[comp.emacs] Turning off xon-xoff using a blit with gnumacs + layers server code

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <5680@philabs.UUCP> rob@philabs.UUCP (Rob Robertson) writes:
>I just inherited a Blit (dmd 5620) and am trying to use gnu emacs.
>The problem is that the blit does xon-xoff flow control, can't find
>any switches to turn it off.  Is anyone out there using gnumacs
>with a blit who has solved this problem.

I'm posting rather than replying as this may be of general interest.
(I assume you are using layers, as the bare DMD does let flow control
control through with the "pass flow" set from the host options)
True, the general layers software does trap ^S/^Q.  This is especially
true with 1.0 or 1.1 ROMs.  The way to get around this is to run one
of the terminal programs in your window.  hp2621 works just fine, as
does emacsterm, and especially myx.  This is the simple fix.  The myx
software also comes with a quickie fix program for earlier ROMs flow
control problems (myx is available from the AT&T Toolchest).  Now,
another free software offer....  I have a set of functions, partially
using the sun mouse stuff to give a myx window pointing with the mouse
and some other features.  Just send mail if you want it.  It works
rather well.  Also, if anyone who requested the client/server code as
not received it, please resend me mail, as my machine recently dropped
a lot of both incoming and outgoing mail, and it might have got lost.
--

Paul Guthrie
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg			This Brain left intentionally blank.