those pixels.
>[...]
>--=>	:AL=\E[%dL:DL=\E[%dM:\
>[...]

I have not seen this fix in action, (above is just one line from
the original posting).
But in my *experience*, the updating is carried out in very
unoptimal way, a process which I describe as shunting. It really does
not have a lot to do with the overhaed.
If you do
  set term=vt100
  setenv TERM vt100
  unsetenv TERMCAP
etc, (ie pretend the screen is a vt100) the process of scrolling
speeds up. Of course, other features like the status line, get
messed up.

Moral. SUN's termcap entry for `sun' is wrong.

Gordon Joly -- {seismo,ucbvax,decvax}!mcvax!ukc!warwick!gordon