[comp.emacs] quick-start editors

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <1424@hplabsc.UUCP>, mayer@hplabsc.UUCP (Niels Mayer) writes:
> Can I use it [microGNU] to replace elle as my "quick startup" editor?

With undump, almost anything can become a quick-startup editor.  We,
for example, have a variant of Gosling Emacs to which I added the
capability to coredump itself, it then being possible to use undump to
create a version with all the functions preloaded which starts as fast
as the raw version.  This version is usually comparable to vi (my
previous "quick start" editor) in startup speed.  Similar things could
probably be done with almost any editor.

Isn't real GNU Emacs undumped?  Why isn't it quick-start then?

					der Mouse

Smart mailers: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

dan@applix.UUCP (04/08/87)

>Isn't real GNU Emacs undumped?  Why isn't it quick-start then?
>
>					der Mouse
It is undumped -- it's about as "quick-start" as any 704K program can be (the
size given is the decimal total returned by 'size' on my Sun-3).

                                           dan

...!seismo!harvard!halleys!applix!dan