[comp.emacs] Emacs - 8 bits?

porr@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Greg Porr) (04/24/87)

I've used emacs only minimally, but I've been asked if emacs can, unlike
vi, handle 8 bit characters (for International users).  I perused some of
the source and it appeared so, but I'd like to be sure.  Thanks!

"Mr. Owl, how many licks does it take
 to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?"
                                                 Greg Porr

meissner@dg_rtp.UUCP (Michael Meissner) (04/27/87)

In article <2393@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> porr@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Greg Porr) writes:
> I've used emacs only minimally, but I've been asked if emacs can, unlike
> vi, handle 8 bit characters (for International users).  I perused some of
> the source and it appeared so, but I'd like to be sure.  Thanks!

You didn't mention which of the ten thousand emacs variant's you were using.
I do know that microGnuEmacs does read all 8 bits (it bit me, because at DG
terminals are usually set by operations to be 7 bit + mark parity [8th bit
set high always]).
--
	Michael Meissner, Data General	Uucp: ...mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!meissner

It is 11pm, do you know what your sendmail and uucico are doing?

gunnar@hafro.UUCP (04/29/87)

In article <1772@dg_rtp.UUCP> meissner@dg_rtp.UUCP (Michael Meissner) writes:
>In article <2393@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> porr@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Greg Porr) writes:
>> I've used emacs only minimally, but I've been asked if emacs can, unlike
>> vi, handle 8 bit characters (for International users).  I perused some of
>> the source and it appeared so, but I'd like to be sure.  Thanks!
>
>You didn't mention which of the ten thousand emacs variant's you were using.
>I do know that microGnuEmacs does read all 8 bits (it bit me, because at DG
>terminals are usually set by operations to be 7 bit + mark parity [8th bit
>set high always]).

I posted a summary a month or two ago of what the various emacses do
and don't do to the 8th bit.  Not a single one is really ready as it
comes.  However, the changes to the above MicroGnuEmacs are in only
one or two lines (one needs to set the default bindings of the
'meta-' keys to self-insert and compile without the DO_METAKEY
option).  MicroEmacs should be fairly easy too.

I'd presume the question was about GNU Emacs, in which case the
answer is that one needs to do quite a bit of work.

If you would like the summary or further info, I can mail it to you.

Gunnar

Gunnar Stefansson                       {mcvax,enea}!hafro!gunnar
Marine Research Institute, Reykjavik    gunnar@hafro.UUCP