[comp.emacs] EDT Emulation in version 17.64

m-liu@flims (Micky Liu) (03/10/87)

I have version 17.64 running and would like to provide some EDT emulation
for our users even though "...other editors are obsolete...".  I have gotten
my hands on keypad.el and edt.el from mit-prep and attempted to install them
but I run into an error with where-is-internal not having the correct number
of parameters...  Any clues?

Thanking you all in advance!

Micky Liu

ARPA: x1.micky@cu20b.columbia.edu
UUCP: ...seismo!columbia!flims!m-rd t

mike@yetti.UUCP (Mike Clarkson ) (03/11/87)

>I have version 17.64 running and would like to provide some EDT emulation
>for our users even though "...other editors are obsolete...".  I have gotten
>my hands on keypad.el and edt.el from mit-prep and attempted to install them
>but I run into an error with where-is-internal not having the correct number
>of parameters...  Any clues?

I wrote the edt.el for GNU Emacs 17.64.  The version I wrote was posted to
usenet last fall, and at that time, it worked with 17.64 under VMS or Unix.
Since then, RMS "cleaned up" my admitedly groddy code, but in doing so
made 2 changes:
1) the current (prep or 18.xx) edt.el will not work with pre 18.xx GNU Emacs,
and
2) he broke a lot of the compatibility with VMS EDT.

The reason for 1) is that 18.xx uses a different scheme for dealing with
terminal escape sequences, and he used this new scheme in his version of edt.el
The reason for 2) is that RMS is not a VMS hacker, and probably rarely uses
EDT.  So in "fixing" my code, he turfed out some clumsy hacks from a Unix
point of view, that were necessary to maintain compatibility with VMS EDT.

I have promised RMS to make the necessary updates to the 18.xx edt.el
to restore the EDT compatibility, but I don't have a copy of 18.xx.
The reason for this is simple:

>	From: rms@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU.UUCP
>	Newsgroups: comp.emacs
>	Subject: Emacs 18.38
>	Date: 4 Mar 87 01:35:54 GMT

>	GNU Emacs 18.38 is now available in the standard places on prep.
>	Differences from 18.37 are 240k.

I sent a tape to FSF in December for an 18.xx distribution, but I marked
it "hold until 18.xx" is stable.  240k for 18.36 -> 18.37 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say, I have yet to see my tape.

Also, I want an 18.xx distribution that runs well on both Unix and VMS,
and from what I read on the VMS-GNUEMACS mailing list, there are still
major problems with 18.xx VMS GNU Emacs (no ptys etc.).  I am still
working on major problems in VMS 17.64-2. (Anyone tried outline.el for
instance? Use outline.el, hide the file, show all, and then see what
happens when you save the file: it dies with a register dump and not
even a traceback.)  I don't want to go to 18.xx if it has more problems
that 17.64 on VMS, even if everything is peaches and cream under Unix.

What I'll do is this: I'll call FSF and get then to ship me the 18.xx tape.
When it arrives, I'll look at edt.el and will fix it and post it to the
net.  In the meantime, look at your net.sources archives around last august
or september, and that version *will* work with 17.64.  It was posted in
3 parts with the following subject lines:

 Gnu Emacs EDT Emulation - Introduction - 1/3
 Gnu Emacs EDT Emulation - edtdoc.el - 2/3
 Gnu Emacs EDT Emulation - edt.el - 3/3

If you can't find it, send me mail and I'll be happy to mail you a copy.

If anyone else has any problems with edt.el in any form, on any version,
please send me mail, and I'll see if I can fix it.  Please send me the
GNU Emacs version number that you are using.  This goes for bugs as well
as incompatabilities, features that are missing or wrong, etc...

Mike Clarkson,		  ...!allegra \			BITNET:	mike@YUYETTI or
CRESS, York University,	  ...!decvax   \			SYMALG@YUSOL
4700 Keele Street,	  ...!ihnp4     > !utzoo!yetti!mike
North York, Ontario,	  ...!linus    /
CANADA M3J 1P3.		  ...!watmath /		Phone: +1 (416) 736-2100 x 7767

"...the most inevitable business communications system on the planet."
						- ROLM magazine advertisement
 which planet?