[comp.emacs] GCC: Anyone working on a port?

jeff@jplpub1.UUCP (03/25/87)

Now that Richard M. Stallman and the Free Software Foundation have
released the first beta test of GCC (Gnu C), is anyone working or
planning to work on a port to the Atari ST?

The software is available via anonymous FTP from my machine, btw.
Internet address is 128.149.1.8, just in case.  ~ftp/earle/gcc.tar.Z:

...1054128 Mar 23 22:34 gcc.tar.Z

Hmmm..a CRIPPLED ACCOUNTANT with a FALAFEL sandwich is HIT by a TROLLEY-CAR..

Jeff Skaletsky
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
System Engineering Group
Computing and Communication Network Support Services

Try these:	jeff@jplpub1.JPL.NASA.GOV
		seismo!cit-vax!elroy!jplpub1!jeff
		elroy!jplpub1!jeff@csvax.caltech.edu
		jeff@jpl-milvax.ARPA

Mail: 464 W. Woodbury Rd.  Altadena, CA 91001
Phone: (818)354-7677

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (03/28/87)

In article <3450@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jeff@jplpub1.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Skaletsky) writes:
>Now that Richard M. Stallman and the Free Software Foundation have
>released the first beta test of GCC (Gnu C), is anyone working or
>planning to work on a port to the Atari ST?
>Jeff Skaletsky
>Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Just a quick overview of the compiler seems to indicate that porting GCC
will NOT be a trivial (nor possibily 'doable') task.  It's sprinkled
with alloca 's  and comsumes 'huge' amounts of memory when optimizing.
Sprinkle in one or two 68000 code generation err's and you begin to get
the picture.  STill it may have tons of code that is 'modifiable' to get
it working on a non-UNIX no-MMU system.....  but lots of it needs
changing.  Remember the ST is FAMOUS for it's horrible memory allocation
routines and this compiler seems to love choking down memory.

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

apratt@atari.UUCP (03/30/87)

in article <594@elmgate.UUCP>, jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) says:
> it working on a non-UNIX no-MMU system.....  but lots of it needs
> changing.  Remember the ST is FAMOUS for it's horrible memory allocation
> routines and this compiler seems to love choking down memory.

Please be fair: The ST does have some problems with the GEMDOS routine
Malloc, but once your program (i.e. gcc) is running, you own all of the
largest free block of memory in the system.  Your stack pointer is at
the top of this block, and your text+data+bss are at the bottom.
Memory allocators like malloc (that's little-m, as in a library
routine, not a system call) manage the memory between the end of your
bss and your stack pointer.  This can be upwards of 3/4 Mbyte in a 1040
without a RAMDISK.  If your library routines are buggy, it isn't
Gemdos's fault.  In the case of the Alcyon C compiler, malloc and free
work very well, and form one of the really useful and bulletproof parts
of that library.  Too bad malloc only takes an int size argument...

My point is that the system call Malloc is not intended for generalized
memory management, but rather for system-level allocations for process
TPAs and the like.

/----------------------------------------------\
\----------------------------------------------/

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <689@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>in article <594@elmgate.UUCP>, jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) says:
>> it working on a non-UNIX no-MMU system.....  but lots of it needs
>> changing.  Remember the ST is FAMOUS for it's horrible memory allocation
>> routines and this compiler seems to love choking down memory.
>
>Please be fair: The ST does have some problems with the GEMDOS routine
>Malloc, but once your program (i.e. gcc) is running, you own all of the
>largest free block of memory in the system.  Your stack pointer is at
>of that library.  Too bad malloc only takes an int size argument...
>My point is that the system call Malloc is not intended for generalized
>memory management, but rather for system-level allocations for process
>TPAs and the like.
>/----------------------------------------------\
>| Opinions expressed above do not necessarily  |  -- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>| reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else. |     ...lll-lcc!atari!apratt
>\----------------------------------------------/

Allan I'm sorry, but I thought I *WAS* being fair.  Allan I'm not
pointing a finger at you (although I am pointing it at Atari).  Atari
(not you) sold me ^&%^% for an OS.  I keep it simply because there is no
way for me to ever get what I spent back. This is normal.  But tell your
boss if he had decided to release a *MINIMALLY TESTED* product, instead
of trying to steal CBM's thunder, he'd get alot more user to user
recommendations and alot more repeat business.  Most of the people here
on the NET know something about computers.  Many recommend them to
others.  You can't gloss over statments like 'well it wasn't intend to
allocate user memory'.  It a bug.  A bad one, just like 40 folders.  One
that should NEVER have gotten out the door.  People get fired for bugs
like that in shipping products (or at least demoted).

It'll wash on CIS but not here...........