[comp.emacs] X10 1, GNUmacs 0

benson@ksr.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <50@ksr.UUCP> benson@ksr.UUCP () writes:

>On a SunIII, in X10, running emacs in an xterm, Left dosen't work for
>meta.
>
>Can anybody give me any suggestions?

This problem was solved by getting a correct TERMCAP entry for xterm.

However, I'm getting some other odd behavior.

First off, the mouse cursor has a an extra pixel turned on off to the
left.

Second, I can't get any mouse reaction in emacs unless caps-lock is
set.  This, of course, has pernicious effects when I go to add text.
Then, all the mouse clicks are as documented (more or less).

Third, when I want to use emacs for my editor when posting from rn,
I have to go supply a window size from the mouse, which is a pain.

Benson I. Margulies                         Kendall Square Research Corp.
harvard!ksr!benson			    All comments the responsibility
ksr!benson@harvard.harvard.edu		    of the author, if anyone.

bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) (04/18/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.36.2 of Mon Feb 23 1987 on diva (berkeley-unix)

In article <58@ksr.UUCP> benson@ksr.UUCP (Benson Margulies) writes:

>   Second, I can't get any mouse reaction in emacs unless caps-lock is
>   set.  This, of course, has pernicious effects when I go to add text.
>   Then, all the mouse clicks are as documented (more or less).

I use GNU Emacs for everything, and I've only seen this behavior once.
One possibility is that your window manager is catching the other mouse
events. When I was first setting up my .uwmrc, I incorrectly made assumptions
about the behavior of uwm. The net result was that uwm trapped the mouse
events that I wanted to use in emacs.

>   Third, when I want to use emacs for my editor when posting from rn,
>   I have to go supply a window size from the mouse, which is a pain.

I don't know anything about rn, but unless the geometry is provided to
GNU emacs, it will need to be placed. I personally prefer to use GNU emacs
as an environment where I read news, read mail, and edit. My experience
tells me that GNU emacs is not a good editor for invoking from another
program to do quick editing. GNU emacs is huge and takes too long
to load for that purpose. It seems to me that it would be better to
start in emacs and deal with news and mail from within emacs.

		Bob Amstadt

		bob@wiley.uucp (UUCP)
		trwrb.uucp!wiley!bob (Alternate UUCP)
		csvax.caltech.edu!wiley!bob (Alterna"  Wuter16RUod fi